PSPgo Now $69.99 Used @ GameStop

Untamed Sorrow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
167 (100%)
Just picked one up in excellent shape today, great investment if you have a bunch of PSN content. Also noticed the accessories are dirt cheap as well, Happy Hunting !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this system be a worthwhile buy?

I wanna play the God of War PSP games, Silent Hill PSP game and some of the RE ps1 originals.

Not sure if it's worth the money though considering what the games are still going for..

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Not sure I understand. Does the psp go have router connection issues?[/QUOTE]

built off older routers like ds lite, won't recognize 802.11 g, but will a and b. Don't feel like fucking up every other device to fix my pspgo. I just hooked it up to ps3 and I've been adding games this way.

when I try to hook my PSPgo up to my ps3 and update it that way, it says system is too weak. is there any way to solve that? other than just downloading the update to my PC and copying it over to the go

[quote name='Backlash2332x']when I try to hook my PSPgo up to my ps3 and update it that way, it says system is too weak. is there any way to solve that? other than just downloading the update to my PC and copying it over to the go[/QUOTE]
Just guessing, but maybe you need to let the battery charge for a while?

I went to a GameStop earlier to test out the PSPGO. I liked how light it was, and I also liked the placement of the buttons/dpad. The only thing is, how much does the bigger screen of the 3000 add to psp/ps1 games vs the Go? I must admit the 16gb of internal memory is enticing though.

[quote name='enforcer2003']Just guessing, but maybe you need to let the battery charge for a while?[/QUOTE]

I let it get a full charge and it's still doing it
>.<

EDIT: success! turned out my security settings on my router weren't compatible with it. fixed that, and everything works great.

[quote name='exaznkid']if anything the pspgo would make for a pretty neat mp3 player[/QUOTE]

Not really since the audio output is rather weak, correct me if I'm wrong but so far the vita has the best sound quality. The others just sound too low for my taste.

How much do they give on trade for a PSP-1000, have a couple I'd like to trade for a PSP-2000, and do they care if they have CFW?

Man, I am super tempted to get one of these. I've had a PSP 1000 since 2007 and it is one of my favorite systems. The PSP never really got credit for having such an incredible library of games. I'm going to get a GO or a 3000 one of these days, but I just don't have the cash right now.

[quote name='parrothead87']Do I need to own a PS3 or anything to download from the PSN store if I get one[/QUOTE]

No, you can download directly to the GO or use the Sony MediaGo software on your PC to download then transfer to the GO via USB.

I've been tempted for a good time to get a Go. Is there any advantage to that over say a newer normal PSP model?

I bought a Go nearly 2 years ago for $100 at Target. My honest opinions, the system is terrible for long play over 30 minutes unless you have small hands, not fat, those are worse. the rest of your fingers that rest against the back of the system touch the other and cramps the hand badly.

The on board storage which is the only selling point of the system, it's a pain to use for me at least.

[quote name='taylort3']always wanted to play psp games on my tv. i may buy a 2000 unit just for that purpose.[/QUOTE]

The PSPgo is probably the best way to play PSP games on your TV. Since it has Bluetooth you can connect a PS3 controller to it and sit back comfortably playing.

I love the go actually. I use it in conjunction with a PSP-1000.

I went to Gamestop and asked if I could buy the PSPGo and the guy went on a 5 minute talk, trying to convince me that it was a piece of garbage. He kept bringing up the fact that I'd have to buy games at full price rather than paying 9 bucks for used games at Gamestop (I guess this is somewhat of a valid point).

Still, I thought he was pretty harsh. I still ended up buying the Go, and I think he was pissed at me.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I went to Gamestop and asked if I could buy the PSPGo and the guy went on a 5 minute talk, trying to convince me that it was a piece of garbage. He kept bringing up the fact that I'd have to buy games at full price rather than paying 9 bucks for used games at Gamestop (I guess this is somewhat of a valid point).

Still, I thought he was pretty harsh. I still ended up buying the Go, and I think he was pissed at me.[/QUOTE]

Don't you love when you know EXACTLY what you want, and these douche hats try to talk you out of it? Just ring us up and shut up please. And no Gamestop, I'm not going to be pre-ordering Teen Mom 2 for the 3DS either.

Yeah seriously, he made me feel like a jerk for wanting to buy the PSPGo. I couldn't get out of there fast enough after I bought it.

Also, when he got the actual unit out of the back he said it was practically brand new because the person that had bought it returned it 'for exactly the reasons that he just told me about' (i.e. another jab at me).

Oh well, I think I'll still enjoy it

[quote name='Dysheekie']Yeah seriously, he made me feel like a jerk for wanting to buy the PSPGo. I couldn't get out of there fast enough after I bought it.

Also, when he got the actual unit out of the back he said it was practically brand new because the person that had bought it returned it 'for exactly the reasons that he just told me about' (i.e. another jab at me).

Oh well, I think I'll still enjoy it[/QUOTE]

When I bought one at $99 I had 3 employees telling me the same thing at the same time...which was super annoying! I think that when it comes to the GO everyone focused so heavily on it's shortcomings they ignored all the positives of the system. It was seriously as if they rehearsed their speech. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamestop corporate tells them to sway people into buying a 1000-3000 so they can sell used games along with it. But seriously...shut up!

I told the GS employee that I wanted it solely to play old rpg's and he said "oh, OK, yeah then this is a good idea!" At first he tried to talk me into a vita, though.

[quote name='Dysheekie']I went to Gamestop and asked if I could buy the PSPGo and the guy went on a 5 minute talk, trying to convince me that it was a piece of garbage. He kept bringing up the fact that I'd have to buy games at full price rather than paying 9 bucks for used games at Gamestop (I guess this is somewhat of a valid point).

Still, I thought he was pretty harsh. I still ended up buying the Go, and I think he was pissed at me.[/QUOTE]

Mentioning his opinion once is one thing, but going on and on about it repeatedly is annoying as heck. He probably didn't know that he as talking to a well-informed CAG shopper. :)

[quote name='eggwolio']Want one.

I need a freaking job. :([/QUOTE]

Then you will have the money, but then won't have the time to play it. Sort of a Catch 22 situation a little bit.

Reasons like that alone stop me from shopping there. The last time I was in there my girlfriend bought three Gamecube games. They were pretty helpful, and I admire that. I just hate when they go into their rants. I know you seem like you "know" what you're talking about, but just ring up my games please.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Then you will have the money, but then won't have the time to play it. Sort of a Catch 22 situation a little bit.[/QUOTE]

Depends on where he works. I work two days a week because work is slow so I've been enjoying going through my backlog.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Then you will have the money, but then won't have the time to play it. Sort of a Catch 22 situation a little bit.[/QUOTE]

I work six days a week. but the Go is damn perfect for squeezing in about ten minutes of gameplay during my lunch break haha.

tempted on the go. but I want used games (mainly rpgs) on the cheap. is the 3000 that noisy? is it easy to play with one hand free? ( busy holding baby)

[quote name='eldergamer']tempted on the go. but I want used games (mainly rpgs) on the cheap. is the 3000 that noisy? is it easy to play with one hand free? ( busy holding baby)[/QUOTE]Neither is good for one handed gaming. I'd look into smart phone games if you are going to play one handed.

[quote name='eldergamer']tempted on the go. but I want used games (mainly rpgs) on the cheap. is the 3000 that noisy? is it easy to play with one hand free? ( busy holding baby)[/QUOTE]

The Go isn't ideal for one-handed playing, but I think it may fare better than a 3000, since you could move a finger from d-pad to buttons without crossing a screen.

That being said I would suggest a 3000 to most users. Retailers really drive down prices on games.

It's also important to be aware that some games are not on the PSN. So if you get a go you couldn't play Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

If there are specific games you're interested in, you may want to take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_PSP_games

[quote name='orangecrush']Neither is good for one handed gaming. I'd look into smart phone games if you are going to play one handed.[/QUOTE]

Actually my dsi works okay. with baby asleep on my shoulder I can use two hands, but really only move one. thats what I meant.

so is it worth to pick up a psp go? Is it going cramp the hands?

FYI- The Best Buy in Tyson Corner, VA has the component cable for $2.
BUT its for the 2000/3000 psp models only.

[quote name='eldergamer']tempted on the go. but I want used games (mainly rpgs) on the cheap. is the 3000 that noisy? is it easy to play with one hand free? ( busy holding baby)[/QUOTE]

I don't think the go is a terrible deal, but I bought a 2000 for $60 last month and added a 32gb card (microSD + adaptor) to it for another $20 and I don't really regret the decision.

I will say that despite getting it so that I had the option of playing UMD stuff I have played 99% digital downloads and the UMD is definitely fairly loud while it is spinning. I've played a lot of PS1 games on it. It's great for the old JRPGS and they are dirt cheap on the PS Store.

You really can't play anything psp related with one hand though.

Is there any real advantage to the GO that you can't get from a 2 or 3000 and a card? I know it has a smaller form factor, but it also has a smaller screen right?

I picked up a pre-owned psp go yesterday and was playing it all night.

The ability to play DJ Max (and I'm talking about Black Square and Clazzaquai ;] ) games with a ps3 controller makes this purchase so worth $70. I also only played with credit. :bouncy:

[quote name='The Punisher']so is it worth to pick up a psp go? Is it going cramp the hands?

BUT its for the 2000/3000 psp models only.[/QUOTE]

It's not as comfortable to hold as the regular PSPs but my hands never felt cramped (though I don't have giant hands or anything). The analog nub will kill your thumb for a few days though, then you get used to it.

A big advantage is being able to use a DualShock 3 with it (you need a PS3 to pair the PSP Go and DS3 though) even though the controls stay the same, ie, you can't use the second joystick. The controls remain mapped exactly as they are on the PSP.

You can get a generic Go HDMI or component cable for like $7 on eBay. Some TVs have pretty good zoom options but mine does not so I picked up one of those upscalers so that games fill up the entire screen (though that wasn't cheap, another $65) rater than only 1/2 the screen.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']The GO is a deluxe handcramper. I could never play mine for more than about 20 minutes without having to take a break.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I tried playing soccer and had to give up after 20 mins but becasue it was 2 hard to press the stick + shoulder buttons + face buttons. I use it for mostly RPG's. Mega man X was ok though (only need to press 2 buttons)

May have to pass on the go and maybe get a 2000 when its cheaper down the road. I have a mint condition psp 1000 with the screen protector on it.
Im rockin it with RE1, 2 and 3, and Xenogears.

I got a vita in March but I was considering jumping on this deal. As a poster mentioned, did anybody buy this that owns a vita. I don't know if it would make sense for me to buy a pspgo if i already own a vita. Thoughts?

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']I got a vita in March but I was considering jumping on this deal. As a poster mentioned, did anybody buy this that owns a vita. I don't know if it would make sense for me to buy a pspgo if i already own a vita. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have a Vita, and I'm planning on going to pick one of these up this evening (if I can find one in good shape.) I like the idea of the 16GB of internal storage, the tiny form factor, the video out, the dualshock connection ability, and the ability to run homebrew on it.

This isn't related to the deal, but is kinda related to the topic:

Is emulation pretty easy to do on the PSP-3000? I was thinking of getting one to play the few UMD games that will probably never be released online like Crisis Core and the Kingdom Hearts game. Wouldn't mind using it as an emulator for games like Earthbound.

[quote name='The Punisher']so is it worth to pick up a psp go? Is it going cramp the hands?

BUT its for the 2000/3000 psp models only.[/QUOTE]
The regular composite cable for the Go is $4 at Kmart on clearance while the component one is $10. As I mentioned already, the official memory cards for the system are on clearance as well. The 2gb is $4, the 4gb is $6 but I believe the 8gb one is still $20+.

Got one today, and it came with a GS-branded charge cable that mutes the system when it's charging, i.e., it emits no sound when being charged with this cable. This is my experience, and apparently others experienced this as well. Just something to keep in mind if you are looking at one with a charge cable that isn't first party (will have PS logo on the charge cable connector if it is).

[quote name='gettinmoney662']This isn't related to the deal, but is kinda related to the topic:

Is emulation pretty easy to do on the PSP-3000? I was thinking of getting one to play the few UMD games that will probably never be released online like Crisis Core and the Kingdom Hearts game. Wouldn't mind using it as an emulator for games like Earthbound.[/QUOTE]

if you read this before the mods delete it, yes, the psp is a fantastic emulator. part of the reason i want a 3000 is to emulate easily on my tv :)

Check the Sony Store, if you have one, for accessories. I picked up a lot of cheap stuff for the 3000 over the weekend (extended battery, battery charger, headset with remote, and umd case that holds 8) for like 8 bucks, if that.

I went to my local GS and was too late for this deal, but i did score a mis marked 3000 for $59. That completes my set of all psp models. So far my Go and Vita are my favs. The Go is super portable and the 16 gigs, bluetooth is great for watching movies at work! Long story short, i will still be buying another Go.

bread's done
Back