PSP: Must-have games

polly

CAGiversary!
So I just picked up the new slim PSP Daxter bundle. Wondering what the must-have titles are.

I figure LocoRoco, Lumines, MGS: Portable Ops & the GTA stories games are on the list. A lot of top 10 lists I googled have lots of racing games on there, but I'm not really a big fan of racing games. What else is out there worth picking up?

burnout and daxter were the best in my opinion...highly recomend getting legends as you've already got daxter

oh and i hear ratchet is kickass as well

edit: add lumines as well, this game has got me hooked

forget loco roco, it gets pretty boring.
you should check out jeanne d'arc, crush, mega man powered up and... i can't think of anything else

I haven't picked up MGS: Portable Ops yet because I can't find it anywhere. :bomb: I did get Loco Roco, LEGO Star Wars II, SOCOM 2, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Lumines II, Wipeout Pure, and Untold Legends all pretty cheap from the TRU, CC, and BB sales. Still planning to get GTA:LCS and Jeanne D'Arc for sure.

brave story is a good rpg game. very short though.

the new bowling game is a time killer . very simple to win once you find the spot.

Go to CC tomorrow and look around. Tomorrow starts the buy 1 get 1 50% off.

can grab brave story and bowling for 50

PRobally the Final fantasys if you dont have a SP or Ds

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology

7 Wonders of the Ancient World

Legend of Heroes any of the 3 since they are all the same

If you have patience and are willing to deal with the somewhat steep learning curve, then Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

It's pretty freakin' awesome.

Tekken: Dark Resurrection, Gitaroo Man Lives, Tales of the World, and either Burnout game. I wasn't a fan of the psp GTAs though. Also, I havet played Ratchet and Clank yet for the PSP, but I'm guessing that is great too. I've also heard that Syphon Filter Dark Mirror is good too. (I have it pending to me from goozex right now)

Edit: Oh yeah, Field Commander. That was probably my favorite psp game so far. It was basically Advance Wars for the PSP.

Out of my collection, I'd recommend:

Bomberman
Burnout Legends
Crush
Daxter
Dragonball Z Shin Budokai (both are GREAT fighting games)
Every Extend Extra
Field Commander
Gripshift
GTA: Liberty City Stories (I've heard Vice sucked)
Gurumin
Hot Shots Golf
Me and My Katamari
Megaman Maverick Hunter X
Megaman Powered Up
Mercury
Powerstone Collection
Socom
Sonic Rivals
Tokobot
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
Twisted Metal Head On
Ultimate Block Party
Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins
Virtua Tennis
Wipeout Pure
WTF: Work Time Fun

Other games that I've played and loved:
Pursuit Force
Ratchet and Clank
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Tekken

If I think of any others I'll post.

This is the list I made for SL4IN once. I made a few recent revisions to it (by adding a few new games):

RPGs
Brave Story: New Traveler
Breath of Fire III (Euro Import)
Final Fantasy (If you like the original one and don't already own it, best version)
Final Fantasy II (If you liked II before and don't already own it, best version)
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Jeanne D’ Arc
Monster Hunter Freedom
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (I personally love it, but not for everyone)
PoPoLoCrois (I personally love it, but not for everyone)
Princess Crown (Asia Import)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Tales of Eternia (Euro Import)
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (The dungeon exploring may turn some off, but combat is fun)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Fighters
Darkstalkers Chronicle
Guilty Gear Judgement
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes (If you are into Naruto)
Powerstone Collection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Puzzle
Bomberman
Crush
Every Extend Extra (short, but fun)
Exit
Gunpey (This game is tough, but interesting concept IMO)
Lumines
Lumines II
Me and My Katamari (controls are weird at first, but still good IMO)
Mercury Meltdown
PQ Practical Intelligence Quotient (It can be tough, but cool concept)
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient 2
Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords

Racers
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Burnout Dominator
Burnout: Legends
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (Those who like the first Crazy Taxi may love this, but worth $20 or less)
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Pursuit Force
Race Driver 2006
Ridge Racer (or import 2)
Wipeout Pure

Action
Dead Head Fred
GTA: Liberty Stories
GTA: Vice City Stories
Killzone: Liberation
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man Powered Up
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Medal of Honor Heroes (some like it)
Prince of Persia Rival Swords
Socom: Fire Team Bravo
Socom: Fire Team Bravo 2
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (Not out yet, but I have a preview copy and it owns)
The Warriors
Twisted Metal Head On
Ultimate Ghosts ‘n Goblins

Flight Shooter
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
After Burner: Black Falcon

Platformer
Daxter
Death Jr 2: Root of Evil (not for everyone, but definitely better than the previous one)
LocoRoco
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Tokobot (not for everyone, but fun IMO)

Sports
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
MLB 07: The Show
Virtua Tennis World Tour
Virtua Tennis 3
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

Music
DJ Max Portable (import)
DJ Max Portable 2
Gitaroo Man Lives!
PaRappa The Rapper (The game may be too old school for some, but if you liked the series in the past, you may like this)

Strategy
Field Commander
Lemmings
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Classical Compilation
Activision Hits Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Capcom Puzzle World (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo makes it worth it)
Gradius Collection
Metal Slug Anthology (load times are terrible, and some slowdown, but the collection is excellent)
Namco Museum Battle Collection (IMO, best Namco collection)
Parodius Portable (import)
Salamander Portable (import)
Sega Genesis Collection
Taito Legends Power UP
Twinbee Collection (import)

Thanks for the list, Mana Knight. I'm gonna save that to a word doc and sift through it later to compile a list of PSP games that I need to buy.

I would like to add Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1 and 2 to the music section of that list. They're imports, and I've never played them, but I have the DS one (Taiko no Tatsujin DS), and I'm sure there's no difference. Great game.

[quote name='Rocko']Thanks for the list, Mana Knight. I'm gonna save that to a word doc and sift through it later to compile a list of PSP games that I need to buy.

I would like to add Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 1 and 2 to the music section of that list. They're imports, and I've never played them, but I have the DS one (Taiko no Tatsujin DS), and I'm sure there's no difference. Great game.[/QUOTE]If I had the chance to play those two games, I'd definitely add them. I'm a big Taiko Drum fan myself, but never got around to importing.

This is what I bought so far... I've only played Golf, Daxter and Burnout though... Burnout is awesome.

Wipeout Pure
Burnout Legends
Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play
Crush
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Jeanne D'Arc
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Killzone: Liberation
MLB '07 The Show
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

And now I have to get
Dracula X Chronicles (Pre)
FFT: War of the Lions (Pre)
Powerstone Collection
Maybe Mega Man too....

- Brave Story: New Traveler
- Crush
- DJ Max Portable I and II
- Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
- Hot Shot Golf: Open Tee
- Jeanne D' Arc
- Lumines II
- Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
- Mega Man Powered Up
- Metal Gear Acid 2
- Tales of Eternia
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection
- Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins

Not sure if they're must have but here have been my personal favorites

Me and My Katamari
Megaman Powered Up
Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins

And the best part is all three can be picked up from Toys R Us for under $10 a piece.

I would say my 2 favorite games right now are:
Hot shots golf! I always come back to that one. I never get tired of it.
Tony Hawk Underground - lots of unlockables and stuff to do and it's the best portable skate game out imo.

Tekken Dark Ressurection - Best Game ever. It never gets old, Its quick to load, fast Gameplay, Beautiful graphics, Nice character customization, and offers a good challenge. I bought the game when it first came out and I still cant beat the last dojo maybe I shouldnt have set it to Extreme Dificulty. I dont know about the ghost download things, i never understood it and how to make it work though.

The Warriors - For the price its a kick ass game, 19.99 New, Its basically a port of the PS2 version but it plays well and feels good, no loss from the original even has some extra perks as well. The Warriors of the Night Minigame is cool to play on the fly as well.

Socom Fireteam Bravo - I got it used a while back and its really good, if you got your own Wi-fi network at home or play at a hotspot youll find alot of people still play this, its got fun solid online play and nice weapons.
(I picked up Fireteam Bravo 2, only played one mission and online for a bit, lil bit to get used to)

Metal Gear Solid P.O. - Awesome Awesome game, although a lil tip remember to save before fininshing the main game i lost all my Multiplayer Characters and info. maybe its just me.

Metal Gear Acid - A Card game?...Yeah i know weird, but after a while you get used to it and it gets fun and presents a nice challenge.

Ridge Racer - Beautiful graphics, easy gameplay, quick races, nice addition to your library

Lumines - Nice, but gets repetative, dont know about the sequal havent played it.

I wouldnt Really reccomend the GTA Games, theyre great for playing at home but dont really work to well on the go or outside.

bread's done
Back