Psychonauts Sucks!!!

Sanosuke Sagara

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I can't believe I spent even $10 on this game. Everywhere had glowing reviews, and when it dropped to $10 on amazon I thought I was obligated to buy it. Not only is the gameplay repetitive and boring, the framerate on the ps2 version was horrible. It was the first time I noticed my ps2 chugging EVER. On top of that, I didn't even find the story that good or the dialoge humorous. I don't know if it's because I'm coming from playing RE4 and MGS3 but this game was horrible in every way. Just thought I'd give a heads up to those who were thinkin about pickin this up for the ps2.

I have it for PS2, and loved it. I've only played it for about 2 hours, but its just different. Reason why I like it is because of that quirkyness

Well for one it was designed for the XBox so that's probably part of the reason. Also if you're into blood and shit I suppose that would explain your lack of love for the game, this isn't some mature shit, it's for everyone to my knowledge. Shit I haven't even played it and can guess some of this looking at the photos and based upon knowing it was being paid for by MS.

It's okay. Daddy's here. There, there, lets get all those tears out. I know, I know. $10 is a lot of money. Now, son, you need to stop crying or daddy is gonna have to take off his belt.

Seeing as its a Tim Schaffer game, and the only one I've played. But from my understanding, his games require a bit of a wierd quirky sense of humor to get into it.

If you don't like Pyschonauts, you shouldn't be allowed to play video games.

There's really no other way around it.

[quote name='Strell']If you don't like Pyschonauts, you shouldn't be allowed to play video games.

There's really no other way around it.[/quote]

Thats putting it rather bluntly...but thats our Strell!

[quote name='redgopher']It's okay. Daddy's here. There, there, lets get all those tears out. I know, I know. $10 is a lot of money. Now, son, you need to stop crying or daddy is gonna have to take off his belt.[/QUOTE]

For the win!

As for Strell I'm surprised he didn't add some certain joke since he's notorious for them.

[quote name='Strell']If you don't like Pyschonauts, you shouldn't be allowed to play video games.

There's really no other way around it.[/QUOTE]I rented the Xbox version, but found it to be okay at best. I found Ratchet & Clank series, Jak series, Ape Escape series, Maximo series, and Sly series to be superior.

I consider Psychonauts to be in the top 5 games of this generation, but I would agree that there were a few minor technical flaws on the PS2 version (noticably the horrid load times and a bit of choppiness at certain areas). But I found the writing to be truly brilliant and was surprised at how in depth the gameplay was. It took me a little while to warm up to, but by the time I found myself in Lungfishopolis I knew I was witnessing something special.

When I went to bed last night, Psychonauts did not suck. Now Psychonauts sucks? What happened??? Oh, I see! You got the $10 version. You should have bought the $15 dollar version. Go buy it again!

How far did you get before youy gave up? If you pass it up you are really missing something special. I've never played a game like this and I've played damn near everything Tim Schaefer has put out.

I'm not a really a fan of platformer to begin with.

I thought the game was mildly amusing, but the actual game play was too much collect this and run back and forth for me.

[quote name='peteloaf']How far did you get before youy gave up? If you pass it up you are really missing something special. I've never played a game like this and I've played damn near everything Tim Schaefer has put out.[/quote]
After going through that general's mind (after the minefield?) I pretty much gave up. Platforming was nothing compared to jak, etc. I just felt dissappointed.

UPDATE: Another problem w/ this game: 1 save file takes up 1,500 kb on the memory card (which is outrageously enormous for ps2 games)

Hmmm so you're comparing a game that most people think as classic to a game that completely rips off Zelda's mechanics and whose creators are total tools. Yeah they can program worth shit but they're idiots like John Carmack.
I'd like to see Naughty Dog for once make a creative game worth a shit, one almost wholly original. I mean they once ripped on Oddworld Inhabitants, well at least Oddworld's characters were different.

I got this at the TRU 10$ sale back in the winter, after a friend told me I would regret it if I didn't. I got it for the Ps2 and didn't get into it too much. If I had it for the Xbox I'd probably play it through...I don't know why.

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']I can't believe I spent even $10 on this game. Everywhere had glowing reviews, and when it dropped to $10 on amazon I thought I was obligated to buy it. Not only is the gameplay repetitive and boring, the framerate on the ps2 version was horrible. It was the first time I noticed my ps2 chugging EVER. On top of that, I didn't even find the story that good or the dialoge humorous. I don't know if it's because I'm coming from playing RE4 and MGS3 but this game was horrible in every way. Just thought I'd give a heads up to those who were thinkin about pickin this up for the ps2.[/QUOTE]

Your opinion is wrong.

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']After going through that general's mind (after the minefield?) I pretty much gave up. Platforming was nothing compared to jak, etc. I just felt dissappointed.

UPDATE: Another problem w/ this game: 1 save file takes up 1,500 kb on the memory card (which is outrageously enormous for ps2 games)[/quote]

The tutorial level? Ummm...

This game is the only game I've actually fallen asleep while playing, with the controller still in my hands. Hell I've never even fallen asleep during a Metal Gear Solid cutscene and those things can go for hours practically.

something must be fucked with the ps2 version or the ps2 itself...the xbox version rocked...it rocked even more with a $4.98 PM at walmart.

this game has so much cool shit in it. how far did all yo haters get?

[quote name='gaelan']something must be fucked with the ps2 version or the ps2 itself...the xbox version rocked...it rocked even more with a $4.98 PM at walmart.

this game has so much cool shit in it. how far did all yo haters get?[/QUOTE]

About 45 minutes, on the XBox version. My problem with it was nothing from the technical side of things. It mainly had to do with the fact that it just felt generic as hell.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']About 45 minutes, on the XBox version. My problem with it was nothing from the technical side of things. It mainly had to do with the fact that it just felt generic as hell.[/quote]

while i agree that the psychic summer camp platformer genre is saturated and and worn out, i still found it enjoyable. tim schaffer is still a favorite of mine in video games...regardless of the generic-ness

It had a mediocre port.. I say give the Xbox version a shot. It was developed with the Xbox system specs in mind. I've played Schafer games for years.. I loved Psychonauts, although it isn't as strong as his previous titles (this is kind of a deviation in genres, so that's just personal preference).

However, the game DOES innovate. Not only is it a well scripted game, the humor is actually good. Few games can claim that (Earthworm Jim, maybe Lost Vikings, other Schafer games, etc.) Also, the voice acting is great. Part of the reason is that it's American developed.

Platformers, for the most part, have been steadily losing interest in the older game market (which is dominated mainly by FPS's, Sports, or GTA's or something). However, Psychonauts takes the platforming formula and makes it more accessible to all audiences. Funny thing is.. it isn't through graphics, special effects, frame rates, or gimmicks.. it's through the plot, characters, and dialogue.

Platformers may seem "childish".. but with the exception of Nintendo, few platformers have been of a caliber that made them accessible and enjoyed by such a broad range of audiences.

Honestly the game felt like work to me. I don't really enjoy hunting for transparent neon symbols so I can increase my rank. For that you can do a scavenger hunt. I get the humor and the quirkiness, admittedly most games are not written so well but the mechanics of the game were not that exciting to me. Jumping and...walking, and jumping and collecting things.

[quote name='Sarang01']Hmmm so you're comparing a game that most people think as classic to a game that completely rips off Zelda's mechanics and whose creators are total tools. Yeah they can program worth shit but they're idiots like John Carmack.
I'd like to see Naughty Dog for once make a creative game worth a shit, one almost wholly original. I mean they once ripped on Oddworld Inhabitants, well at least Oddworld's characters were different.[/QUOTE]

I hate to pick on you (this is because I got a FTW) but by that logic, everything is a ripoff, non-creative gyp based on the original Super Mario Bros. So fck everything else while we're at it.

.. And how is Jak like Zelda?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']This game is the only game I've actually fallen asleep while playing, with the controller still in my hands. Hell I've never even fallen asleep during a Metal Gear Solid cutscene and those things can go for hours practically.[/quote]

I've fallen asleep playing Diablo 2 and Final Fantasy 8. However, those were at like 9am after playing for about 18 hours. :oops:

The game REALLY shines once you get to the Lungfish level and beyond. I loved the game, and I played it on the Ps2 and dind't notice too man issues outside of the insane amount of space it takes on your memory card.

Poor Tim knew it wasn't going to do very well, I believe he was even quoted as saying :"The design and story came up during a time when platformers were still popular. By the time we finished, they were pretty much dead."

I

You mean creative level designs and some humor doesn't make up for the "collect everything possible" style of gameplay, and the basic platforming elements?

It's amazing how a little creativity, some humor, and a developer with a cult following can mask some pretty mediocre gameplay.

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']After going through that general's mind (after the minefield?) I pretty much gave up. Platforming was nothing compared to jak, etc. I just felt dissappointed.

UPDATE: Another problem w/ this game: 1 save file takes up 1,500 kb on the memory card (which is outrageously enormous for ps2 games)[/QUOTE]

You might want to note, you know, in fairness, that you got as far as the tutorial level.

[quote name='Sanosuke Sagara']UPDATE: Another problem w/ this game: 1 save file takes up 1,500 kb on the memory card (which is outrageously enormous for ps2 games)[/quote]
That's not bad compared to WWF Smackdown: Just Bring It, that takes up half a memory card.

As for the this game, I thought it was pretty good, but I can see why people didn't buy it. It was pretty generic at the beginning.

Just because the beginning isn't too entertaining, that doesn't mean the rest of that game will be boring. Just stick with it. Like Reality's Fringe said, it gets better in Lungfishopolis.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']You mean creative level designs and some humor doesn't make up for the "collect everything possible" style of gameplay, and the basic platforming elements?

It's amazing how a little creativity, some humor, and a developer with a cult following can mask some pretty mediocre gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the EA bitch?

Case closed...

Psychonauts has great humor. Second funniest game I've play all year (with Timesplitters Future Perfect being the funniest).

How can you not like "I work for the road crew" or I'm a grieving widow"? Plus, the Godzilla level was a ton of fun.

Really the only thing I didn't like was that sometimes I wasn't sure where to go and had to look it up online (but it only happened 3 or 4 times) and the last level is much harder then the rest of the game. Both of those complaints are really minor, and I would pay full price for a sequel.

Man, I really love this game but I'm playing the Xbox version. This game has a great art style and I felt like I wanted to keep on playing.

All platformers feature some pretty generic gameplay. That's why they're in the platformer genre. It's pretty much a given that you're going to have to run, jump, and collect everything in sight. It's also a given that there will be a little backtracking to get items that were previously unaccessable. This game even gives you a nice little "Underground Railroad" to move easily from area to area. If you need to get out of someone's mind, just pop a little smelling salts and you're out. Need a tip or need to trade in some psi cards? Pull out your bacon and Kruller comes to you. I thought this game fixed everything bad about platformers and put a nice new coat of polish on it. If you go into a platformer pissed off about collecting things, you need to reevaluate why you even put the game into your console. Also, if you're going to badmouth a game, at least try to play the first real level and not just the tutorial. Don't believe the haters, give this game a shot.

bread's done
Back