PSP Go thread-

Btw, I hope I've spoken too soon. Apparently there's a Sony press conference coming up momentarily, which I was unaware of. I thought that intro was it...which would have been dreadfully disappointing...

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Thats always the case.[/QUOTE]

Well, with the PSP Go it is. Usually we get some decent treatment. But if Sony wasn't originally Japanese, I'd consider filing for domestic abuse. Wonder if I can get SCEA for it...

*******PSPgo upgraders to receive three free games*********

Sony has announced that people with existing UMD games who want to upgrade to the new PSPgo, due out on October 1, will receive three free downloads of full games.

The PSPgo Rewards program involves registering a PSPgo on PSN, then logging on to PSN with an existing PSP with a UMD in the drive, which allows you to download a special PSPgo theme and then presents you with a voucher via email for use with the PSPgo.

The voucher will be redeemable for three of 17 available titles, which will include Killzone: Liberation, SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3, WipEout Pure, Everybody's Golf, echochrome, Buzz!: Brain Bender, Buzz!: Master Quiz, LocoRoco and Patapon, reports Eurogamer.

PSPgo Rewards will be available from October 1 until March 31 2010 and is open to people with any existing PSP model and at least one UMD who buy and register a PSPgo during that timeframe.

The issue of how people with existing PSPs might "upgrade" their UMD collections to work on the download-only PSPgo has been debated since the system's E3 unveiling, but a solution has yet to be announced by Sony.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pspgo-upgraders-to-receive-three-free-games

[quote name='Ivanhoe']*******PSPgo upgraders to receive three free games*********

Sony has announced that people with existing UMD games who want to upgrade to the new PSPgo, due out on October 1, will receive three free downloads of full games.

The PSPgo Rewards program involves registering a PSPgo on PSN, then logging on to PSN with an existing PSP with a UMD in the drive, which allows you to download a special PSPgo theme and then presents you with a voucher via email for use with the PSPgo.

The voucher will be redeemable for three of 17 available titles, which will include Killzone: Liberation, SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3, WipEout Pure, Everybody's Golf, echochrome, Buzz!: Brain Bender, Buzz!: Master Quiz, LocoRoco and Patapon, reports Eurogamer.

PSPgo Rewards will be available from October 1 until March 31 2010 and is open to people with any existing PSP model and at least one UMD who buy and register a PSPgo during that timeframe.

The issue of how people with existing PSPs might "upgrade" their UMD collections to work on the download-only PSPgo has been debated since the system's E3 unveiling, but a solution has yet to be announced by Sony.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pspgo-upgraders-to-receive-three-free-games[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s
Let's hope that's not the full scope of the program.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']:whistle2:s
Let's hope that's not the full scope of the program.[/QUOTE]

That's only for Japan though right? Echochrome never got a UMD release here.

[quote name='Halo05']That's only for Japan though right? Echochrome never got a UMD release here.[/QUOTE]

The only clue is it says it starts Oct 1st. which is the usa and europe release date for the go.

Japan is nov 1st.

[quote name='Halo05']That's only for Japan though right? Echochrome never got a UMD release here.[/QUOTE]

The original cited article is Eurogamer, was it released there?

Also,

Sony also unveiled a PSPgo converter cable adapter today, which will allow existing PSP peripherals, such as the 1Seg Tuner and GPS receiver, to be used with the upgraded hardware.

I don't have either but that's good.

According to Kotaku, it doesn't matter that you have the actual UMD of the game you want, just any one UMD (hell, pick up Jaxter for $3 at EBgames) will work and you can download any three of the available games for free.

Pretty lame IMO. Why would I still have my old PSP3000 if I were buying a Go? Wouldn't the rational person trade it in or sell it to raise funds for the GO? I guess I could hold onto mine until after then just sell it away on eBay or here at CAG, but its kind of backwards thinking.

If this is their "rewards" program, where is the "goodwill" program? Or are they one in the same?

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I'm confused... G4 says one thing and Eurogamer says another... Did someone make a mistake?[/QUOTE]

Yep, Sony did...

I guess this explains why Sony was being so coy about their "Good will" program. This screws people who have A) Already sold their PSPs in anticipation of the Go release. B) Were planning on cashing in on inevitable Gamestop tradein promos.

[quote name='Nibi']I guess this explains why Sony was being so coy about their "Good will" program. This screws people who have A) Already sold their PSPs in anticipation of the Go release. B) Were planning on cashing in on inevitable Gamestop tradein promos.[/QUOTE]

C) Are outside of the European territory.

[quote name='blackjaw']If this is their "rewards" program, where is the "goodwill" program? Or are they one in the same?[/QUOTE]

They're probably the same.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. That seals it.

Edit:
sony-nixes-plans-for-umd-conversion-program-for-pspgo[/QUOTE]

No kidding. A $250 system with no upgrades to its graphics or control scheme, that's not compatible with any of the existing games or accessories, and which is forced to buy all of its games from Sony's online store?

This seems like the final nail in the coffin. I can't see this thing succeeding. Maybe with a substantial price cut, but the lack of the UMD exchange program is going to eliminate anybody who would have bought the PSPgo as an upgrade to their older models. With that group removed...I just don't see much of a market for this device.

And the sad thing is, if Sony hadn't mentioned the goodwill program, all of the bad press they just generated wouldn't exist.

I've never had any intention to buy this, or any form of PSP, however, I felt like chiming in on Sony offering no sort of way to get your UMD games on the Go. It seems like a total stab in the back to early adopters of the PSP. I honestly do not see this thing succeeding at all.

I might still buy it eventually, just not right now. I'm pretty happy just playing my PSone games that are on PSN off my mem stick.

If every game studio is going to start releasing digital, then, and only then, will I get one. I don't want to be left out in the cold waiting for a game that is on UMD but not digital and regretting buying the GO. Hell, I really want to play FF:Dissidia but am waiting to see if Squeenix releases a digital version first, something they've made no mention of, which bugs me.

The PSP Go: great idea, horrible execution.

[quote name='SEH']I've never had any intention to buy this, or any form of PSP, however, I felt like chiming in on Sony offering no sort of way to get your UMD games on the Go. It seems like a total stab in the back to early adopters of the PSP. I honestly do not see this thing succeeding at all.[/QUOTE]

It's really beginning to piss me off to be honest. Sony has avoided the subject for long enough. And I preordered the Go. It's coming Oct 1st, release date delivery, via Amazon Prime.

What am I going to do? I don't know, I have 7 days to decide ifI want to bring it back to a store for store credit. (I got it at a discount, so i'd mean earning money, unlike cancelling) But I don't own a PSP, and I do want to be able to PLAY a PSP. So...3000, 2000, or Go...

Damn Sony. Damn them entirely. The PSP Go issues start with GT PSP going to European preorder-ers, and now there's no UMD program at all for US? They're lucky I bought my PS3 so long ago--I honestly would consider avoiding Sony's gaming division for this kind of bs. I love their systems, and love Sony in general, but things like this shed light on how Sony really feels about (and treats) their customers. I don't know if I'll be back to this thread for a while. I'm getting disgusted thinking about these discussions right now, and all of Sony's bs...

I agree it sucks right now. However, they said no umd program in place at this time due to legal and technical reasons, that means it's still possible. That should be reflected in the OP instead of acting like its 100% never possible. I don't see what the problem is just continuing to use the PSP you own or buying a 3000. Sure it's unforunate but there are still options.

[quote name='J7.'] Sure it's unforunate but there are still options.[/QUOTE]
There are, but this is the "go" thread.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So, at this point what kind of failure are we talking? Virtual Boy, Lynx, Game Gear? Which one will it be?[/QUOTE]

Atari Jaguar CD-Rom drive.

[quote name='J7.']I agree it sucks right now. However, they said no umd program in place at this time due to legal and technical reasons, that means it's still possible. That should be reflected in the OP instead of acting like its 100% never possible. I don't see what the problem is just continuing to use the PSP you own or buying a 3000. Sure it's unforunate but there are still options.[/QUOTE]

Here's the deal, any solution they have right now to allow you to download UMDs to the new PSP would probably circumvent any copy protection on UMDs thus completely gutting any support for the original PSP/UMDs from publishers. They probably are starting to doubt the success of the Go so if they alienate any developer support for the original PSP/UMDs and the Go doesn't take off they'd be completely dead in the water.

Now they can release the Go, spend a marginal amount of money keeping it going and shift their focus back to the original PSP. Have a kind of split market with PSP games continuing to get released on UMD and as digital download.

Would they like to see everyone switch to Go and drop the old PSP? Definitely, but I think they're starting to see the writing on the wall and realize that while they may sell a decent amount, perhaps enough to break even if they're lucky, the support from retailers and consumers just isn't there for a long term product.

Its really a shame that they decided to get this foolishly ambitious just as the PSP was starting to come around with new game releases ramping up. I can only hope this move doesn't end up completely destroying the PSP brand.

Blame all those dishonest people who pirate PSP stuff and many dishonest people in this world. It would be costly on Sony's end (shipping, hiring people to sort through games and hand out codes. What would they do with old UMDs?), and people cheating the system defeats the purpose of digital downloads in a way. For an example, people buying used games at GameStop and sending them in, Sony doesn't get any money or benefit, only GameStop or some used game seller. That defeats the purpose of them selling digital downloads (to make money). If they allowed people to rip games, you better bet people would rip them and trade them into GameStop. Even if Sony charged a small fee to do it, they'd still earn less money overall and people would probably try to find a way to hack it. Now if PSP UMDs were built from the get go where once you rip a game, the UMD would no longer work, then it would be possible.

Also, I knew for a fact not every single publisher/developer is going to agree to having their game up as a digital download in the PS Store. If some record labels/artist have issues with it for stuff, it would not shock me some publishers are the same way. If a particular publisher rather not have certain games downloadable in the PS Store, than what can Sony do (nothing, because they can't force it on them because there was no contract signed from the get go). I wouldn't be surprised if future games, developers were signed into contract they have to be released on the PS Store also or no releasing it. That also makes it hard to do a trade-in program.

To make things somewhat better, I DO see some publishers offering a temporary sale, so if you want a download to a game you own, you can buy it cheap.

But like I said, the PSP Go is just a test, NOT a PSP replacement. If it was a replacement for the PSP-3000, we would not see GT PSP and AC PSP bundled with a 3000. The Go IS intended to be a premium product, testing the digital download only area to decide whether future platforms can go DD only, or if physical media is needed.

I'm still going to buy a Go, but I plan to divide up games I get between Go and UMD. If I love the Go so much, I may stop buying UMD games all together.

They said no umd program in place at this time due to legal and technical reasons, that means it's still possible. That should be reflected in the OP instead of acting like its 100% never possible.

[quote name='J7.']They said no umd program in place at this time due to legal and technical reasons, that means it's still possible. That should be reflected in the OP instead of acting like its 100% never possible.[/QUOTE]
Updated for J7.
Legal Disclaimer: There is still a chance the PSPgo can cure cancer, make your genitals grow larger, and boost your IQ by 20%.

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL H3LLBRING3R OR HIS INFORMATION SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE MATERIALS, EVEN IF H3LLBRING3R HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU BUT DOES.
[/FONT]

I heard sony was going to make up for the lack of a UMD upgrade program by offering anyone willing to trade in an old psp a set of virtual glasses that will allow players to play games in black and red!

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']It's really beginning to piss me off to be honest. Sony has avoided the subject for long enough. And I preordered the Go. It's coming Oct 1st, release date delivery, via Amazon Prime.

What am I going to do? I don't know, I have 7 days to decide ifI want to bring it back to a store for store credit. (I got it at a discount, so i'd mean earning money, unlike cancelling) But I don't own a PSP, and I do want to be able to PLAY a PSP. So...3000, 2000, or Go...[/QUOTE]

If I were you, I'd just go for one of the older model PSPs and a big memory stick. If you're starting fresh, the Go should be fine, but I'd still pick the older PSP for the chance of clearance, sale and used games. If the PSPgo is as underwhelming as it shapes up to be, the download store might fall into neglect.

[quote name='J7.']I agree it sucks right now. However, they said no umd program in place at this time due to legal and technical reasons, that means it's still possible. That should be reflected in the OP instead of acting like its 100% never possible. I don't see what the problem is just continuing to use the PSP you own or buying a 3000. Sure it's unforunate but there are still options.[/QUOTE]

They did say that it's still possible. It's also possible that Israel and Palestine will sign a peace treaty in four hours, or that the pandas at the National Zoo will burst into flames.

"Possible" and "likely" aren't the same thing.

Given that Sony was hyping this as one of the reasons to switch to a PSPgo and they've just killed off a very large portion of their early adopter market with this announcement, there is very little benefit to getting through all of the legal and technical wrangling necessary to make this work, to start the program after the PSPgo launches. If they begin a goodwill program six months from now, there won't be nearly as many people interested in upgrading, once the launch hype is gone and people have had time to dissect the PSPgo and any of its flaws.

It may still be "possible," but I guarantee that Sony's plan now is to just wait, try to forget they ever announced plans for the goodwill program, and hope (in vain) that everybody else forgets too.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So, at this point what kind of failure are we talking? Virtual Boy, Lynx, Game Gear? Which one will it be?[/QUOTE]

The Game Boy Micro would be an apt comparison...if it was incompatible with the current generation games that shipped before its release.

Virtual Boy is probably the best fit. That said, you left a lot of options out of that list. No NGage? No CDi? No 3DO?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about total failure. I'm sure the Japanese crowd will buy in close to 2 million of these suckers in a month. They love their tech, and they pretty much download everything already... correct?

The UMD to download program was the biggest blow to me, second was the price, the TKO from Piston Honda was the fact theres no incentive to go with a go considering pretty much everything is coming to disc for the major releases. If your a new PSP owner or a tech junkie you'll probably get it eventually regardless.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love that this .gif can still be used, three years after its introduction.

sony_bullshit_anim4.gif

Warner Bros. allowed consumers to trade their HD-DVD's for Blurays after the format was discontinued. Heck, all you had to do was send in your HD-DVD jacket. Sony could easily do something similar. They can't force other publishers to do the same, but it would still create a lot of goodwill.

SOCOM
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
LocoRoco
LocoRoco 2
Killzone: Liberation
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Jeanne d'Arc
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Patapon
Patapon 2
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2
Secret Agent Clank
MLB 09: The Show
Resistance: Retribution

[quote name='paddlefoot']Warner Bros. allowed consumers to trade their HD-DVD's for Blurays after the format was discontinued. Heck, all you had to do was send in your HD-DVD jacket. Sony could easily do something similar. They can't force other publishers to do the same, but it would still create a lot of goodwill.

SOCOM
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
LocoRoco
LocoRoco 2
Killzone: Liberation
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Jeanne d'Arc
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Patapon
Patapon 2
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2
Secret Agent Clank
MLB 09: The Show
Resistance: Retribution[/QUOTE]

That's actually a lot like what Sony is doing in Europe - if you access PSN using a PSP with a UMD in its drive, you can download three titles for free. Problem is, they aren't doing it here - they're doing absolutely nothing.

If they made even a slight gesture to people who already own PSPs (or hadn't promised the program in the first place), the negative reaction that they're seeing now would be much less severe.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']i recommend the OP be retitled... just like the kotaku article it's misleading.[/QUOTE]

Remember that feature they promised in January 2008 that allowed you to stick any Blu-ray title into your PS3 and convert it for your PSP?

What about the loss of backwards compatibility in the PS3 and the leaked rumors of the PS2 catalog appearing - for sale - on PSN?

This is the exact same thing. Due to legal issues (first example), the desire to ensure that Sony makes the profit instead of GameStop (second example), the ability to control the distribution and pricing of games with DRM (second example again)...no matter what rationale Sony used, it boils down to the same end result: they promised, in a very public way, something they either cannot or no longer desire to deliver as a feature of their product. They threw the "possible" line in there to try and pacify optimists and fanboys, but their track record leads me to believe that this will be another unfulfilled promise. Anyone who thinks otherwise is indulging in seriously wishful thinking, or delusional.

bread's done
Back