PSP having USB issues

mariol90

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I bought one of the gran turismo PSP bundles from cowboom, pretty much everything seems to work fine except for connecting the PSP to anything through USB. Games play fine, i can connect to PSN, download stuff, pics and all that work too. When I connect it to my laptop through a USB cable (tried 2), this is what it does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3C8QyFaSQ
it works perfectly with my desktop, oddly enough. with my PS3, it'll rarely show up, and only under the music and video sections, plus it disappears after a minute or so. it'll connect to my 360 and i can see pictures off of it, but the PSP eventually switches from saying "USB mode" to "Please wait".
One of the USB cables i've had for a few years, and it's worked perfectly with every device i've used it with, including a PS3 controller.

I've seen other people with the same issue, but most haven't resolved it. Some tried different USB ports, but i've tried a bunch on each device and it didn't make a difference. Any ideas?

Check to make sure your laptop isn't turning off your USB ports to save battery. I'd also say switch out the cable, I've had usb cables go bad out of nowhere. Also see if you can wiggle the connector on the PSP side to get it to stay more solid. Check for foreign objects/debris/whathaveyou on the mini USB port and see if you need to push the little back thing up, sometimes things just get off kilter a tiny bit. Don't force anything and don't hesitate to use your warranty if the USB port is funky.

I changed the USB settings under power management for my laptop, didn't seem to do anything unfortunately. The PSP shows up under device manager as SONY "PSP" MS USB Device, but the screen on the PSP keeps flipping between "please wait" and "usb mode". It also will randomly tell me to format the disk, even though I know that's fine (nothing changes if i remove the memory stick, it still flips between please wait and usb mode).
Wiggled the connector on the PSP side, same thing, tried pushing the inside of the usb port up a tad, nothing still. guess they don't check the USB ports on refurbs? D:

I guess i'll email cowboom then, it seems like the PSP is the issue. My brother has an older PSP (1001), he doesn't know where it is though, otherwise I'd test it out with my PS3/cables.

Thanks!

edit: restored PSP, same issue. I submitted an RMA request, apparently that's all I have to do to get it replaced? I'd rather be sure they have more somewhere in their warehouse, since I want another.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you tried different USB cables, different USB ports and restoring the settings, it sounds like it's an issue with the mini-USB port on the PSP itself. I would've recommended to use a USB memory card reader with your Memory Stick to load media to/from the PSP and your PC, but I know it wouldn't let you do some things like set up Remote Play for the first time. GL with getting it fixed.

That's what I did to back up whatever was on the memory stick, used a USB card reader. and yeah, i'd like to try remote play and other PS3-PSP things, otherwise i wouldn't have minded. Thanks! It'll be sent out today (they give a prepaid label with tracking number as soon as an RMA request is submitted).

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I tried it both on and off, but that's a good thing to check next time. Cowboom got the PSP back and they said to wait 2-3 days so they can check if everything is there and that the serial number matches. Hopefully they send me another PSP instead of giving me a refund.

bread's done
Back