Purchasing a Gas Grill, Any suggestion

ryanbph

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I am buying a home at the end of the month, and wanted to get a gas grill...Any of you CAG that have any recomendations of a grill please let me know

Budget is preferably under $600...i would like a gas grill, side burner is optional...not a portable one, as it is going to go on the back deck and not move

I actually build gas grills among other things for Home Depot, Target, Lowes etc. Lowes is having a sale on one this weekend, pretty basic, but nice Char Broil, comes with tank, built pretty well, for $99.99 (i think). Almost every home improvment center and stores like Walmart/target are having sales this weekend on them.

Def. look for one that comes with a free tank and accessories. I got a kenmoore from sears for $150 that was pretty suite.

I don't suppose there's any chance of you getting charcol? If you like to cook, there's so much more flexiblility in what you can do with them, not to mention the ability to throw in some wood hunks for great smokiness. Anyway, if you're hell bent on gas, I second the weber reccomendation and would like to add that you should consider buying an optional rotisserie for it.

The rotisierre thing is an option I have thought about...My parents and my younger brother have a webber, and they swear by it, my girlfriend thinks they are overpriced, so my question to you webber supporters, why webber over the other grills? I have been looking at the webbers and kennmore grills

[quote name='bob_the_goon']I don't suppose there's any chance of you getting charcol? If you like to cook, there's so much more flexiblility in what you can do with them, not to mention the ability to throw in some wood hunks for great smokiness. Anyway, if you're hell bent on gas, I second the weber reccomendation and would like to add that you should consider buying an optional rotisserie for it.[/quote]
i agree

Best option is Weber...most even heating, hassle free quick start, long lasting solid parts, rust proof.... the list goes on and on. i bought one for 500... best purchase i made this summer. don't cheap out on this - you'll be sorry.

You should consider a charcoal grill. Anyone who grills regularly knows the charcoal grills produce better tasting everything. The downside is they can be on the messy side with the ash, and you don't have "instant" heat as you do with gas.

If you consider this route, a fantastic entry level charcoal grill is the classic Weber Kettle. It runs between $90 and $130 depending on the finish you choose.

My father-in-law has always cooked with gas. A couple of years ago, we bought him a Weber Kettle and he loves it. He grills and smokes with it and has become a great grillmaster. His smoked Turkey is outta this world. Oh, but he keeps his gas grill for keeping food warm or cooking foil wrapped cob corn and potatoes.

Just a suggestion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

[quote name='VSquad']Best option is Weber...most even heating, hassle free quick start, long lasting solid parts, rust proof.... the list goes on and on. i bought one for 500... best purchase i made this summer. don't cheap out on this - you'll be sorry.[/quote]

Right on. A shape reflects heat so it has some oven like qualities of you want to do big cuts of meet or whole birds. I can't say enough good things about rotisseries. Char Broil makes ones that fit any grill for half the price of the Weber or Kenmore brands. Mine is rated for 20 pounds of meat. I do beef roasts, ducks, chickens, and ribs on it mostly.

[quote name='bob_the_goon']I don't suppose there's any chance of you getting charcol? If you like to cook, there's so much more flexiblility in what you can do with them, not to mention the ability to throw in some wood hunks for great smokiness. Anyway, if you're hell bent on gas, I second the weber reccomendation and would like to add that you should consider buying an optional rotisserie for it.[/quote]

I agree as well with bob. If you really like to cook on the grill then you need to go charcol.

If you want to grill frequently, charcoal becomes a big hassle. With gas, you can just push a button, close the lid and you're ready to go with a hot grill in minutes, with no messy ash cleanup. It's also easy to get carcinogenic soot on your food if you don't know what you're doing with charcoal. I'd have to recommend a Weber if you have that much to spend, for the build quality alone. I've had some other, cheaper gas grills that lasted only a couple of years before the starter wore out, or the bottom started to rust (even with a cover). But I've had my Weber for four years now, and it still lights every time on the first or second try. If you want extra smoke flavor in your food, get one with a chamber to hold your wood, which will smoke off as you grill. And if you want to do large cuts of meat and/or long smoking cuts like brisket and ribs, get a large enough grill so you can smoke them with indirect heat (move your rocks to one side of the grill, and put the meat on the cooler side). Also, make sure you get one with a thermometer, which they all pretty much come with. Very important. I know all the backyard gourmands out there will disagree with me, but I just don't think the extra hassle that comes with charcoal is worth it; if you use a gas grill intelligently, you can get pretty much the same results without the ashy mess.

Weber for sure. But may I suggest the purchase of a charcoal smoker in addition. You can pick one up for roughly 50-75 bucks, maybe less on sale.

I've been a long time cookout kinda a guy. About 4 years ago I purchased a charcaol smoker. Since then my gas grill has seen very little use. The things you can do with a smoker are unbelievable and smoked meats, fish and poultry by far are much tastier than plain grilled grub.

Cooking times are much slower and monitoring your cooking heat temperature can be a hassel at first. The pairing of woods with different foods is also a personell preference which may take some trial and error before perfecting. Bottom line, smoking food is an acquired skill that is best learned by trial and error. After the learning curve your palette will thank you.

Tequila and lime Tuna steaks smoked with hickory wood = AWESOME

Cherry Brandy glazed baby back ribs smoked with cherry wood = DOUBLE AWESOME

If I were you I would seriously consider getting one

I disagree - If you use a smoker box *properly* with a gas grill, you can get some wonderful flavor. Also, for those that say a charcoal grill has a more even heat - this can also be accomplished by using ceramic bricquettes.

I have an Advantis Fiesta - I love it and use it about every other day. If I had a charcoal grill, I would not use it nearly as much because I'd have to buy charcoal all the time, empty it out, wait for the coals to get hot... just too much work if I want to grill up some brats for dinner.

The things I looked for when selecting my grill was price (there's not a whole lot of difference between a $200 grill and a $600 grill), grilling space (I have three racks at different elevations) and a second burner. I typically don't need to the side burner, but it came in handy once this year when we lost power. I was able to use it just like a stove top.

I bought a weber 2 years ago, $399 and have been very happy. I used to charcoal all the time (when I was in college and grad school and had the time to 'play') but have really enjoyed the Weber. VERY even heat, EXTREMELY solid construction, the smoker pack is a great addition adding the opportunity for some more flavors, easy cleanup, the Flavorizer Bars (which I thought sounded pretty lame) actually work (The patented design vaporizes juices and fats, creating smoke that imparts a delectable barbecue flavor.) I grill at my folks alot on their cheap gas grill and I hate it! Go with the Weber you won't be disappointed.

I'll branch out and suggest something no one has mentioned: Holland Grill

My parents have had one for around five years now, and they use it pretty often. It cooks delicately, leaving food very moist even if you leave it on the grill too long. It also never flares up, so you never have to worry about watching it. There's a lengthy list of customer testimonials on their page, including this one:

So, a Holland grill can't do a steak, eh? For some people maybe not, but for some Iowa Barbecue Society judges it can. At this weekend's four day show at the Oktemberfest in Marshalltown, IA., my dealer, Pentz Appliance., and I entered the cookoff contest on Sunday the 29th. Grilling two 3/4" thick Ribeyes on the back corner of a Heritage [one of their grill models], Seasoned with only Carolina Seasoning, we took first in beef. Won $100.00!

I don't really know a lot about grills, so I can't explain exactly what makes Holland Grills great. All I know is that the food that comes off of them is always tender and moist, and tastes great. They're really good grills, though, like a Weber, they're not that cheap. I just thought I'd give you an alternative suggestion.

Holland grills are good to, basically it seems that in a gas grill you get what you pay for. Most grills that i've used that are $250 + are very good grills, everything underthat very hit and miss to down right crappy.

bread's done
Back