PSP sales... Lukewarm?

I saw plenty of PSPs at local Best Buys, Targets, TRUs, Wal-marts, and Sam's Club. Talking to people (since I was tempted to get PSP and Lumines) lead me to the conclusion that the price is the biggest factor.

We all know Sony shipped a huge number of these systems (around 1,000,000). Why does it surprise you that there are some left over? Just because they had ample supply to more than meet demand doesn't mean the launch is a flop.

The Nintendo DS sold, what, 500k on its launch week? SONY SHIPPED TWICE THAT NUMBER TO RETAILERS... AND ITS LAUNCH WEEK ISN'T EVEN OVER!

In short:

1.) I don't know the specifics. Neither do you.

2.) Let's wait for the $$$$ing numbers.

3.) Nintendo fanbois need a healthy glass of STFU. Go back to fondling your DSes.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']3.) Nintendo fanbois need a healthy glass of STFU. Go back to fondling your DSes.[/QUOTE]

The only fan boy comments I have seen in this thread are from Sony's corner.

At my local Wal-Mart I saw around 20 PSP's sitting there, and they have a 1 per person rule. I dont think that how many on the shelves reflects how well they did since they have 1 million in circulation.
I personally hope the PSP succeeds since I am really enjoying the thing. I think that sales will probably start growing when more games come out (GTA will probably boost sales).
I think that people aren't buying them because they don't know that it does more than just play games, and probably think its just another Gameboy, so Sony needs to have more info out on it...aka Have commericials that show what the PSP can do, not have some dumbass headbobbing and holding a PSP and have Sony expect people to know everything about it with commercials like that...

Plenty o PSPs in my local mall and Best Buy. But I still prefer it to my DS as the only game thats coming out for DS that seems decent is Metroid while the PSP launched with great games, not just an 8 year old port as the only decent launch title.

There's also the other very high probablility that people seem tp be missing and that's that there are hundreds of stores all around the country that have NONE in stock I was at a two GameStops and an EB and they had non.... atleast none that weren't part of a bundle (the EB had none at all though).

Some stores will likely have an overstock while some sold out the first day, and then there are stores that have warehouses to draw from when they run out so it never looks like they're out.

Ultimatly the only indicator of systems not selling up to their potential is when the companies say they sold more than they expected. And yes the companies have to tell something closer to the truth than a lie because they have to answer to stock holders if the books dont add up on further inspection during profit reviews. Nintendo said they expected to sell (X number) of DSs in the first year, they sold more than twice that in the first 6 months. Sony was more careful about their expectations because they knew Nintendo had a strong handheld pressence. If they sell more than that number they did well regardless of how many systems people see on the shelves.

i'm no fanboy, but psp has a good line up. too many racers, lumines, metal gear acid various sports games and untold legends. the sports games, most of the racers and untold legends aren't for me but they are the best of their kind ever to be made portable (i think of untold as action rpg, not rpg). ds is system with lots of potential and the new yoshi game is fun but i'm still playing gba games more than ds games. lumines is addictive, wipeout pure is beautiful.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']We all know Sony shipped a huge number of these systems (around 1,000,000). Why does it surprise you that there are some left over? Just because they had ample supply to more than meet demand doesn't mean the launch is a flop.

The Nintendo DS sold, what, 500k on its launch week? SONY SHIPPED TWICE THAT NUMBER TO RETAILERS... AND ITS LAUNCH WEEK ISN'T EVEN OVER![/QUOTE]

A million units is NOT a large number. That said, I expected, as did Sony, I'd think, that a million units would sell out almost instantly just to the hardcore fanbase. I expected to find no PSPs anywhere when I shopped around that afternoon; instead, I found tons. And employees of the stores (BB, TRU, Target) were equally surprised that they had sold so few units.

Nintendo DS sold...oh yeah, it sold out during its launch week in most places. And it had about a million units at launch in the US as well. I use the old eBay meter to measure the desires of the desparate consumer. DS sold for about 133% of its shelf price on eBay on average. The PSP isn't selling for even its shelf price. In fact, I won two auctions for PSPs, each at $200 (though I didn't make the reserve, so no PSP for me). The eBay market is equally flooded in both circumstances; after the DS launch, there were about 6,000 DS's on eBay (I thought it was saturated, which is why I kept mine) and right now there's about 6,000 PSP's on eBay. The timeframe of the launch may have adversely affected it, though.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']3.) Nintendo fanbois need a healthy glass of STFU. Go back to fondling your DSes.[/QUOTE]

I think you're the one who needs a shot of STFU because you don't know what you're talking about. When you decide to stop acting like a fanboy, then come back. The numbers aren't in, but reports aren't promising. Am I happy about this? Yes and no. I'm hoping Sony execs are saying "Oh shit!" and drop either the Value Pack only deal or lower the price all together. Nintendo dropped the price on the N64 and the Gamecube very shortly after the launch of each respective system, and I think Sony might be smart to do the same. Even so, I'd like to see the PSP do well. I very much want one, and am currently going through Lumines withdrawal, since I got addicted to it in my short time playing this weekend.

[quote name='b3b0p']Many people claim DS has no games.

I ask then, what games are coming for PSP?

For me there are none coming and none of the launch titles for PSP are worth $40. I wanted to get Darkstalkers, but after reading the reviews and finding out they fudged the controls and stretched the image to make it fit the display I decided against it. Eventually I will get a PSP, but not for $249.99.

There are many games I want on DS though. A new Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy, Yoshi Touch & Go just to name a few. I am also very satisfied with Mario 64 and enjoy it greatly.

Chris[/QUOTE]

lumines isnt a rehash, neither is mercury. Rengoku the tower of purgatory isnt out yet but should be a good one. The main seller for me is Ys ark of napishtim, it is supposedly a direct port of the japanese PC game(2d sprites instead of the 3d ones used on the ps2 version)

IF they made castlevania chi no rondo for the PSP, i think that would be icing on the cake.

For people like me who like 2d better than 3d, these handheld systems are a godsend. i dont usually like the handhelds, but if i want good new 2d games then this would seem to be the only way to go. Off course i will probably wait until 2010 to buy xbox 2 or ps3, bc like i said, i am just not into the 3d games.

[quote name='Alpha2']All fanbois can use a good healthy dose of STFU, dosent matter which side they're on.[/QUOTE]

Hear hear! Get that man another round!

It's very difficult to compare the launches of the DS and the PSP. The main reason the DS was so hard to find was because it launched just before Christmas. Parents everywhere were scrambling to find one and that's why eBay prices jumped so high. Go into the stores now and there are plenty of DS's sitting there on the shelves.

The PSP had very little advertising to the mainstream public. Most people who saw mine had just heard about it on launch day or the day after launch day. That being said, most people that saw mine were also very impressed by it. A guy at work is considering getting one just to play movies.

I think the main reasons we are still seeing PSP's on shelves have already been stated: cost, uninformed consumers, plenty of product shipped, and a spring launch.

The PSP is going to do fine. It's an amazing piece of hardware.

You wonder how many people are going through depression or suicide watch for those who horded so many PSPs and put them on eBay, I'm amazed by the foolishness of so many people thinking eBay is still a viable mean of making money, in order to make a profit on eBay, this thing has to go for $300 (this is just the break even point).

---edit: didn't want to pick on just one seller, so I removed the auciton URL, there're quite a few, one guy bought as many as 50, that's over 10 grand, ouch!-----

Don't be deluded by the reports on major news network about how successful the launch is, come to any major stores outside major coastal cities, most barely sold any. Stores like EB and Gamestop in my areas are sold out because they only got 10, yet not all were picked up. Many speculate the preorders are from people intended to resell on eBay. You wonder how much worse the sales would be if you take those eBay horders out of equation.

Personally I think Sony has a cool product on hand and I'd love to have one, but if they want to target high end customers (adults with steady income), their quality of hardware has to be high end too, hear those dead pixel problems? Too many, some had gone through 5 units before settling for one with only 2, until Sony fix those problem and stand behind their product, I'll not touch their systems. After all, most working adults have other priorities on top of gaming, let alone portables. Even if GTA coming up is cool, wouldn't you be better off just buy the same game on console(s)?

I bet that Sony will price drop or release a standalone version near christmas time. As of now, im enjoying it, listening to music and playing the games. Im excited about Coded Arms and Tales of Eternia. Perhaps more developers will reveal more support for the psp in May with E3 around. Not to mention Square is developing a FFVII rpg for the psp may boost sales when it comes out.

[quote name='tyecko']For me it's because of the pricepoint. I would've picked it up for 150-175 if it was just by itself without so many extras bundled, but at 250 I just can't afford it right now.[/QUOTE]

Sony should have launched a more basic model (sans the MP3 and UMD capabilities) at a more competitive price point ($150-175), then offered a dressed-up model/bundle for the holidays. As things stand, it released a very pricey handheld at $250 with a smattering of $50 sequels.

The less than pixel-perfect screens only undermined its launch, and its wait-and-see attitude on the screen problem only serves to underscore the perception of a foolhardy launch for the console itself.

They MIGHT have been able to sell it without MP3 but no one would have bothered to use it for music since that would leave only Sony's proprietary Atrak format and no one wants to conver their entire collection.

They COULD NOT however sell the thing without UMD because thats what the friggen GAMES are on. Are you going to pay 175 bucks for a pocket monitor that you can't play games on?

[quote name='Alpha2']They MIGHT have been able to sell it without MP3 but no one would have bothered to use it for music since that would leave only Sony's proprietary Atrak format and no one wants to conver their entire collection.

They COULD NOT however sell the thing without UMD because thats what the friggen GAMES are on. Are you going to pay 175 bucks for a pocket monitor that you can't play games on?[/QUOTE]

Duly noted. :)

[quote name='0ptical']I bet that Sony will price drop or release a standalone version near christmas time. As of now, im enjoying it, listening to music and playing the games. Im excited about Coded Arms and Tales of Eternia. Perhaps more developers will reveal more support for the psp in May with E3 around. Not to mention Square is developing a FFVII rpg for the psp may boost sales when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it's an rpg, it's just a movie.

i'm still happy with my GBA.. o well.. I'd really like to play movies "on the go". but the movies need to be between 5-10 dollars the price of the hardware wouldn't matter for me because if I could pick up a system and 5 movies for 300 that isn't that bad. I'm still waiting for a used market for either the DS or PSP but the DS needs some more games.. i keep looking and they literally have what.. 10 titles? i understand the "innovative" game play and all that crap but the DS should have some outside support for it.. at least more than it currently has.. and the PSP just needs to have a decent game.. GTA is alright. but I want something like a FF or an EVerquest MMORPG for it. I think it would be cool to have a portable MMO game. and can't they just get Halo 2 for it? heh

[quote name='Alpha2']They MIGHT have been able to sell it without MP3 but no one would have bothered to use it for music since that would leave only Sony's proprietary Atrak format and no one wants to conver their entire collection.

They COULD NOT however sell the thing without UMD because thats what the friggen GAMES are on. Are you going to pay 175 bucks for a pocket monitor that you can't play games on?[/QUOTE]

That's kind of an asinine thing to say. Sony COULD have gotten away without music playback all together and without UMD video or memory stick movie playback. They could have made it just a game machine. If the extra features didn't cost anything, I'd say $$$$ it, throw 'em in. If they added to the price, which they probably did, I personally would have wanted them left out. When I get a PSP, I might use it for movie playback, but that's only because Sony built it in already and I want to use the services I've paid for. I'd never use it for MP3s, however.

[quote name='urzishra14']i'm still happy with my GBA.. o well.. I'd really like to play movies "on the go". but the movies need to be between 5-10 dollars the price of the hardware wouldn't matter for me because if I could pick up a system and 5 movies for 300 that isn't that bad. I'm still waiting for a used market for either the DS or PSP but the DS needs some more games.. i keep looking and they literally have what.. 10 titles? i understand the "innovative" game play and all that crap but the DS should have some outside support for it.. at least more than it currently has.. and the PSP just needs to have a decent game.. GTA is alright. but I want something like a FF or an EVerquest MMORPG for it. I think it would be cool to have a portable MMO game. and can't they just get Halo 2 for it? heh[/QUOTE]

While an MMO on a portable sounds cool in theory, I think it would fail miserably in execution, especially on the PSP. Given that an MMO would be using Wi-Fi, and the PSP battery life is significantly affected by enabling wireless, you would be stuck playing on A/C power for gaming sessions of any length. Also, you would have to stay rooted in one location (hotspot) to make sure you didn't lose your internet connection. So unless you want to park yourself at a table in Starbucks or some other free Wi-Fi establishment, you might as well just get Everquest for the PS2 and play at home.

Well it is a whole $100 more than the DS, making it a "premium" item, as opposed to the GBA/DS being for just about anyone. Besides they JUST started to pimp out ads and marketing materials.

With that said it has been selling pretty well over here, most VG specialty shops are sold clean out.

[quote name='alongx']That's kind of an asinine thing to say. Sony COULD have gotten away without music playback all together and without UMD video or memory stick movie playback. They could have made it just a game machine. If the extra features didn't cost anything, I'd say $$$$ it, throw 'em in. If they added to the price, which they probably did, I personally would have wanted them left out. When I get a PSP, I might use it for movie playback, but that's only because Sony built it in already and I want to use the services I've paid for. I'd never use it for MP3s, however.[/QUOTE]

How is that Asinine? I said "MIGHT" not "couldnt" And I never said anything about UMD movies I only refered to UMD as a format in general, it's what they chose to but their games on, and I suspect the only reason why they decided to do movies aswell with it is because of how high density they were. The discussion probably went something like "we have a nice large screen, larger than most other Personal Video Players currently on the market, why NOT add movie/video playback?"

Yeah they could have done without movies but people would have just said "why dosent it play videos?" and Sony would have missed an opportunity to sell a media device that dose more than it's opposition.

what did people think about the "view from inside the screen" psp commercial with Take Me Out? I like Ferdinand, but i was initially confused the first time i saw the ad since i was expecting there to be a few dark spots on the screen.

i just know a lot of casual gamers i work with havent bought it, but are in a kind of uberawe mode where they think it is a phenomenal device.

Give it time, after all they did ship out 1 MILLION PSPs, did you really expect them to all sell out during the first day at a 250 dollar price point? Especially with all the crappy defects going around?

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/psp/games/news/43769.shtml

PSP sales doubled that of DS sales in Japan this month. A trend that's going to continue all around. Pretty soon you're going to see the DS in terms of sales in relation the PSP as the gamecube is to the PS2.

[quote name='Zoglog']Give it time, after all they did ship out 1 MILLION PSPs, did you really expect them to all sell out during the first day at a 250 dollar price point? Especially with all the crappy defects going around?

PSP sales doubled that of DS sales in Japan this month. A trend that's going to continue all around. Pretty soon you're going to see the DS in terms of sales in relation the PSP as the gamecube is to the PS2.[/QUOTE]

Except this time, it'll be because everyone already has a DS. ;)

not necessarily, I know plenty of people who sold off thier DS to get a PSP instead. Myself included ;). The abundant supply of PSPs just goes to show that

#1 Sony kept thier promise in making sure that people who wanted the console at launch could get it, It isnt necessarily lukewarm sales as much as having an ample stock.

#2 in order to get that stock they may have cut a few corners during production, hence all the pixel problems, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sony releasing crappy first release hardware?! nevarr!? D:!

[quote name='Zoglog']Give it time, after all they did ship out 1 MILLION PSPs, did you really expect them to all sell out during the first day at a 250 dollar price point? Especially with all the crappy defects going around?

PSP sales doubled that of DS sales in Japan this month. A trend that's going to continue all around. Pretty soon you're going to see the DS in terms of sales in relation the PSP as the gamecube is to the PS2.[/QUOTE]

DS also sold more overall units in Japan than the PSP did, and there was only a difference of about a week (maybe 2? i forget the PSP's JP launch date) in their launches. Looks like there hasn't always been a trend for the PSP to outsell the DS, because the DS pulled decently ahead at the beginning. Also, whereas the sales were double this week (not month, learn to read), they're only ahead 100,000 units this year. True, this helps close the gap created last year, but it's not nearly as great as you're trying to make it seem.

As for the PSP's not selling out...if they didn't, that's a problem. A million PSPs is not that much. Especially when you consider then rate at which Sony sells PS2s and PSones to get to the total sales figures they've reached so far. The last console that I recall being released in the spring was the GBA SP, which, at the time, sold out relatively fast and was somewhat hard to find until that summer.

The price is a definite problem that Sony needs to fix. If they want to win, they have to start playing to win, not only in the capabilities of their product, but in the sturdiness and cost of it as well.

It seems like they are really waiting for xmas time. Sony is the king of marketing and I don't see why the PSP would be any different. They are probably purposely delaying advertising for the PSP until they have more games and will be ready to sell the barebones unit. I found it odd that the system was coming out in March but I guess they are really just aiming at hardcore gamers right now. No mainstream "killer apps" yet, high price, and little exposure. Hopefully they get thier act together because if things go according to plan, they will have to compete with XBOX2 around xmas time. Anyway, I'm not really worried about the poor sales.

Hopefully they will get their act together with the pixel problem and stop selling the units in a package deal. One local store is "sold out". They got that way because one guy returned his system 9 times before he got one without a dead pixel and all the others were sent off somewhere to be fixed.

There are around 25 units at the Stroudsburg/Bartonsville, PA Target. Like most people have said, I think the price and lack of advertisement are causing the lackluster sales. Most people are unaware of any hardware/pixel problems.

[quote name='alongx']That's kind of an asinine thing to say. Sony COULD have gotten away without music playback all together and without UMD video or memory stick movie playback. They could have made it just a game machine. If the extra features didn't cost anything, I'd say $$$$ it, throw 'em in. If they added to the price, which they probably did, I personally would have wanted them left out. When I get a PSP, I might use it for movie playback, but that's only because Sony built it in already and I want to use the services I've paid for. I'd never use it for MP3s, however.[/QUOTE]

You aren't paying anything extra for the video codec features. Those are there just as much for the games as for non-interactive uses. Nobody in their right mind would produce a new game system without at least partial hardware assist for codec performance in light of how much video sequences are used in games now. Even the ARM9 in the DS has some SIMD commands solely for that purpose.

Well I wouldn't say the PSP has "bombed" yet. Some people are having trouble finding them, some aren't. My wal-mart got 120 units in, half are already gone. But the thing is walmart has LAYAWAY, and half the units that were sold are there. So I'm guessing most of the units will be canceled in 90 days once people realize that the PSPs aren't rare and all. Also the units that were SOLD? Well they have been returned, tons of people are frustrated by the dead pixels and others are downright dissapointed, but I blame them for not doing any research.

One good thing about the PSP has been Metal Gear Acid. We got in a dozen copies and they sold out on launch day, the only game title to sell real well.

Sony's original estimates on how many PSPs they'd sell were actually lower than Nintendo's estimate on the DS. Sony knew they were entering a brand new market that Nintendo holds dominance in. Look how easily Nintendo sold 4 million DS units. Partly because it's a new unit but mostly because people expect the name Nintendo to deliver a good handheld gaming experience if nothing else because they've done it successfuly for like 10 years straight. Sony wasn't expecting to beat a fully established opponent the first week out of the gate, that's ridiculous. The best they could hope is to make sure the market was heavily stocked so they could minimize people saying "Well, since I can't get a PSP I'll buy a DS and a couple of games" and then in a few months maybe they can close the gap but it aint going to happen 5 days into the launch.

[quote name='epobirs']You aren't paying anything extra for the video codec features. Those are there just as much for the games as for non-interactive uses. Nobody in their right mind would produce a new game system without at least partial hardware assist for codec performance in light of how much video sequences are used in games now. Even the ARM9 in the DS has some SIMD commands solely for that purpose.[/QUOTE]

You are right; I said that assuming that the video codecs were in development purely for UMD movie playback. I forgot about the fact that portable games will now most likely have cut scenes and such.

[quote name='dpatel']Sony is the king of marketing and I don't see why the PSP would be any different. They are probably purposely delaying advertising for the PSP until they have more games and will be ready to sell the barebones unit.[/QUOTE]

Sony didn't delay marketing at all. For example, I was listening to K-Rock yesterday and, aside from the long monologues that the DJs go into about how much the PSP rocks (since K-Rock is giving away PSPs all week), they had a 15 minute extended commercial for the PSP, where Carson Daily comes on for "PSP Radio" and interviews Vicarious Visions, Tony Hawk, and some other random people about the PSP. It was kind of ridiculous. They also never referred to it as a portable gaming device or handheld game console or anything...it was the "handheld entertainment center". I believe Carson even suggested that people throw out their DVD players and buy a PSP.
I've also seen a few TV ads. I've seen more advertisement for the PSP than I did for the PS2 when that launched.

Also, where the hell are the sales figures? GameSpot or IGN usually has launch-day sales figures by the next day.

I have a TiVo, and someone times on bottom of the opening menu advertisment are listed as something you can watch. Lo and behold there was an extended version of the PSP "Take me out" commercial, and what can be best described as a rotating PSP "sneak peek" outlineing all the features of the system. Interesting stuff indeed. Like all PSP ads thus far... no mention of price anywhere, and no overt references to Spiderman 2 being packed in.

bread's done
Back