PSP or DS? I need to make a choice soon.

suffah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Half a year ago I woulda gotten a PSP but now the DS is starting to come around finally. I am going to get one or the other within the next couple of weeks and I can't decide....here are the pro's that are influencing my personal decision. Anyone that owns both that wants to chime in?

Nintendo DS
-Cheaper
-Mario Kart and Animal Crossing
-Girlfriend would probably actually play it

PSP
-MOVIES (love the screen)
-Homebrew stuff

I am leaning towards the PSP...but it doesn't seem to have any games that interest me. I used to own a portable media player so I know I'll take advantage of the video on the PSP (catching up on tv shows and whatnot at work).

i dont own both but did decide against the PSP for the time being since the games were lacking...maybe in the future i will get one after the price drops a little

the question seems to be do you wanna play games or do you wanna watch movies and play the older stuff;) ....just fyi i ended up buying 2 systems since my wife wanted her own and she is absolutly hooked on animal crossing and got me involved to the point where i brought my own copy of AC

You realize that you list says gamecube not DS. Get a DS their is far better games out and more and more games coming out for it.

PsP lots of movies, mp3 player photo web browsing. Sounds nice but what matters most about a gaming system is games. You even said yourself no games that interest you. That IMO should steer you away from a system. The homebrew only works on the old firmware 1.5 I think it's downloadable from some sites (don't know for sure)

However you are saying no games for it interest you. Why buy it then, movies oh okay don't you have a dvd player all ready? Homebrew thats cool I will admit, but with no games that are interesting to you. So your going to buy a $250 homebrew movie machine? Do yourself a favor buy a DS. Lots and lots of games. Plus the GBA backlog.

If really really necessary buy a old media player off of ebay to keep up with something like tv shows.

Why spend $250 on half-assed homebrew applications? Get the DS to PLAY new games. When I say new games, I mean games that are innovative and revolutionary. The PSP will offer you a Playstation 2 experience with lesser graphics and power but with a higher price tag. Buy A DS with Mario Kart and buy another six DS games for the price of one PSP, game, and movie. Want a DVD player? Spend $60-70 and get one instead of 2-3 DS games (at this point you'll still have enough money for 4-5 DS games) and pick up the DVD's you already own and watch those on an even bigger screen! At the price point now and with how things have been shaping up, the DS offers you a much better experience for the money you're spending (or saving with the DS). It's no shock I say buy the DS...but only with the reasons I've listed do I suggest so.

Nintendo DS
Pros:
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario Kart DS
Meteos
Metroid Prime Pinball
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Sonic Rush
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble
WarioWare: Touched!

I don't think I really need to say anything else.

If you are going to use PSP to watch movies and emulator, just get a GP2X. It is only $180, plus it is a better homebrew machine with a working PSX emulator.

Graystone pretty much summed it all up. I'd just get a portable DVD player if all you're going to do is watch portable movies. You could get one for less then $250 too I bet.

Right now I would suggest the DS, unless you really want to have a portable DVD player.
The DS has a ton of good games and a lot more coming out soon.
However, if you really must have a multimedia device that can play games go with the PSP.

DS it just more bang for your buck. Its cheaper and has a 10x better library of games.

I would hold off on the PSP untill a big price drop happens and more good orignal games come out.

All right you bastards have convinced me to go with the DS. I think the mario kart bundle is only $140 at walmart right now, I will probably jump on that. Thanks for the advice guys.

[quote name='suffah']62t the GPX2 is sweet but I really wish it was Hard drive based.[/QUOTE]
true, but it uses SD card, which is already a lot cheaper then Memory stick.

[quote name='62t']If you are going to use PSP to watch movies and emulator, just get a GP2X. It is only $180, plus it is a better homebrew machine with a working PSX emulator.[/QUOTE]

Are there actually Legit games for it, or is it just a homebrew device?

DS.

You have a PC to play ROMs, a PS2 to play twenty-dollar bargain bin titles and a DVD player to play movies. You'll only look like an asshole who doesn't know how to manage money if you're caught playing a PSP at the bus stop.

I have (and love) both. But I wouldn't have bought the PSP, except that it only cost me a 100 bones at a pawnshop. It's fucking expensive and you have to have a gig stick or else you won't get the most out of it. the PSP is a portable PS2 with emulation and media possibilities. it's beautiful, sleek, fragile and only takes expensive proprietary media. It's nice if you can drop the cash and in the end, it'll keep you more entertained at work if you enjoy catching up on shows and watching movies.

but the emphasis is on spending a lot of money-- unless you work somewhere quiet, you'll need to get some speakers for it. to keep it safe, you'll need a case, since it doesn't fold up and scratches and smudges easily. you'll feel like a freak because you have to keep whipping out a cloth to rub off the smudges. you'll cringe when other people touch it. you'll need cases for your UMDs and games. the UMDs cost more than a DVD and the games go up to $50. and don't forget that extra battery since the thing lasts about 4 hours (or less) on a charge. the costs keep adding up...but in exchange, you get to watch shows, listen to music, play emulators, almost ps2 quality games, watch dvd-quality movies and all on that super high resolution screen.

The DS is great if all you want is the true gaming experience and without all the fussiness and expenses. there's no shortage of awesome games, the thing is durable and games aren't that expensive. you won't have to keep buying memory sticks and cases or anything like that and the battery lasts a long time.

they are both equally awesome, imo. psp wins in sleekness and versatility. DS wins in games.

hope that helps...

DS, its all about the games. if u want multimedia player, get something else besides PSP. These are game systems. They are used to play games. im currently playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. its hilarious

I bought a PSP when it first came out and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then after about a month or so it got really boring. Now I can't stop playing my DS. I love castlevania, mario kart, DBZ SSW 2, animal crossing,etc. Meanwhile all the PSP has is crappy port's that are twice the price of the real game. Go DS all the way.

I have both and enjoy them both, but for different reasons at the moment.

I'd say if you're more interested in a gaming system, the DS has a much larger, and overall better software lineup at the moment, IMHO. On the minus side, the system is a bit too heavy and not quite ergonomic enough for long play sessions (though it has reasonable battery life to do so). The touch control is a great feature, but many games honestly don't need it, and developers are still refining the best ways to include it in their game designs.

On the other hand, the PSP feels much lighter and is less fatiguing. Of course, the screen kicks ass. GTA: LCS, Burnout Legends, and Hot Shots are my favorite games on the system, but there's nothing else available now, save maybe SD Vs RAW '06, that I have any interest in purchasing. Then again, there's a truckload of UMD video to choose from, and if you don't upgrade you can run emulators to play MAME or pretty much anything else. PSP is a pretty phenomenal platform that needs more time for developers to create good titles for (and to figure out ways around the horrible load times that are plaguing the current/first gen games).

DS because it has better games.

Why pay $40-50 for some average games (many of which are just ports/rehashes) when you could be playing some great games for $30-35?

I'll admit, the PSP is fun for about a week or two... but after that, it's not that great. I think my brother's PSP has just as much dust on it as my GC does.:lol:

I'll join the choir in saying DS. Make your decision about the games, because the media capabilites just aren't worth spending the extra $120 buck IMO. UMD's aren't cheap, might as well just go with a portable dvd player that you can play existing movies on, or an IPOD video (or equiv). You can put the $120 you save toward either of these. Rebuying movies on UMD or using a 1gb memory stick just isn't practical.

I have both and while I really like the DS I love my PSP. I think they complement each other extremely well. If I had to pick just one I'd go with the PSP, but I will definately be in the minority. I actually love the fact that the PSP can play games and movies, either via mp4 or UMD.

Again, thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to buy a DS today.

Also a big thanks for the heads up on the GP2X. I will be getting one of those in the future once more homebrew stuff is ported over from the GP32. I am REALLY anxious to see how the GP2X scene develops, I can't wait.

i was leaning towards getting a PSP this xmas till i went and seen there is still none to few RPG games still out on the PSP that is MUST OWN...

maybe at E3 there will be a price drop and i buy it then..... that GIGAPACK is still tempting since 1 GB stick runs around 70? so that is like getting the system for 230

You realize your "pros" list about the PSP doesn't include a single game, you go on to say no PSP games interest you, but you're leaning towards it anyway? ;_;

I ended up going with the DS. Frankly, I could not find a single PSP game I was interested in playing. The current PSP software library seems geared towards action and sports games...which I'm not interested in. However, I'd have to say that it IS a technical marvel if you want it for movies and such. The PSP screen is fantastic.

Plus, you CAN play 'homebrew' on the DS if you want. Of course, you need to invest in the proper hardware to do it.

Actually, I ended up getting TWO DS's because my wife/kids kept hogging the first one!

I recently picked up a PSP, and this thing is awesome. I haven't been playing any PS2 games for quite a while, so most of these "ports" aren't ports to me. I've been having a blast with Fifa 06, Burnout, Socom, NBA Live, and Madden. Even Frogger has been getting a lot of play time, even though I never thought I would like such a title.

If you don't own a PS2 or haven't been playing PS2 games as of late, and you like sports or racing games, the PSP is definately the way to go. You can't go wrong with the beautiful screen and gorgeous graphics.

I have no intereste in the DS since none of the games appeal to me, I think I've had enough of Mario and Animal Crossing. Needless to say they must be great games if that' what you're looking for.

I don't really understand why I read about how the PSP is all about ports when the DS's top two games is Animal Crossing and Mario Cart. Go figure.

In the end, it comes down to what type of games you prefer.

I'd definitely get DS now, since it is far cheaper with a number of good to great games, plus it can play GBA games, of which there are many amazing games out there. I have one and love it.

I'd wait on the PSP. A friend of mine has it, and only ever plays Lumines and Virtua Tennis, His is set up to play DL'd games, but even he admits that there really aren't any worth it. He is gonna get GTA, and that's pretty much it for a while.

Recap:
Buy DS now, wait a year, buy a PSP then.

yeah.. i was in the same predicament a few months ago. i'm still a little torn though, so i'll probably get both eventually, but i'm definately going with the DS first.. it true, you really can't compare the two when it comes to games..

Nintendo DS
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Sonic Rush
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart DS
Trauma Center
Meteos
Children of Mana

versus

PSP
Lumines
I My Me! Katamari
Every Extend Extra
Intelligence License
Harvest Moon
shooters
-mp3s
-homebrew

mostly simple puzzle or arcade games that i would love to play, but i wouldn't go out of my way to pay monsterous amounts of cash for. plus the loading times on the PSP are horrible.. the DS loads as fast as any of their previous consoles/handhelds and has actual fulfilling games.

I was in this same situation and I went with the DS. I don't regret it at all, I absolutely love the DS. The PSP has nothing of interest to me and 90% of it's release list is movies. Plus it's overpriced.

DS is cheaper, has cheaper games, has BETTER games, and the games are a lot more original and innovative. It's definitely the better choice.

[quote name='andayaman']

I don't really understand why I read about how the PSP is all about ports when the DS's top two games is Animal Crossing and Mario Cart. Go figure.
[/QUOTE]

Stop lying.:)

(From GameRankings)
Top ten DS games:
1. Mario Kart DS - 92.5
2. Castlevania: DoS - 90.7
3. Advance Wars DS - 90.6
4. Kirby CC - 88.9
5. Meteos - 88.9
6. Mario & Luigi - 88.7
7. Animal Crossing WW - 86.8
8. Super Mario 64 DS - 86.6
9. Tony Hawk AS - 86.1
10. Nintendogs: Lab - 85.0

Top ten PSP games:
1. Lumines - 90.1
2. Grand Theft Auto - 89.1
3. Wipeout Pure - 88.4
4. Ridge Racer - 88.0
5. Burnout Legends - 86.0
6. Virtua Tennis - 86.0
7. X-Men Legends II - 85.3
8. THUGII - 83.5
9. SOCOM - 82.6
10. Hot Shots Golf - 81.7

If you look at the list, the PSP has a lot of games that are exactly like their console counterpart. But most of the DS games can't really be anything like their console counter part due to the system mechanics (touch screen, etc.).

I have both and love both. However...for the price of a psp and one game
$300.00

You can get the DS and like 5 games, or get a bundle (MKDS or Nintendogs)
and 5 more games such as (my list):lol:

Trauma Center, Castlevania, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime Pinball(W/Rumble pack) & Mario & Luigi : Partners in time.

So I would have to recommend the DS.

bread's done
Back