PSP: Life Without Wi FI

venturin

CAGiversary!
I am not an IT kind of guy and with DSL here I can't seem to get the NetGear router working properly.

I finally got a PSP (The $129 black friday special) yay!

(Damn, R Type Command is hard!)

I hear that I can buy a mini USB to Ethernet adaptor to have my PSP wired to the internet. Anyone know if this is so? Why can't I just hook the PSP to my PS3 somehow and get downloads and updates that way? Any advice on how to wire my PSP to the net would be appreciated.

-V-

if you have a router then you have wi fi..
you must set your router settings to somthing that the psp can read..
like wpk or something like that

[quote name='sir-fly']if you have a router then you have wi fi..[/QUOTE]

That's not necessarily true. There are still many routers out there that don't support wi-fi. However, yes, his is more than likely wi-fi capable.

The first thing to do would be to find out what router you have. Somewhere on the router should say its model number, which you can look up online to check whether it truly has wi-fi or not. Well regardless if you do that or not, you'll likely need to sign into the router by going to the following webpage:

http://192.168.1.1/

By default the username and password are admin/admin. Once signed in you need to find the Advanced header in the left side of the screen if I remember correctly. Under there should be wireless settings where you can get a WEP or WPA (WPA Recommended, but Nintendo can only use WEP) wireless encryption key to connect to your network via wi-fi.

Since I don't have your netgear router, I can't see what everything looks like inside the web browser interface.

EDIT: It might also be under Wireless Settings that's listed under Setup. But like I said, I don't know what your interface looks like because they change over time.

are you wanting to get online for Multiplayer, or so you can download stuff on the PSN? If its the latter, just get Media Go, install it on your PC, browse the store, BUY! and transfer to PSP via USB cable..

[quote name='venturin']Why can't I just hook the PSP to my PS3 somehow and get downloads and updates that way?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about updates (though the required firmware comes on the UMD of the game) but you can download stuff off the PSN and transfer it over to your PSP. I've done it before no problem.

Your ps3 can be used as your wireless source (unless its the 2ogb)turn it on and the have the psp look for wireless signal and your ps3 should pop up. also if you use media go on your pc it will get the latest firmware

I remember you used to be able to download the updates from Playstation.com and then drop them on the PSP via USB. Besides, any required updates you need should come on the UMD with whatever game you want to play anyway.

bread's done
Back