.:[PSP Multiplayer]:. Tutorial -//- How to play your PSP games over the internet

modcase

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Basically, my first idea when I got my japanese psp was to work on learning how to program a psp game. Sadly I got a newer version and it will not run homebrew code, so for the moment I am on hold. BUT...

My next idea was to figure out online gaming. Since I don't know people locally that have psps yet This brought me to learn how to setup the PSP for online gaming. Heres a easy how-to, getting you setup for playing online games with your PSP in 5 easy steps.

-----------------------------
Requirements (assuming you own a psp & games):
Kai - here
A Linksys WRT54G, WRT546S, or Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless router
Updated Firmware - here

My Personal Setup
--/System
Japanese PSP ver 1.5 (country/version shouldn't matter)
WRT54G v.2 Wireless Router
--/Games: (Tested/Untested with online gameplay)
Wipeout Pure (compatable)
THUG2 remix (compatable)
Metal Gear Acid (n/a)

Step #1
  • Download and install Kai
  • Create a XTag
  • Run the newly installed Start Kai Config Tool from the Start Menu (in Xlink KAI Evolution 7)
  • Under UI select Java (optional)
  • Check "Enable PAT" and "Lauch UI" and enter your XTag info
  • Uncheck "Lauch Engine"
Step #2
  • Open your router configuration and login (http://192.168.1.1 - standard linksys default router ip)
  • Goto --> Administration --> Firmware Upgrade
  • Select the firmware you downloaded previously
  • Press Update
Step #3
  • Log back into your router configuration
  • Disable Wireless --> MAC Filter
  • Goto --> Administration --> Management, make sure autologin is enabled and enter your XTag
  • For your Interface (same menu) enter.......
  • br0 - allows xbox and psp to function
  • eth2 - PSP only on Linksys WRT54G 1.0 and 1.1, and Buffalo WBR-G54 wifi routers
  • eth1 - PSP only on Linksys WRT56G 2.0 and 2.2 routers
  • Goto Administration --> Kaid
  • Click Start Kaid
Step #4
  • Start XLink KAI
  • Goto --> Menu --> Settings
  • In GUI settings : Specify the IP address of your router
  • Enter your XTag information
  • Connect and join the PSP arena and select your game
  • On your PSP : Goto Multiplayer mode and join or host a game
  • In your router config window - GoTo --> Administrator --> Kaid and press "Scan PSP"
Step #5
Enjoy!

If you have any problems setting this up please report them in this thread and Ill try and give you any assistance. Remember to always double check your setup! You are responcible if you mess up your psp/computer/router/dog/cat etc. while using this method. This method was composed from my personal experience and the experience of others and has worked for everyone I have shown this method to.

Link to the tutorial

wponline.JPG

(here is a picture of me connecting to a online game wirelessly over the internet)

Ill help anyone set this up if they are interested - lets get some online psp gaming going!

Heres a list of the games I have to play online at the moment:
THUG2 Remix
Wipeout Pure

the setup is so easy - try it out, if you run into snags let me know :)
love to play more people online - the most we have had so far @ 1 time is 6 but we have spots for 2 more :)

Anyone know if this will work with D-Link routers? I can't test this since I don't own a PSP (yet) but I would certainly try this out!

[quote name='postaboy']I got everything except the game you listed so I can't test them out.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='javeryh']Will this work for Hot Shots Golf?[/QUOTE]

any ad hoc compatable game will work

[quote name='phatbunbao']is this for standalone routers or do you need a card in the pc?[/QUOTE]

the tutorial above works for stand alone routers . Certain wifi cards do work similarly

[quote name='daphatty']Anyone know if this will work with D-Link routers? I can't test this since I don't own a PSP (yet) but I would certainly try this out![/QUOTE]

I have read information about people using dlink routers - ill try and find more info as to the model numbers that were tested

EDIT : i bought a 1.0 psp on ebay for a unbelieveable price - I will be using this for my programming - finally back in the game

I just bought a PSP off of ebay as well. Not as great of a price as I would have liked but I got a couple of games along with it. I will be trying this out as soon as I get it. :)

This sounds very, very cool. I've been wanting to plat Hot Shots online for a while now. I'll get one of those routers soon. Would Lumines work also?

[quote name='cronnos']This sounds very, very cool. I've been wanting to plat Hot Shots online for a while now. I'll get one of those routers soon. Would Lumines work also?[/QUOTE]

any ad hoc game "a.k.a. supporting local area play" will work

[quote name='night owl']what does "Kai" do and why do you need the latest firmware, whats the difference?[/QUOTE]

Kai is a way for people to play xbox or psp games online that are meant for systemlink/local gameplay only and not the internet
firmware is basically a bios that tells the system what to do
in reference to KAI and firmware I would be speaking about your routers firmware (update it with the latest kai enabled firmware)

Cant say im impressed. Doesn't work with D-Link routers (and never will according to the rude and elitist post by the Kai forum mods) and I can't even find the menu you refer to in bullet number 4 in step one. NONE of the Kai FAQs were even helpful in this. I hate it when I RTFM just to find out that I have learned nothing more than I knew before I started... *sigh*

/slap rude-non helpful people

dlink has been proven working. I have a dlink router as well, alas it is a non-wifi one so i can't help you out with settings there. What I can do however is find the posts that were accurate on fixing your problem and update this thread when I can find them

/slap corrected

bread's done
Back