PSP GPS System

nefaquotek

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I dont think they ever released it here in the states but would it be recommended that I'd import it from Japan?

I mean does it have the maps I want (mostly Dallas area), can it work on a US PSP, do I need to pay for some subscription of any kind?

If anyone knows any of the above, I'd highly appreciate it.

THanks.

Sony's supposed to be bringing the GPS and the camera to the US sometime this year once they get some good software to release alongside it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sony's supposed to be bringing the GPS and the camera to the US sometime this year once they get some good software to release alongside it.[/quote]

That would be sweet. Now if I get that 4GB memory stick to listen to my songs (I have like 50 songs so I'm not worried on memory space), and buy a bunch of REALLY cheap games.......then I can justify my purchasing a PSP.

You know instead of... well I just had to play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.

By the way does anyone know where to get those japanese idol model psp games? A cheap place of course.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sony's supposed to be bringing the GPS and the camera to the US sometime this year once they get some good software to release alongside it.[/quote]

Funny this was all brought up now since Sony has admited to focusing on the PS3 more than the PSP lately (and who wouldn't honestly).

I really would like a GPS too. I mean what, $70 or so more (I'm including software and the device) to turn my PSP into a GPS/game/music/video/picture/web browsing machine is just too cool. F what it can do for games, what about what it can do for me getting some directions yarg!

The camera is too gimicky in my opinion though. 1.3 megapixels is old news. My phone and webcam got that. I don't need it again. The should have opted for like 3 megapixels or greater. Even if they did, the PSP doesn't seem to great as a camera because it's so wide and it's not meant to be held in one hand.

Anyway, Sony's PSP has still so much untapped potential. I really hope they kick into high gear in 07.

PS. Hey Sony, where's my tv remote software. I mean, what else are we going to do with this IR port... ha ha aha.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://psp.ign.com/articles/774/774983p2.html

The question at the bottom of the page has a little more info on the GPS/camera's pending release.[/quote]

OOO, I was trying to read this article and for some reason it kept coming up to a blank page. Thanks for the info, I'll definatley buy it if it appears in the future.

GPS should work in Mexico too right? (I'm Mexican and take lots of vacations there. It'd be pretty cool to give directions to someone from here to there)

[quote name='FurryCurry']Funny this was all brought up now since Sony has admited to focusing on the PS3 more than the PSP lately (and who wouldn't honestly).

Funny thing is they have neglected the PSP even before the added focus on the PS3.

If they release something that makes the PSP become a GPS system, im hopping on the PSP bandwagon. I would be all over the system just for that, not to mention some games I wouldn't mind getting.

[quote name='nefaquotek']OOO, I was trying to read this article and for some reason it kept coming up to a blank page. Thanks for the info, I'll definatley buy it if it appears in the future.

GPS should work in Mexico too right? (I'm Mexican and take lots of vacations there. It'd be pretty cool to give directions to someone from here to there)[/quote]
I'm betting that the GPS map software they're working on will include all of North America so that anybody can enjoy it. Hopefully an official announcement isn't far away so you can see what specifically they will have available.

Well, if you PSP supports homebrew, you can always just download this:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/map-this...-support-for-psp-290-gps-accessory-49838.html

Supposedly you can download any maps for any region for it (I htink from google maps), but I don't have GPS yet so I haven't tested it.. It's tempting since I can do homebrew, though. :p

Also I think if you have some regular GPS devices, you can buy a converter cord to work with the PSP so you dont have to buy the Sony one.

[quote name='FurryCurry']
The camera is too gimicky in my opinion though. 1.3 megapixels is old news. My phone and webcam got that. I don't need it again. The should have opted for like 3 megapixels or greater. Even if they did, the PSP doesn't seem to great as a camera because it's so wide and it's not meant to be held in one hand.
[/quote]
have you actually tried using it? i know its only 1.3mp but it was good enough. it could even take videos, and they are widescreen which was awesome. theres very few digital cameras that could do this (widescreen) right now. i guess this is really what the purpose is for this camera.. im guessing this camera is not going to see the light of day here in the U.S.

anybody remember the EYE TOY for the PS2? and the fact that the PSP is sorta abandoned at the moment doesn't really help much. i would get it if its around $50 cause i think thats all that its worth.

[quote name='Sinistar']Well, if you PSP supports homebrew, you can always just download this:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/map-this-version-0-461s-beta-with-support-for-psp-290-gps-accessory-49838.html

Supposedly you can download any maps for any region for it (I htink from google maps), but I don't have GPS yet so I haven't tested it.. It's tempting since I can do homebrew, though. :p

Also I think if you have some regular GPS devices, you can buy a converter cord to work with the PSP so you dont have to buy the Sony one.[/quote]

Thanks but I already upgrade my PSP to the current firmware so I dont think it supports homebrew.

GPS devices are usually quite expensive and I might be better off with the Sony one just because it SHOULD be speciallized for the system. Though I'm not 100% sure on that.

Might be a better deal. Will have to wait till Sony releases the GPS over here.

[quote name='phear3d']have you actually tried using it? i know its only 1.3mp but it was good enough. it could even take videos, and they are widescreen which was awesome. theres very few digital cameras that could do this (widescreen) right now. i guess this is really what the purpose is for this camera.. im guessing this camera is not going to see the light of day here in the U.S.

anybody remember the EYE TOY for the PS2? and the fact that the PSP is sorta abandoned at the moment doesn't really help much. i would get it if its around $50 cause i think thats all that its worth.[/quote]

I was thinking of getting something that took pictures since my cell phone has some CRAPPy resolutions.

If it came out at a reasonable price..... and the pictures were nice....

Japanese import worth it?

[quote name='nefaquotek']I was thinking of getting something that took pictures since my cell phone has some CRAPPy resolutions.

If it came out at a reasonable price..... and the pictures were nice....

Japanese import worth it?[/quote]

yeah I have the PSP import camera.. got form Play asia.. I've had fun with it.
I jus thavent been able to fully translate the the editing software that comes on the UMD.

[quote name='Sinistar']yeah I have the PSP import camera.. got form Play asia.. I've had fun with it.
I jus thavent been able to fully translate the the editing software that comes on the UMD.[/quote]

OOO fun times.... ya I'll wait for them to release it here in the states.

[quote name='Sinistar']FYI the GPS is on sale with that 20% off sale at Play Asia.com this week. :)[/quote]

YA, but the stock dropped really fast. Oh well, I got my Loco Roco for 20$..... now all I need is a Winning Eleven PSP for less than 15 and I'll be happier.

Has anyone tried follwing this tutorial to get mapviewer running on this PSP?
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/pspnavi-how-to-turn-your-psp-into-a-gps-navigation-system-or-a-map-viewer-60230.html

I followed it to the letter and after loading my maps, it seems as the PSP freezes.. I posted on thier forums, got some half-responded answer that I need GPSFS but no one helped me with that.. so has anyone got this to work?

I want to get the map viewer working before I invest in the GPS accessory.. Thanks

Issues with PRX files? Not that I would know, since I can't even dump the stupid files.

I just got the GPS yesterday, it'll probably be awhile until I get mapthis up and running though.

bread's done
Back