PSP Remaster Series announced (for Japan, so far)

Sony just confirmed that the PSP remasters will not include trophy support. Welp, there goes any incentive for me to double-dip. I'll get titles in the PSP remasters lineup that I don't already own on PSP (or if there's a good tiv for the original psp copies), but I'm not gonna be rebuying titles I already own.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It makes me wonder if they are just going to start porting PSP games to PS3, then what's the point in buying a PSP? I mean I am happy to see this, but it makes me wonder why have a PSP? It kinda seems Sony is hurting themselves if they just release all the good PSP games for PS3.[/QUOTE]

The whole selling point is that you can take your games with you & when you get home why play on the PSP when you can play on your 65 in LED TV. Plus, look at the PSP game library there's a ton of games that have HD counter parts that have sold big #'s & there exclusive. The monster hunter series, MGS acid, peace walker etc + in japan where PSP still dominates the weekly charts they can make a huge profit headway by offering RPG classic for a $30 price point and they'll go GH just in japan. This is also great for developers who lost out b/c of PSP piracy.

It's sad that consumers advocate rehashing the same games over and over again. Don't you want something new and original?

[quote name='0_0']It's sad that consumers advocate rehashing the same games over and over again. Don't you want something new and original?[/QUOTE]

Sure but if this turns out to be really financially successful the longterm results will allow developers to make more $ thus they can take more chances.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Sony just confirmed that the PSP remasters will not include trophy support. Welp, there goes any incentive for me to double-dip. I'll get titles in the PSP remasters lineup that I don't already own on PSP (or if there's a good tiv for the original psp copies), but I'm not gonna be rebuying titles I already own.[/QUOTE]

That's a real shame.

[quote name='Serpentor']No trophies, no double dip, what's the point when there are so many other games to play?[/QUOTE]

This. I'll get these if they include trophy support. Otherwise, I have already played pretty much all of the PSP games that interested me :bouncy:

[quote name='laaj']Any mention about how costly/difficult this is to do? Hoping it is cheap enough for even Atlus can afford it.[/QUOTE]

Will make tons of money think 1 game spread through possibly 3 systems(PSP,NGP, PS3) if there's good intergration between the systems this will become the "new" standard. MS doesn't have a handheld & probably won't be getting into the market anytime soon & I don't see Nintendo competing with this.

MGS confirmed!!!
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1170251p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Enuf']Will make tons of money think 1 game spread through possibly 3 systems(PSP,NGP, PS3) if there's good intergration between the systems this will become the "new" standard. MS doesn't have a handheld & probably won't be getting into the market anytime soon & I don't see Nintendo competing with this.

MGS confirmed!!!
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1170251p1.html[/QUOTE]

You think games that is more than a year old is going to sell tons? Games like God of War and MSG makes sense because they will sell at least few hundred thousand copies but it might not make any sense to port something that will sell less than 100k copies.

Let's say Atlus PSP to PS3 port is projected to sell 50k. That's is very low margins Atlus will be working with. If there is really good SDK for PSP to PS3 port that will make it very easy to do that, Atlus might be in. But if they have to port everything from scratch it might not make any financial sense for them.

[quote name='laaj']You think games that is more than a year old is going to sell tons? Games like God of War and MSG makes sense because they will sell at least few hundred thousand copies but it might not make any sense to port something that will sell less than 100k copies.

Let's say Atlus PSP to PS3 port is projected to sell 50k. That's is very low margins Atlus will be working with. If there is really good SDK for PSP to PS3 port that will make it very easy to do that, Atlus might be in. But if they have to port everything from scratch it might not make any financial sense for them.[/QUOTE]

competely depends on several factors
the game must be good enough to warrant a port
marketing can go a long way too packaging with a demo or DLC code that's extremely desirable
timing and if there's a NGP port too. If it's a launch title then yes it can be
very very successful since the deals combined with it being the "new" thing will carry it.

bread's done
Back