PSP square button issue acknowledged...replacement program in Japan

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']SPOnG isn't exactly the most reliable news source around. If you can find this at another site, I'd be more inclined to believe it.[/quote]

Although it does make this news from joystiq.com make more sense.

So they're only fixing the stuck-button problem? In other words, they have no plans to actually position the contact point under the button itself?

It's nice that they're addressing this problem, but the other significant button problem remains.

topic merged

(from IGN.com)

PSP Replacement Program in Japan
For those Japanese PSP units with a stuck square button.
by Anoop Gantayat

February 22, 2005 - Following critical reports of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan's handling of PSP hardware defects, the company opened up just a bit more today on one defect in particular. A small number of PSP systems have shipped with a defective square button that likes to go in and never come back out. SCE has announced that it will replace, at no cost (even shipping will be covered) units that have this defect.

This offer is only for those with Japanese addresses, so PSP importers are out of luck. If you happen to have this problem with your PSP, and you live in Japan, check out the SCE repair page for further details and an address.

SCE points out that only early shipments contained units with this button problem. The problem has since been fixed, meaning you won't run into the problem if you buy the system now.

I'm buying a PSP myself, but why would you post this? Not only is it a repost but the title alone is going to bring a flood of people in.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm buying a PSP myself, but why would you post this? Not only is it a repost but the title alone is going to bring a flood of people in.[/quote]

Maybe he likes a challenge?

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm buying a PSP myself, but why would you post this? Not only is it a repost but the title alone is going to bring a flood of people in.[/quote]

Maybe he likes a challenge?[/quote]

I just really hope it gets locked before "the flood" comes.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm buying a PSP myself, but why would you post this? Not only is it a repost but the title alone is going to bring a flood of people in.[/quote]

I just really hope it gets locked before "the flood" comes.[/quote]

Drenches RedvsBlue with water as he opens the flood gates.

[quote name='punqsux']how dare sony offer replacements, the square button is the most beautiful thing in the world.[/quote]

You're just sad that your losing your tired jokes.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='punqsux']how dare sony offer replacements, the square button is the most beautiful thing in the world.[/quote]

You're just sad that your losing your tired jokes.[/quote]

Oh it figures that the only mod on duty isn't going to lock it but instead get in some quality PSPhatin'.

i dont hate the psp, i just think its over priced.

i dont see why this should be locked, since its not a giant flame war or anything...sure the title could use some work, but other than that whats the problem?

Umm... most peoples problem was that the square button sensor is off center so the button is actually less responsive, not the fact that it get stuck.

I don't see how sony fixing an initial shipment issues has anything to do with PSP naysayers getting owned. Sorry, try again.

[quote name='b0bx13']I'm having problems seeing how Sony fessing up to their screw up = "OMG OLOLOL OWN'D NAYSAYERS ROFFLE"[/quote]

Probably because the "PSP haters" best argument was Sony's cockyness on the sqaure button issues. Now they really can't complain about much except the price. I mean the PSP has great amount of games at launch, many online, a big huge screen, shitloads of capabilies (mp3s, movies, UMD movies).

My only problem with the PSP is the fact that it doesn't have a screen cover, but I'm going get some screen protectors, and one of those third party screen covers.

[quote name='Heyricochet']Umm... most peoples problem was that the square button sensor is off center so the button is actually less responsive, not the fact that it get stuck.

I don't see how sony fixing an initial shipment issues has anything to do with PSP naysayers getting owned. Sorry, try again.[/quote]

The whole thing is I think they're fixing any problem relating to the sqaure button now. So, yeah....

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm buying a PSP myself, but why would you post this? Not only is it a repost but the title alone is going to bring a flood of people in.[/quote]

I just really hope it gets locked before "the flood" comes.[/quote]

Drenches RedvsBlue with water as he opens the flood gates.[/quote]

water? as he opens the flood gates? it's gasoline man, gas, ignite! fire fire fire, burn! I like flames and death, now... please kill me!!!!

edit: Sooooooooo, can the umd still come flying out if you twist the system a lil? just curious :)

I really wish it would ship in some other case type. That case looks like it's going to get really dirty quick, and secondly beauty has nothing to do with moving the square button a couple of millimeters to the right :p

Regardless I will be buying games when they drop in price, and buying a unit at the end of the year for sure :)

perhaps i dont understand. How can they fix it without making the unit bigger or the screen smaller, given that the contact for the square button is closer to the center than the other 3 buttons.

Actually, I think Sony is owning you if you pay $250. But I know there will be people that pay more after launch. I've actually considered buying 4 of these, with the thought that selling 3 will pay for the one I keep, and maybe bringing some profit. I just can't justify the risk of dropping a grand like that though.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']perhaps i dont understand. How can they fix it without making the unit bigger or the screen smaller, given that the contact for the square button is closer to the center than the other 3 buttons.[/quote]

They've now admitted there was more to the problem than how the button lined up with the actuator. They now profess to a manufacturing error that left some plastic untrimmed that was causing the sticking issue. If they had just been more open to their customers' concerns and investigated the problem sooner they could have averted a lot of bad PR.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']perhaps i dont understand. How can they fix it without making the unit bigger or the screen smaller, given that the contact for the square button is closer to the center than the other 3 buttons.[/quote]

It was my understanding that it had nothing to do with the alignment of the contacts, but that the edge of the square button and right d-pad were getting hung up on the edges of the screen enclosure assembly and "sticking" or not popping back up into place correctly.

But the big question is, will they fix this issue with the US ones. It says its been fixed in the Japanese ones... Seeing how they have a million units to ship stateside, they probably already have a ton made. I wonder who the lucky losers will be.

Now if they'd acknowledge that dead pixels is not as fucking common as they claim.

I wonder if they have the same policy regarding dead pixels for their Vaio laptops.

myke.
...probably not.

Hmm thats interesting i read the article and I commend sony for stepping up and replacing them. Similiar to Nintendo with there dead (blue) pixel on the bottom screen. I hope them will fix my dead pixels in my screen when the US version comes out, as of now sony support has me write down a case number and i have to wait because the US technical support isn't up and ready, but they did say they would offer me a full replacement! Overall customer service i got was awesome.

PS they said that the manf. problem has been fixed and will be non-existent in the US versions

[quote name='punqsux']i dont hate the psp, i just think its over priced.

i dont see why this should be locked, since its not a giant flame war or anything...sure the title could use some work, but other than that whats the problem?[/quote]

It's that everyone who seems to not like the PSP makes the same damn jokes and it gets old. "I'm Rick James, bitch!" isn't funny anymore because it got old so quickly after everyone used it for the next few weeks.

[quote name='Maynard']Hmm thats interesting i read the article and I commend sony for stepping up and replacing them. Similiar to Nintendo with there dead (blue) pixel on the bottom screen. I hope them will fix my dead pixels in my screen when the US version comes out, as of now sony support has me write down a case number and i have to wait because the US technical support isn't up and ready, but they did say they would offer me a full replacement! Overall customer service i got was awesome.

PS they said that the manf. problem has been fixed and will be non-existent in the US versions[/quote]

Waitaminute...you imported a PSP and talked to Sony tech support about it? And they agreed to fix it once it gets up a running in the States?

What number do I call?

myke.

Understand:
What they are fixing is the issue of the button sticking which is the fault of a factory error, this has nothing to do with the offset button contact which was designed the way it was intentionally to make the buttons the size they are in the placement they are on the face of the system.

In sony's opinion the offset does not cause a signifigant playability issue and thus there will be no change to the system's design in the near future.

I think that it's kind of funny that they finally address this issue a few months after it is known, and after Ken Kuturagi said that it was not a flaw, that it was part of the design and that developers and gamers were going to have to learn to live with it. That's bolder and more piggish than anything that Yamauchi has ever said, and what's more is that Yamauchi at least stuck to his words. It just makes me a little angry that someone (Kuturagi) in a position that they are, only because of the fans of their products, are going to be so rude and give their customers the shaft, only to finally quietly acknoledge that the "design" really was a flaw, but they don't apologize for the earlier comment. You have to be kind to those who have put you in the position that you are. Telling the customer tough luck, and then not apologizing just isn't good business sense.

Anyway. Good call on Sony's part (finally). I'm glad that they decided to fix this issue. I still won't be buying one anytime soon, but at least the rest of you will be able to play your games correctly.

The problem as they are concered is a manufactoring one which has nothing to do with the offset button. All Kuteragi was saying is they as long as the button is pressable it should work fine but it might feel differently from the other buttons which is something the developers will have to work with if they feel it will cause a comfort issue.

The PSP wasnt designed flawed it was designed awkwardly with a fix that that theorectically works fine. They are not changing the offset, just fixing the buttons that stick for resons other than the offset.

bread's done
Back