Punkbuster and what to do?

wckddudeman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
EDITED EDITED EDITED

PunkBuster EULA

"Licensee further acknowledges and accepts that PunkBuster software may be considered invasive. Licensee understands that PunkBuster software inspects and reports information about the computer on which it is installed to other connected computers and Licensee agrees to allow PunkBuster software to inspect and report such information about the computer on which Licensee installs PunkBuster software. Licensee understands and agrees that the information that may be inspected and reported by PunkBuster software includes, but is not limited to, devices and any files residing on the hard- drive and in the memory of the computer on which PunkBuster software is installed. Further, Licensee consents to allow PunkBuster software to transfer actual screenshots taken of Licensee’s computer during the operation of PunkBuster software for possible publication. Licensee understands that the purpose and goal of PunkBuster is to ensure a cheat-free environment for all participants in online games. Licensee agrees that the invasive nature of PunkBuster software is necessary to meet this purpose and goal. Licensee agrees that any harm or lack of privacy resulting from the installation and use of PunkBuster software is not as valuable to Licensee as the potential ability to play interactive online games with the benefits afforded by using PunkBuster software.

-----------
REASON FOR EDITING:
Hmm well this post was mostly due to my initial shock.
I do hope that this whole mess is cleared up and they clarify exactly what theyre doing within someones system. I may eventually go back if they do, but I feel that anticheat measures have been done better and with less intrusive means*cough* Valve *cough*.

Thanks everyone for input(Im currently redownloading my copy of CS:S).

Punkbuster isnt scanning your computer for your secret recipes and your collection of nudie pics and movies. It scans to make sure your cvars arnt out of range (exploits, hacks), and programs that run bots. Personally, I think you're more likely sending sentive info to ea running the shit they put out than by playing on a punkbuster server.

I remember in the original CoD, punkbuster didn't even scan your computer. It just checked for running exploits. And you can get cross-platform punkbuster bans, IE: You can be banned from CoD and BF2142 in one offense.

bread's done
Back