PSP network questions

torifile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Apparently the PSP doesn't support WPA2. That sucks. But I've got an old wireless router I can leave with a weak security option and restrict it to the PSP's MAC address so that's an easy problem to solve. I've got my PS3 connected to my "good" wireless router.

My question comes in with the PSP and the PS3's connectivity. Do they need to be on the same network?

If I connect he PSP to a different router, they won't be on the same network. Any ideas?

[quote name='torifile']Apparently the PSP doesn't support WPA2. That sucks. But I've got an old wireless router I can leave with a weak security option and restrict it to the PSP's MAC address so that's an easy problem to solve. I've got my PS3 connected to my "good" wireless router.

My question comes in with the PSP and the PS3's connectivity. Do they need to be on the same network?

If I connect he PSP to a different router, they won't be on the same network. Any ideas?[/quote]

You could hook that old wireless router to the same network with the good one, making it a wireless access point. Just turn the DHCP off of the old one, hook up the network port to one of the other router's ports and voila, they're both on the same network. You could even put that second router somewhere else in the house to give you better access to your network (as long as you have a wired connection somewhere else in the house).
I'm sort of doing the same thing with my newer wireless router hooked up to the old wired one. It gives my more wired ports and wireless capability on the same network.

I used these instructions, they should work for you too:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']You could hook that old wireless router to the same network with the good one, making it a wireless access point. Just turn the DHCP off of the old one, hook up the network port to one of the other router's ports and voila, they're both on the same network. You could even put that second router somewhere else in the house to give you better access to your network (as long as you have a wired connection somewhere else in the house).
I'm sort of doing the same thing with my newer wireless router hooked up to the old wired one. It gives my more wired ports and wireless capability on the same network.

I used these instructions, they should work for you too:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp[/QUOTE]
That's brilliant!

I don't need it, but it's a great idea. I just poked around in my current router's settings and it looks like it does automatic WPA or WPA2 depending the device so I don't need to change a thing to get it working. Too bad the PSP doesn't do WPA2 but I'm glad I spent a little more on my router. It was $120 but it's been worth it in all sorts of ways.

bread's done
Back