PStwo HDD idea!?!

benji25

CAG Veteran
couldn't you just get an external hard drive and plug it in to the usb ports? are they even usb ports? if they are why couldn't you?

Because USB 1.0 doesn't transfer fast enough compared to the IDE connection the PS2 hard drive used.

[quote name='jmcc']Because USB 1.0 doesn't transfer fast enough compared to the IDE connection the PS2 hard drive used.[/quote]

I thought the PS2 used USB 2.0?

There is no indication at all that the PS2 I/O chip (which also runs PSone software) has been upgraded to a USB 2.0 host controller. Since Sony's primary reason for doing the new model was to cut cost and allow for an eventual sub-$100 price point, there isn't much ROI on providing fast USB at this point. If a high speed port had served any great value to the platform Sony would have retained the 1394 port that was part of the original models.

I think Sony has learned the lesson of expensive add-ons. If it isn't built-in or well supported early on, it's likely a complete loss. Imagine if Microsoft had taken three years to launch Xbox Live. After that long stretch with no use for the Ethernet port for most users, how many would really care if a new model Xbox came out without the port?

The specs from the Playstation official site don't say which type it is, but the original PS2 model was out before USB 2.0 was used very much(if they were even out at all...I cannot remember), so I would be surprised if they are 2.0 slots. Plus they would have been overkill for what they were intended for

[quote name='Rodego']The specs from the Playstation official site don't say which type it is, but the original PS2 model was out before USB 2.0 was used very much(if they were even out at all...I cannot remember), so I would be surprised if they are 2.0 slots. Plus they would have been overkill for what they were intended for[/quote]

From a technological standpoint it is entirely feasible for Sony to have upgraded the USB controller in the new chipset. (The PStwo uses a revised chipset that enables the much smaller form factor.) A USB 2.0 controller can function tranparentlly as a USB 1.1 host for devices and software that only understand that mode. The cost would be about 10,000 additional gates on the I/O, which would be quite reasonable if this was regarded as an important feature but it apparently isn't. It's extremely unlikely Sony would implement such an upgrade without talking it up prominently.

Supposedly one of the Mod Chip sites actually ASKED and got the response that they are USB 2.0. This would explain rumors that someone has come up with a way to use a HD on the PStwo.

Well, HDD aside, if Sony would release a first party memory card that was much larger than the 8MB it is, then I'm all for it. Give me a 16MB/32MB memory card at the cost of a regular card and I'd be a happy man...

The PS2 console also comes with a built-in power supply, but in
contrast the PSTwo comes with an external power supply. PSTwo
is also equipped with an OEM "Flip-Top" or top-loading lid as shown
here, whereas the standard PS2 uses an ejecting drive tray. It
is also important to NOTE that PS2 uses USB 1.1 whereas PSTwo
comes equipped with USB 2.0 ports for even faster data transfers.

also:

After breaking the NEWS first in our past news, we would now like to post a brief update on it. Progress is going well, and here are the current details on the upcoming PSTwo USB HDD product:

* The format- the utility will be available on a single pressed PS2-compatable disc, similar to the HD Advance and Swap Magic Discs.

* The utility can be used with any external PC USB HDD on the PSTwo, and will allow end-users to launch games from the drive just as HD Advance currently does from internal hard disk drives on v1-v11 PS2 consoles.

* The suggested retail price (from the manufacturer) for this exciting upcoming product is set at only $28.99 each.

* Finally, the estimated time remaining before the product will be ready is only 2-3 weeks! However, this estimate is subject to change should any production issues arise of course. More details to come as they are available!

[quote name='Alpha2']
The PS2 console also comes with a built-in power supply, but in
contrast the PSTwo comes with an external power supply. PSTwo
is also equipped with an OEM "Flip-Top" or top-loading lid as shown
here, whereas the standard PS2 uses an ejecting drive tray. It
is also important to NOTE that PS2 uses USB 1.1 whereas PSTwo
comes equipped with USB 2.0 ports for even faster data transfers.

also:

After breaking the NEWS first in our past news, we would now like to post a brief update on it. Progress is going well, and here are the current details on the upcoming PSTwo USB HDD product:

* The format- the utility will be available on a single pressed PS2-compatable disc, similar to the HD Advance and Swap Magic Discs.

* The utility can be used with any external PC USB HDD on the PSTwo, and will allow end-users to launch games from the drive just as HD Advance currently does from internal hard disk drives on v1-v11 PS2 consoles.

* The suggested retail price (from the manufacturer) for this exciting upcoming product is set at only $28.99 each.

* Finally, the estimated time remaining before the product will be ready is only 2-3 weeks! However, this estimate is subject to change should any production issues arise of course. More details to come as they are available!
[/quote]

What's the source on these? I don't believe the PSTwo uses USB2.0. Like Epobirs said, they were looking to cut costs on the PSTwo. Upgrading to 2.0 for no reason just isn't a logical decision.

Rumor #5: The new PlayStation 2's USB ports are 2.0, not 1.1.

Source: A bunch of confused GameSpot editors.

The official story: See below.

What we heard: After caressing the petite console's black-matte case, several GameSpot editors began thumbing through the manual. Looking at the tech specs on page 50, something struck us. In the "Inputs/Outputs" section were the words "USB Connector 2"--it didn't identify which kind of USB connector. Since the original PlayStation 2 used USB 1.1, and USB 1.1 has been all but phased out, could the USB connectors be USB 2.0? If they were, the USB connectors could be used to support a variety of fancy peripherals, including an external hard drive (which would come as a great relief to Final Fantasy XI players). However, our hopes were dashed by Sony, which said the USB ports had the "same functionality as the first PS2."

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus.

Yeah, the PStwo USB ports are certifiably, undeniably *NOT* USB 2.0 HiSpeed ports. I don't know how these b.s. rumors get started, but let bogus misinformation die already.

I got the quotes from PS2ownz.com, It's a site by people who spend their time finding ways to hack the PS2. They've been digging through the PStwo since day one looking for ways to better use stuff like the Swapmagic disks, if you want you can go there and discuss it with them as I'm just the messager.

I assume a Mod wil likely edit that previous paragraph, and I'll totally understand if they do, since the site is all about Modding systems.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']too bad they got rid of the firewire port........[/quote]

The iLink port... yeah it pissed me off too as I didnt even know when they did, atleast me and my friend still have early gen systems with it so we can still play two player versions of GT A-spec and Armored Core on separate TVs. But I assume they want everyone to think about using the internet now.

[quote name='Fatesealer']Well, HDD aside, if Sony would release a first party memory card that was much larger than the 8MB it is, then I'm all for it. Give me a 16MB/32MB memory card at the cost of a regular card and I'd be a happy man...[/quote]

In the latest EGM rumor section, they said that Sony was working on coming out with a vastly improved memory card format that would allow "a ton more data" than the current 8MB cards. It specifically mentions enough data for SOCOM 2 maps or playing FFXI online. While I highly doubt they are going to be releasing a card with enough storage to play FFXI, I hope they do create something that would negate the need for multiple memory cards.

The rumor was discussed in the context of Sony releasing the PSTwo and the fact that it is not compatible with the HD.

I think it's plausible that the new model does indeed have USB2 ports. Although it would cost them... it wouldn't cost much. It's not as if USB2 is a new technology with an expensive patent. I guess we'll wait and find out.

So no external harddrive? or is it a maybe? I want a ps2 for xmas, but I want a HDD for it and im not sure about buying a refurbished xbox.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I think it's plausible that the new model does indeed have USB2 ports. Although it would cost them... it wouldn't cost much. It's not as if USB2 is a new technology with an expensive patent. I guess we'll wait and find out.[/quote]

It doesn't pass the smell test by the simple fact that Sony made any noise whatsoever about this. Do you really believe anyone in Sony's PR department could resist treating such an upgrade as the Second Coming?

It should also be kept in mind that even if the USB 2.0 functionality were in the system that none of the existing software is likely to support it. Unlike a PC there isn't a substantial OS layer to provide hardware abstraction. A recoded version of FFXI and other HDD supporting games and utilites would have to be created.

It's possible they made no noise about if for that exact reason. If nothing uses the 2.0 functionality why bother saying anything.

They may have simply gone with 2.0 because 1.1 is antiquated.

The wait for news goes on...

[quote name='Alpha2']It's possible they made no noise about if for that exact reason. If nothing uses the 2.0 functionality why bother saying anything.

They may have simply gone with 2.0 because 1.1 is antiquated.

The wait for news goes on...[/quote]

It's hardly antiquidated if the 1.1 speeds serve the purpose of the device. The major apps currently are keyboard and mice. I happen to be about one third through a big deployment at my current job of new Dell desktop systems. These machince have no PS/2 ports and so USB input devices are required although legacy parallel and serial ports are supplied. The keyboards from Dell are USB 2.0 devices but only to the extent they have USB 2.0 hubs built in. The keyboard itself operates in the vastly more than adequate 1.5 megabit mode but as a 2.0 device so as not to force the hub to downgrade itself. Without that hub function there would be no good reason for this to be a 2.0 device.

The indications are that Sony regards the HDD support on the PS2 as a failed deployment. They took three years to get their product out and thus hard a hard time building wide interest in a $100 add-on for a $150 game system. If they had released a 10 GB drive within a year of the PS2 launch it would have offered more than enough capacity and gotten the attention of developers but nobody at Sony appreciated this problem at the time. This is the same bunch that designed the first generation PS2 in Japan with a PCMCIA Type III slot for drives despite the much greater expense this would have entailed over a commodity PC drive. How that ever got past the CAD stage is amazing to me. Almost on a par with the braindead design of the first gen N*gage.

It would fall in line with their early stament that you wouldnt be able to save games on the drive that they didnt intend it for storage of save files at first.

Keep in mind the speculation of it being a 2.0 port comes from a Mod/hack site, they'd be the only ones to benefit from the 2.0 spec for certain atleast untill Sony came up with a possible use, of which no one would foresee untill they actually came up with it.

My question is if they were to have gotten a deal on a batch of 2.0 connections would it have been a big deal for them to use them instead?

bread's done
Back