PSP Sid Meier's Pirates! $19.99 @ ebgames/gamestop

Dang, that's awesome. I love that it's hitting the PSP. Only thing for me is I may start having more opportunities to play PC games than PSP games, so maybe I should pick up that version.

Anyone know if it will be this price in store as well, or only online?

I wonder if the B&M stores will price match their website if nothing else...

Just to confirm - it *is* $19.99, and it *is* in stock now ... or at least it was until I bought the *one* that my local store received ...

[quote name='txa1265']Just to confirm - it *is* $19.99, and it *is* in stock now ... or at least it was until I bought the *one* that my local store received ...[/quote]

awesome.

[quote name='expane']are we sure MSRP is $29? there are many :Budget: psp games coming out as $19.99 like The Warriors etc...[/QUOTE]

Warriors is $20?

[quote name='expane']are we sure MSRP is $29? there are many :Budget: psp games coming out as $19.99 like The Warriors etc...[/QUOTE]

Yep - check out the GameTab page, and also the Best Buy page.

Kinda funny! I called 3 GS stores & 1 EB store and none of them have this $ucker instock ..... all told me is SOLD OUT. I don't wanna use my credit for this game instead store credit.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Kinda funny! I called 3 GS stores & 1 EB store and none of them have this $ucker instock ..... all told me is SOLD OUT. I don't wanna use my credit for this game instead store credit.[/quote]

Same dilema, I called ebgames and gamestop and it was a no go:cry: I want to use my store credit too.

Snagged a copy in store for $19.99. The EB/GS in North Jersey seem to get their games the next day after release.

Got one. I haven't played the game and have heard good things about it, so I figure for this price it's worth a try.

Everywhere else has it for $29.99 so I'm wondering if this isn't a mistake of some kind.

[quote name='whoknows']Gamestop also sells Every Extend Extra for $19.99 which is $10 below MSRP I think...I wonder why they do that.[/QUOTE]

That was a pricedrop, the game sold like crap.

picked one up... very excited... though the real pirate game I would like to see would be a sequel to Bethesda's "Pirates of the Carribean"
Without the horrible bugs rendering it near unplayable, it was a dope game.

I'm in Tempe, AZ and picked up the game at my local EB. $29.99 is the MSRP so if you want the game I'd pick it up now that it's on sale at EB/Gamestop.

Great Deal. Thanks a lot OP! I got one at my local EB games B&M so I can confirm that it is available in store as well.

Nice deal...I've been wanting to try this game for a while. I went to my local GS tonight and grabbed their only "new" copy off the shelf. I played a little tonight and can already tell, I am going to be spending a lot of time with this game. Thanks OP.....

[quote name='Cow_tipper']Anyone have any opinions on it? I'm curious, but I don't want to buy a game based off of a single review.[/QUOTE]

It's identical to the PC and XBOX version. The ships and ports are rather small, all the great details are just not there when you are zipping around the sea... I can't tell if the port is fortified or not unless I zoom in really close.. which is useless.. The only thing that annoys me is the "loading screen" which was 1 second pause on the PC is now about 2-3 seconds for the UMD to spin up... especially the conclusion of sword fights.. Otherwise, it's pretty good port. Multiplayer is good, but with all the small details (the canon shots looks like few pixels from far away).. you really miss the ships falling apart in the PC version. Ironically, the intro video looks cleaner on the PSP wide screen than the PC.. The dance is pretty frustrating.. I really like the PC implementation of looking at the daughter's hand.. now you just stupidly looking down below at the bar like some dumb rhythm game..

Also, everything looks good on widescreen.. The only thing from the XBOX minigame that seems to be missing is the jumping on to the ship mini game.. to get an advantage.. I didn't run it yet or it's just not in there.. I'm already a major.. so probably it's not in there.. Sneaking into town is bit wonky (different).. but hell. if you are sneaking into the governor's masion to the see the daughter.. you don't got the balls to marry her anyway..

If you love Pirates, hell.. who doesn't, you'll just love the fact that you can carry it with you everywhere you go... and play for few minutes.. and continue on later.. it's well worth the $20 for portability...

I have a question about after your pirate retires, does it keep a local top ten scoreboard? In the xbox version there was only a leaderboard online, but kept your highscore.

[quote name='Calico']I have a question about after your pirate retires, does it keep a local top ten scoreboard? In the xbox version there was only a leaderboard online, but kept your highscore.[/QUOTE]

No Score board.. although you can review your career as a whole when you retire.. like review how you beat blackbeard.. etc.. it doesn't save your fame score like the PC with Hall of Fame.. Shame though.. because replay value is bit diminished.. IT doesn't keep your score.. the just returns to the main menu.

[quote name='buster2k']No Score board.. although you can review your career as a whole when you retire.. like review how you beat blackbeard.. etc.. it doesn't save your fame score like the PC with Hall of Fame.. Shame though.. because replay value is bit diminished.. IT doesn't keep your score.. the just returns to the main menu.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, the hall of fame was what I was expecting in the xbox version but was disappointed to the point I didn't play it a second time through. Was hoping for it on the psp... oh well.

The PC game was excellent so I picked up a copy of this. The only thing I got stuck on was dancing with the governors daughter, since they switched up the dance steps sometimes.

One other difference from the Xbox/PC versions is the treasure hunt system.

From the IGN review (9.0):

Finding treasure has been improved here. Whereas the Xbox port had you automatically find treasure if you had a map without the need to navigate on-foot at all, the PSP game sees land travel return along with the new dangers of booby traps and wild animals that will eat your crew alive. It's the most engaging version of treasure hunting yet, and we're glad to see it.

Awesome game at a great price. Don't hesitate to pick it up.

bread's done
Back