PSP or HDTV

grae60

CAGiversary!
hey guys what do you think should I get this http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/televisions/digital/index.cfm?productID=904
at walmart for about $570 or should I save a couple hundred bucks get a PSP now and perhaps just wait for HDTV to become more standard in a few years and get one when the price goes down more on HDTVs? Which of the two is the best value right now is what I wonder, heck I'm not even sure if this is a good TV or not so if you feel it's not let me know. Feel free to post your opinions it'll help me decide!

ps I have a DS and love it but I am compulsive to buy all the systems.

I say go for the PSP.

You should really check out the Sanyo HDTV. IMO the picture is just OK, nothing great. I think the best HDTVs for the price are made by Samsung.
Unless you plan to watch alot of HD programming, you probably shouldn't spring for a HDTV just for gaming. Most games don't support HD, most GameCube and Xbox games support at least 480p, which isn't considered to be HD.

I have a 14" JVC component video tv (that I mostly use for gaming) and a 27" HDTV Samsung. IMO when playing games, the images look identical on both sets.

Since the next generation of game system will support HD gaming, as a standard, I would wait at least a year before springing for a HDTV. By then, the costs should be much cheaper.

I'd wait untill HDTV is more of a solid standard before buying one, sure they're sharp but I've yet to be all that impressed personally. Save your money, by the time the next gen systems start to drop they might actually start to hit a more consumer friendly price point with better features.

I have a 42" Plasma HDTV and there isn't very much content right now. adding on HD to my cable is pretty cheap (only 3 more dollars a month) and is great if you have movie channels. But the networks still limit the HD shows. Currently they are growing though. But some of the shows I realy like watching in HD are West Wing, 24, House, and Boston Legal

Oh yeah, and as for gaming goes, not many games support HD yet, or even widescreen for that matter. I think the only Xbox games I have that support HD are Soul Calibur 2 and Xmen legends. The rest all do 480p. The next gen games will hopefully all be in HD because things certainly do look sweeter in widescreen and HD. Oh yeah Soul Calibur2 in 720p is sweet, but it has some weird aspect ratio that isnt fully 16:9

WalMArt carries a 32 4:3 HDTV that is the best HD deal out there. It has a built in Tuner so just plug in a antenna and HDTV for free. Almost all the games on CBS for the tournament are in HDTV this year. I'm looking forward to the PSP but a HDTV is the way to go! It changed my gaming expierence as well. You can buy the HD pack for xbox and get HD gaming and DD 5.1 sound! DD5.1 sound is awesome on alot of these games.There are acutally alot of games that support 480p and 720p. Check out Xbox.com for a list. Also check out avs forums for all your needs concering HD gaming and HDTV programing and hardware!

I'd say go with the PSP.

Just for the simple fact that HDTV's don't have much support at all right now. HD-DVDs and HD-DVD players have yet ot be released as well.

I say wait about 1-2 more years for that HDTV (And by then a better model will probabbly be more affordable, bigger screen and what not :)).

By waiting 1-2 more years you'll probably hit HD in full force when prices will be lower.

If you bought a HDTV, it would be a great investment if you were going to buy the Next Xbox (whatever it will be called). At the GDC, Microsoft said that they are aiming to have all their games in full High-def (1080i). I have a Sony HDTV and I love it. As Zoglog stated before.. most games I play only support 480p now(which still looks pretty). But I bought mine figuring that all the next gen systems would use 1080i.

For me.. I just don't need a handheld system with lesser versions of home console games for the same price (and the exclusives aren't selling me). Plus, I already own an iPod for music. On top of that, if someone wants decent video playback, they have to shell out for a nice MemoryStick. I'd rather save my money for better games on my 3 home consoles... (and Xbox 2??)

Then again.. some people do have to buy em all... :wink:

I imagine it would be best to wait a little while for both to go down in price, but if I had to pick right now, i'd say a PSP. HDTVs are more likely to go down in price/up in quality over the next year.

I'd go for a HDTV if you like gaming at home, or a PSP if you travel a lot. I think I would go for the HDTV, though, since you already own a DS for trips.

Get the PSP. I'd either wait for a price drop or buy a better television. Don't get a crappy product just to have it. HDTV is awesome (trust me) but you get what you pay for...

the sanyo is a good tv for the price,I want one bad, but I don't have room or the money for one right now, I watch ALOT of movies & play a lot of games at home, so a HDTV I would go for. just wait for the psp and see how it is.(I am)You normally don't wan't a 1st run model system anyway, knowing sony,give sony time to find/fix the bound to be bugs in the system.here is a link to some people who know somethings about tv's...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=9d88537c2a1842cabcd1e08d375c88ca&threadid=435721

bread's done
Back