PSTwo questions

oleander

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just got a new PSTwo, and started playing FFVII, and noticed that there are crazy pauses all over the place (that I don't recall in the 2 hours I played it on a normal PS2). Mainly the pauses are before and after battles, but there are times when it just freezes for a second or two when I am running around also. Does anyone know what would cause this and if/how it can be fixed?
Also, when I turned on the faster disc reading and texture smoothing features, it just froze...does anyone know how to find out if a game is compatible with those features, or do you just play and find out what happens?

I dunno why. I had the same problem with the big old ps2. It even freezes ocasionally when I play the FF7 with texture filtering and/or fast loading mode turned on.

That's why I am selling my ff7 and play the PC version instead (strangely, FF7 on PC needs old 3d cards to work, it doesn't play in accelerated mode when I am using my geforce 4 ti 4200 or my ATI 9800pro)

I remember reading somewhere that those "features" (fast disk loading and the texture one) cause more problems than they're worth. Sorry to be so vague though.

[quote name='praystation']I dunno why. I had the same problem with the big old ps2. It even freezes ocasionally when I play the FF7 with texture filtering and/or fast loading mode turned on.[/QUOTE]
Then why didn't you try playing with them off and see if they worked fine then. Just because they're there doesn't mean they have to be turned on.

[quote name='praystation']That's why I am selling my ff7 and play the PC version instead (strangely, FF7 on PC needs old 3d cards to work, it doesn't play in accelerated mode when I am using my geforce 4 ti 4200 or my ATI 9800pro)[/QUOTE]

Don't the polygons in the PC version look really jagged no matter what video card you're using?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Then why didn't you try playing with them off and see if they worked fine then. Just because they're there doesn't mean they have to be turned on.[/QUOTE]

I think I did that too, but the game crashes ocassionally nevertheless.

I heard it causes the PSTwo problems if your discs are scratched or anything that would make them harder to read. Is your game beat up?

First of all those features are not worth turning on since they do very little yet can cause lots of problems.

Secondly if your pstwo still has problems don't hesitate to get it exchanged.

I turned the fast loading on and left the smooth texturing off and it has worked fine since (and I've played about 15 hrs. of FFVII)...what odd quirks the PSTwo has...
I am just glad it wasn't a more serious problem...

[quote name='oleander']I turned the fast loading on and left the smooth texturing off and it has worked fine since (and I've played about 15 hrs. of FFVII)...what odd quirks the PSTwo has...
I am just glad it wasn't a more serious problem...[/QUOTE]

It's just not the pstwo that does that the fat ps2 would act up the same up the same way.

bread's done
Back