PSP Minis - Passed 1 Million Total Sales - 85 Total Minis

Seems basically the same game as Dracula Unleashed (which will hopefully be on sale soon like in the EU), except with cutesy graphics (and probably a cheaper price).

[quote name='8bitArtist']can i play this on my ps3 like a psn game even though i dont have a psp?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, its compatability is mentioned in the tweet:
It'll be $4.99 and playable on both the PS3 and PSP.
The PS Store on the PS3 only shows minis that are playable on the PS3, so that should be where you look for the compatible games.

That's unlikely. Minis are designed as PSP games, so the only local multiplayer that can be done in a mini is taking turns. (Since minis are not allowed to use wireless, I guess because then the PS3 emulator couldn't handle that)

Minis actually can have updates - Breakquest (which isn't out in NA yet) was updated once (saw this on the companies Twitter page).

But I don't ever see how local multiplayer could work both on the PSP and PS3, since they are so different. Online, probably. But for it support local multiplayer on the PSP, it would have to emulate two of them, not just one, since each PSP has its own screen.

I guess maybe if you both stayed on the same screen all the time, that might work. (Probably not a lot of fun for most games, though, but might work for shooters).

Or it could use adhoc party to do local multiplayer online. That's more likely, I think.

Spaceball: Revolution is this week's Minis release, which I believe is an Arkanoid-style game if I'm remembering correctly.

In other Minis news:

Just Add Water
(made Gravity Crash for PS3 and PSP) announced their first game, Vektor Beat, which is a rhythm puzzle game that may be $0.99 like the iPhone version they're also making.

Halfbrick Studios also announced that Rocket Racing will be out this month for $4.99. I wasn't much of a fan of this game compared to the others on the Xbox 360, so I'll probably stick with Age of Zombies instead. It sucks that they're pushing more $4.99 games out there after their first two were some of the first good, cheap Minis.

Rocket Racing trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvlusxXNQbk

It's nice to see a steady stream of game announcements for Minis even if the releases aren't as steady.

im a little underwhelmed at age of zombies. the button interface is a little weird. wish they could have added a dual stick option for the people who downloaded for the ps3.

That's really not possible, given they are just PSP games emulated on the PS3.

Sony could put it in the emulator though, have the stick emulate button presses. If they ever come out with a PSP2, I would hope it has two sticks and does that to PSP1 titles.

Just finished Age of Zombies and it was pretty good. Took me only an hour to beat the campaign, but that's about as long as their other games and I still have the survival mode that I can play through.

A bit of a recap on recent releases:

2/25
Age of Zombies - $4.99 - 21 MB
Retro Cave Flyer - $4.99 - 16 MB
The Terminator - $6.99 - 11 MB

3/4
Digi-Tiles - $2.99 - 4.88 MB
Earthshield - $2.99 - 6.01 MB
Legend of Kunoichi - $2.99 - 7.41 MB
Smashbreak - $2.99 - 5.06 MB
Vector TD - $3.99 - 13 MB

3/11
Rocket Racing - $4.99 - 26 MB

Also, coming on the 25th is Alien Zombie Death from PomPom Games:

Stinky alien death is nearly upon you American gamers! At last, a slice of originality hits the PSP minis channel like a slab of alien rump across the face. Alien Zombie Death stands proud… a beacon of PSP exclusivity and finger twisting death. It goes something like this:whistle2:

Somewhere far far away in a random solar system, a lone space man dies… horribly. Take control of said fateful space man as he battles to his end against the dreaded Alien Zombies! Using a standard laser gun and a few pickups along the way, make sure you take at as many of those Alien Zombie suckers before they take you down. It’s that simple. It’s Alien Zombie Death.

The game involves jumping around a bunch of platforms floating in space battling endless waves of Alien Zombie until you meet your demise. The platform layouts are very simple, with the focus on creating the space for the ensuing battle rather than complex level layouts.

It turned out rather fabulous and we can’t wait to introduce the world to Spaceman Death… via Alien… Alien Zombie. Oh my.

Alien Zombie Death will be hitting the PSP minis channel March 25th 2010. It’ll cost a decomposingly measly $3.99 USD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJziOHWLoc8

Alien Zombie Death is awesome, I like it a lot better than the other twin stick shooters. Because it's really not a twin stick shooter, I guess. But sort of the same.

But instead of being able to move around on a map, you're on a platform. So the lack of having only 1 stick (and 4 buttons) doesn't hurt as much (you don't need to shoot diagonally).

Definitely plan on buying it. (I can play it because I volunteered to a PSP site and they have an UK account with most the minis on it.)

Monsters Probably Stole My Princess should be pretty soon, there was a blog post from the developer, bugs cropped up in QA, so late March or early April. Hopefully all regions at once, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Frisky - Have you heard any rumblings on the Red Bull game ever being released stateside?

It is such a pain playing import PSN titles on the PSP. Id rather wait for it to be released over here.

I'm liking Breakquest, though it's hard as hell since it doesn't follow any of the basic physics rules that we've been groomed to expect from an Arkanoid clone. The ball can hit things and not bounce off the way you'd expect, which is compounded with each level working very different from those that precede it. It also seems like this game may be one that's better on the TV since it can be hard to tell what the power-ups are since everything is fairly small in this game.

An iPhone FMV horror game will be becoming out as a Mini soon:
Bulkypix and Sanuk Games are happy to announce that award-winning horror game HYSTERIA PROJECT will be released soon on Sony’s Minis platform for PSP and PS3.

In HYSTERIA PROJECT, YOU are the hero! Step into the shoes of the main character and take part in an unforgettable adventure! Will you make the right decisions and make it out in one piece?

HYSTERIA PROJECT is a groundbreaking gaming experience where you are the hero of an entirely filmed adventure. Keep a sharp eye on what’s going on around you and make the right choices at the right time. Have you got the guts to be next on the list?

Initially released by Bulkypix on iPhone, HYSTERIA PROJECT won the “Revelation 2009” Milthon award in Paris, and was praised in the AppStore by fans of new experiences and thrill-seekers. Levi Buchanan of ign.com wrote: “HYSTERIA PROJECT reminded me of those old FMV games I used to play on my SEGA CD as a guilty pleasure - but this one only cost me two bucks for the same level of enjoyment”.

The Minis version of HYSTERIA PROJECT will be released by Sanuk Games in Europe on April 8th at the price of 1.49 Euros. It will be released in America at a later date and at the price of $1.99.

To me, Alien Zombie Death is a lot better than the other undead killing shooters (Dracula/Age of Zombies). They are kind of awkward on the PSP (since they are twin stick shooters and it doesn't have twin sticks).

As the video shows, you only shoot two ways, so it's not a big deal that you don't have two sticks, much of the game is more about jumping around the platform dodging stuff. Difficult but not frustrating.

Freekscape just got a release date and price:
Creat Studios (Canton, MA) today announced the release of Freekscape: Escape From Hell for the PlayStation® Mini platform to play on the PlayStation 3® computer entertainment system, PlayStation® Portable (PSP) and PSP®go. The game will be available via Sony’s PlayStation® Network on April 8th in Europe and North America for $4.99 / €4.99.
Developed by Kidguru Studios in Brazil, Freekscape: Escape From Hell is a side-scrolling platformer game set in a 3D world. Players control a little demon named Freek, who finds a holy trident which infuses him with ideas of ascending to Heaven.

“Creat Studios is proud to bring Freekscape: Escape From Hell to the PlayStation® Mini platform,” said Vladimir Starzhevsky, CEO and co-founder of Creat Studios. “We’re confident that players will fall in love with its charming characters and addictive gameplay.”

Freek encounters a variety of unusual creatures in his fire-laden underground world while running and jumping along his journey. His new-found trident allows him to the capture crazy crawlers and turns them into different tools, depending on their abilities.

“Kidguru Studios is excited to work with Creat Studios to bring another innovative PlayStation® Mini title to gamers on the PlayStation® 3, PSP and PSPgo,” said Daniel Garcia, Director of Kidguru Studios. “Freekscape: Escape From Hell provides a thrilling and delightful new action platform experience for all ages.”

Freekscape: Escape From Hell has been rated “E” for Everyone by the Entertainment Software Rating Board for this platform.
Trailer here: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/04/05/coming-to-psn-this-week-freekscape-escape-from-hell/

Telegraph Soduko and Kakuro is due out April 15th (Telegraph crosswords is going through ESRB rating); Hysteria Project is due out the 22nd, and Agetec's Mahjong Solitaire, which was originally due out the 22nd, is now back to May 11th.

Sneezies, which came out this week, is really fun. I don't know why it's fun. You really don't do much. You release a bunch of sneezing powder and watch a chain reaction of little furry creatures sneezing. But it is fun.

I picked up Car Jack Streets as I was a big fan of the original GTAs, but as this is more GTA 1 and less GTA 2 it just feels really dated. If they come out with a sequel that incorporates more of the improvements from GTA 2 I think Id be psyched but I cant really recommend this to anyone, particularly as it is $6.

Today we’re pleased to announce that our smallest downloadable games have passed a very big milestone: over 1 million minis have been downloaded worldwide.

The minis line launched 9 months ago as a quick-to-download, bite-sized experience perfect for on-the-go PlayStation Portable gaming. There are now over 85 titles available on the PlayStation Store, and most are now playable on the PlayStation 3 as well as PSP.

So which minis have been downloaded the most? Here are your top 10 most popular titles:

1. Age of Zombies
  2. Monopoly
  3. Fieldrunners
  4. Zombie Tycoon
  5. Bloons
  6. Spot The Differences!
  7. Pinball Fantasies
  8. Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2
  9. Yetisports Pengu Throw
  10. Breakquest
Many more minis are on the way, including Pacman CE from Namco Bandai Networks, so keep your eye on the PlayStation Store. Congratulations to all of our minis developers (over 50 in all), here’s to another million downloads!
I'm surprised that Tetris didn't make the list.

I think Tetris was probably either disqualified because it doesn't run on the PS3, or PS3 owners must buy a lot of Minis.

On the face of it, it sounds impressive. But when you think about it more. 9 months, 85 titles, that's like an average of 12,000 sales each world wide.

And when you factor in there are 60 million PSPs and what, 30 million PS3s...

They mention the fact that not everything is PS3 compatible, so I don't know why that would disqualify it.

Minis still don't get a great amount of advertisement and attention, so hitting a million total sales at least says that there's a fairly large segment that is enjoying them.

There's a sale on PSN right now for five Minis:

Tetris - PSP - $4.99 - Expires 8/10
Dracula: Undead Awakening - PSP/PS3 - $2.49 - Expires 8/10
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess! - PSP/PS3 - $2.49 - Expires 8/10
Zombie Tycoon - PSP/PS3 - $2.49 - Expires 8/10
Bloons - PSP/PS3 - $1.99 - Expires 8/10

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/04/coming-soon-to-psn-whos-that-flying-for-psp-and-ps3/

Mediatonic announced their new Mini: Who's That Flying?! (WTF?!). It's a side-scrolling shooter with a bit of a tower defense mechanic in that you can only let a certain amount of enemies get past you before you die.

Today, I’m super excited to reveal the first details of our brand new PlayStation minis title — Who’s That Flying!? This summary from the games writer and producer Jim is a great overview on what you can expect:
You are the mysterious and powerful creature known only as the “Guardian of Earth.” Your steely eye and HYPER-POWERED LASER ARM have kept the citizens of Earth safe for generations (as well as proving a hit with the ladies).

With all your awesome TALENT and FLAIR, surely it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a sudden and devastating invasion of colossal Doom Beasts to descend on your cities and cause havoc without your knowledge? (Even if you were MAYBE showboating for a magazine photo shoot at the time…)

Now, you must not only defend your cities from the ravenous hordes of Doom Beasts, you must defend yourself against accusations of gross incompetence from the Galactic Council of Justice! And this is all BEFORE you can even start to get to the bottom of just who OR what is really behind the attacks…

It’s a side-scrolling shooter meets tower defense (with courtroom drama and intrigue!) doused in sheer awesomeness… AND THEN SET ON FIRE.

At the centre of the game is the Story mode, which follows the hero through 15 levels across six worlds protecting the Earth from the invasion of the Doom Beasts. Like our previous game Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess, the story mode in WTF?! features beautiful animated cut-scenes as you unravel the mysteries of the invasion. In WTF?! these scenes are set in the chambers of the Galactic council with the Guardian of Earth being interviewed on his actions.

The game’s core mechanic is a mixture of side-scrolling shooting and tower defense. As the hero you must prevent a certain number of enemies from escaping into the city in each level in order to save the city from the invasion.

As the ultra-powerful hero you’re both awesome and indestructible, but getting hit will put you out of action for a while — giving your enemies a chance to escape. If you let too many enemies past you, the city will be destroyed and you’ll lose the level.

In addition to the Story mode, the game has four different “infinite” mode levels and a special challenge mode with 25 unique challenges to tackle. We’ve managed to squeeze in a lot of great content.

We’ve finished the game and are currently going through the age-rating process, so at present we’re anticipating a launch in early September. For breaking news on the game as it happens you can follow us on Twitter.

i grabbed monsters probably....today, its worth the $2.50 for the ending in my opinion, very short though. right now im playing through young thor.

How good/bad is Hero Of Sparta? I'm looking to download it for play on my PS3. I searched and I didn't find a PS3 Mini thread, so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm also interested in at least 1-2 other titles(Bloons, for one), but I don't want to go over the $9 and change my PSN account currently has.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How good/bad is Hero Of Sparta? I'm looking to download it for play on my PS3. I searched and I didn't find a PS3 Mini thread, so I figured I'd ask here.[/QUOTE]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Sparta
It sounds like a God Of War ripoff from whats stated in the wiki, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in terms of whatever. It does look like it's more for PSP than for a PS3 though, granted with your monitor being small(21" IIRC), you probably won't notice as huge of a difference as those with bigger tv sets.

[quote name='Count']I'd like to know that too.. But I'm pretty sure you can.. I think..[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mad39er']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Sparta
It sounds like a God Of War ripoff from whats stated in the wiki, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in terms of whatever. It does look like it's more for PSP than for a PS3 though, granted with your monitor being small(21" IIRC), you probably won't notice as huge of a difference as those with bigger tv sets.[/QUOTE]
I definitely enjoy the GOW clones, sometimes moreso than the game they're ripoffs of.:cry: So this should be right up my alley then.

I was wondering if there was a page for the game on Wikipedia. I'll have to check that out and see if there's any further info other than what I've already seen on YouTube and elsewhere.

Just review the news again : D Amazing!

Sony recently announced that they have now passed the 1 million downloaded PSP Minis mark worldwide, with this occurring just over 9 months since the service launched. The store now boasts more than 85 Minis titles, with most playable on both the PSP and PS3.

The post notes the top 10 ‘most popular titles’:

1. Age of Zombies
2. Monopoly
3. Fieldrunners
4. Zombie Tycoon
5. Bloons
6. Spot The Differences!
7. Pinball Fantasies
8. Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2
9. Yetisports Pengu Throw
10. Breakquest

This is a pretty big milestone for the PSP and Sony, whose launch of the PSP Go at the same time cannot be characterized as anything but a dismal failure, regardless of their attempts to recast it as an experiment.

I have several PSP Minis myself, including several from the Top 10 as well as crazy stuff like Monsters (probably) Stole My Princess and so on. In general I have been pleased – the games are typically under 100MB and offer a reasonable amount of gaming for ~$5 each.

Of course, I have mentioned several times the difficulty Sony has because games like Fieldrunners cost twice as much as a PSP Mini as they do for the iPhone! I differentiate ‘downloads’ and ’sales’ in the title because Sony has been notorious in recent years at putting out the numbers of PSP and PS3 units they ’shipped’ as being their sales numbers – to the point where one quarter back a few years they ended up with negative overall sales!

However, to put the ‘million downloads’ milestone in perspective, the iPhone game Doodle Jump recently passed the 5 million PAID download mark. Here is what the article says:

iPhone games developer Lima Sky says that its Doodle Jump game has now sold more than five million downloads on the App Store.

It’s the first paid game to reach that milestone, although free titles like Tap Tap Revenge and Paper Toss have gone way beyond it.

“We are thrilled to see how much Doodle Jump means to millions of Doodle Jumpers around the globe,” says president and co-founder Igor Pusenjak.

Lima Sky started as a two-man operation, making the game one of the standout independent success stories of the App Store.

The game has maintained a $0.99 price point ever since it launched, meaning that it’s generated $4.95 million in sales – $3.46 million for Lima Sky after Apple’s cut.

The reason I mention this? Because assuming a $4.99 average price for PSP Minis, the entire system has earned about $5 million in sales – or roughly the same as a single very popular game on the iTunes App Store in roughly the same time period.

The other slightly disheartening fact is that many folks I know have no PSP and are playing them on the PS3, and several newer and recently announced Minis seem to be noticing the trend and look to be a better experience on the console. While I hope this works well for the small developers doing the work, as a PSP enthusiast it is yet another kick in the gut, as it feels like the ‘made for portable, bite-sized gaming’ mantra that launched the Minis line could easily be lost. Let’s hope not!

So to Sony I say congratulations on the milestone and hope that you will take this moment to refocus your efforts on delivering on the promise of the great handheld gaming system you launched back more than 5 years ago.

Go Ahead!

bread's done
Back