Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

I meant to hire a pikachu character for only like.. 1-2 days as an advertising stint, not to have it there constantly, that would just annoy everyone. It would draw lots of families with money to spend on games..

Although there was this one game store in a mall that had a large pikachu figurine right in front of it, unfortunately being in the same mall as an ebgames and their above-ebgames prices killed the store.

EbStop's prices are coporate, so you don't have to worry about them changing a price at a close by store just because you have recently opened up shop in the area, they have chain-universal prices is what I am saying. At least I think thats how it goes.

But stores like walmart will lower their prices and raise their prices based on store location, competition and other factors so that might be a concern.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Also we are looking for a company name, not the name of the store, but the name for our company. We have had a couple ideas here and there... but here are a couple of things we want...

- Gaming related
- Can't be crude
- Bank would have to look at it

So, if you can shoot off some ideas that would be great. If we happen to use your idea and this store gets up and running, i'll send you a free game :D[/QUOTE]

Why not just name it your user name?

"Bing Bang Boom: Video Games and More", the "Bing Bang Boom" part can have comic book starbursts around the words....and the Video Games and More can be in a classy, solid font underneath..

Maybe something like "Gamepad" (as in, the pad people go to for games)
Or, if you're looking to appeal to the community like people have suggested, something along the lines of an inside joke, like "Press Start." It tells you what kind of merchandise you're selling, but at the same time it's not so goofy that people balk at it.

BTW, that really is a slick-looking store, man. Kudos.

[quote name='Josef']Location = Delaware? You already have my business and you don't have to do anything ;)
[/QUOTE]

Heh, Delaware really is a tiny state if you don't even have to ask where exactly the store is!

Good luck with your store, dude - I always like to see alternatives to EBStop, CC, and BB.

(Also, I like the name suggestion Press Start).

[quote name='Skexis']Maybe something like "Gamepad" (as in, the pad people go to for games)
Or, if you're looking to appeal to the community like people have suggested, something along the lines of an inside joke, like "Press Start." It tells you what kind of merchandise you're selling, but at the same time it's not so goofy that people balk at it.
[/QUOTE]

All the customers will just see the name of teh chain: Play N Trade. Only the bank will see the name of his actual company (unless I'm mistaken).

[quote name='Backlash']All the customers will just see the name of teh chain: Play N Trade. Only the bank will see the name of his actual company (unless I'm mistaken).[/QUOTE]

Yeah you are right, this is just for like say the managing company for me and my brother. We might get business cards or something. It is just something stupid. But we would like something cool and game related. One name I had was like "Final Boss Inc." ala game bosses.

Here is the pricing I would use for used games

$49.99 new
$39.99 used

$39.99 new
$32.99 used

$29.99 new
$23.99 used

$19.99 new
$13.99 used
-----------
Speaking about pricing, have you thought about how you would handle that? What about trade in prices? Would you give the same amount for credit as cash or would you do only cash or credit only?

About the giving more for game's that are "complete". Working at GS about 50% of the games we get traded in are disc only because kids don't take care of stuff. So giving less would hurt that part of business. You also wouldn't want to take too many of the same game, I doubt you would want to give more than $2 for GTA III.

I'm all in for someone trying to compete with Devilstop. Good Luck with the business hopefully it turns out well for you.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']Here is the pricing I would use for used games

$49.99 new
$39.99 used

$39.99 new
$32.99 used

$29.99 new
$23.99 used

$19.99 new
$13.99 used
-----------
Speaking about pricing, have you thought about how you would handle that? What about trade in prices? Would you give the same amount for credit as cash or would you do only cash or credit only?

About the giving more for game's that are "complete". Working at GS about 50% of the games we get traded in are disc only because kids don't take care of stuff. So giving less would hurt that part of business. You also wouldn't want to take too many of the same game, I doubt you would want to give more than $2 for GTA III.

I'm all in for someone trying to compete with Devilstop. Good Luck with the business hopefully it turns out well for you.[/QUOTE]

I don't exactly know how pricing will work but typically it will be better than Gamestop.

I will only do credit currently. This cuts down on stolen goods and also means that dollars get recycled back into the store.

The complete games will get more value then just disc. The POS system allows us to print a cover of the game which is nice. No booklet but at least it is something.

Pricing can't be too low though, mainly because well, I have to make money. If it is cheaper than Gamestop and the other guys, that should be good enough. We will offer a better all around experience and that should count for something.

Another thing is that pricing is hard mainly because typically there is a MSRP on them. Thats is set by the publishers and they HATE used game stores. Mainly because they get no profit from people buying used games. It is one reason why there is the threat of direct downloads and upgrades down the road. They make a ton of profit from Xbox Live maps and such, because honestly they could have added into the game a while ago. People are not really going back and remaking levels, most of the time they decide what content will be for download only.

Yeah, don't know yet about the name. Please give me your suggestions. The name will be more for a managing group not a store name. Thanks for your interest :D

[quote name='SaraAB']I was thinking another thing you could do is allow employees to give trade in values over the phone.[/QUOTE]
My GameStop gives trade-in values over the phone.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Also we are looking for a company name, not the name of the store, but the name for our company. We have had a couple ideas here and there... but here are a couple of things we want...

- Gaming related
- Can't be crude
- Bank would have to look at it

So, if you can shoot off some ideas that would be great. If we happen to use your idea and this store gets up and running, i'll send you a free game :D[/QUOTE]
How about BigBangBoom Ltd?

[quote name='Backlash']All the customers will just see the name of teh chain: Play N Trade. Only the bank will see the name of his actual company (unless I'm mistaken).[/QUOTE]
Yeah. If the name is "Play 'N Trade" the company is destined to fail.

History is paved with the bones of many an "'N" business venture.

I already brought it up to my brother... he thinks Bingbangboom is a stupid screen name lol.

I don't know much about N companies, but I doubt it is the title that makes them fail.

For just your buisiness name Take you last name and put video games after it.

Ex. "Ryles video games inc."

Then think up a catchy store name.

[quote name='Backlash'](Also, I like the name suggestion Press Start).[/quote] I would definatly visit a store if it had that name.:D

Sounds catchy, kinda like GameCrazy...

Guys, it is a franchise so the store name is already set to "Play N Trade". This is just like a legal name thingie for us to be protected under. I actually think Press Start is taken. I might be able to get like "Press Start Inc."

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't know much about N companies, but I doubt it is the title that makes them fail.[/QUOTE]
:lol: I was just joking about that.

Hey guys, I need some help with a couple of questions about the compeitors...

There are three different store types...

1. Dedicated Video Game Stores: Gamestop, EB Games
2. Big Box Stores: Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Target
3. Online Sites: Amazon.com

Here are the things that I need answered and will help me on my business plan. Please be fair and complete with your answers.

- What they do well?
- What don't they do well?
- How do they present themselves? Basically what are they representing... great service, low prices, speciality, etc.

Thank you

Dedicated video game stores : they can vary a lot between locations, and are often dependent upon the employees that work at them. For example we have a great ebgames where I live with GREAT employees who will bend over backwards for their customers, however others will report radically different experiences, most will report bad experiences, as an EbStop store with good employees seems to be a rarity nowadays. Biggest complaint about Ebstop is that they sell used games as new and the "open box" copies of games, try to avoid this as possible, as its pissing off a lot of customers (including myself). If a game is new, it should be sold as a factory-sealed (non store re-shrinkwrapped) shrinkwrapped copy no exceptions. Ebstop is also notorious for raising the prices of games by 5$ per title over MSRP, especially on Nintendo DS games. We do not like to pay 34.99 for a DS game that has been opened, for whatever reason, when the store next door has factory sealed copies that we know have never been played. There has even been a lawsuit for EbStop selling used products as new, and to my knowledge they still do it. Another thing they do wrong is condition of used merchandise, everything is scratched to the pits, and the merchandise quality seems to be decreasing daily in those stores. I could go on and on about what gamestop does wrong, but most of it has already been covered in this thread. What they do right... hmm there isn't too much, maybe carry games that other retail stores do not, but with the internet, if we want obscure games, most just order online these days, its just easier and more convenient, plus Ebstops selection of games seems to be decreasing every day and getting just as bad as normal retail stores, at least where I live. Oh they give out bonus items that other stores don't, thats a major plus. Employees here are just as pushy to sell extra's and warranties if not worse than big box retail stores.

Big box stores: Impersonal service, often games are locked up behind a glass case and its difficult to find an employee around to open it up and get the games out (this varies by store though, at sears there is always an employee around, but at kmart hunting down an employee might take you about 20 min). Then the employee doesn't even know which key opens the case and sometimes the locks break and then don't open for weeks... so the games are literately locked up and you cannot get to them at all no matter what you do. They always have factory sealed brand new copies of games that you know have never been played though. Toys R us has the best business model where they put games in plastic cases to prevent theft but allows you to look at the box while purchasing, and you can just go and pick your game then head to the register with out any hassle, circuit city also does this and its the best way to go, I like it the best. Usually employees are not knowledgeable about games, but this can vary by store. Sometimes retail stores inflate the prices of games too, but that rarely happens with the exception of EbStop. The best thing retail stores do is clearance games when they aren't selling, which leaves many cheap games for us to snag! Retail big box stores can be very pushy when it comes to purchasing warranties and extras with an item so if you don't want to be sold a 100$ set of A/V cables with your game system, or a 30$ one year warranty when your Nintendo system already comes with a year warranty from Nintendo, you might want to head to an online store to avoid the hassle. Long lines at the register, not enough cashiers, could take a long time to get out of the store due to register employees being forced to push 30 different extras on you for a single purchase of a video game, and if there are long lines this makes the experience even worse.

Just remember with big box stores and dedicated game stores they often hire people that just know how to sell items, and may not know anything about the product in question other than what accessories and extras to sell you with the item. Retail is becoming more and more like the job of a used car salesman or a car salesman nowadays, the more stuff they push on you, and the more you buy, the better for them, regardless if its an item you need or not, a useless warranty, or a magazine subscription. They just want to sell you as much stuff as possible since it makes more profit for the company.

Online stores - what they do right, pretty much everything. Online stores have the lowest prices out of everyone, and you can often save money off the retail price by shopping online, which is why I shop online a lot. Also no tax usually which is a major plus since I live in NY state and I am docked 8.75% every time I make a purchase, and with large video game purchases that can add up fast. Shopping experience is quick and easy but returns should you need to make one could be a hassle depending on where you order. Fortunately Amazon makes the return process really easy. Biggest selection of products available anywhere, most of the time I look online to find things that the retail stores in my area just do not offer, as retail big box stores only offer a very limited selection of games, which does not usually cater to the tastes of an adult gamer (they usually stock 30 copies of kid game x but fail to stock an Atlus title for example). I am a big advocate of online shopping (especially for small electronic items such as video games) as it saves the consumer a lot of money in the end. I would also say impersonal service too as your not dealing with any humans, a lot of online companies hide their phone number and contact information too so they can be hard to get ahold of should you have a problem with your order. Fortunately information about online stores is usually readily available so you can make a decision about which stores to use and which to avoid. Lack of product information at most online stores as well, this isn't a problem if you know what your buying but for people who have never bought a video game before they may prefer a B&M store with employees.

Anything I'd tell you would be a terrible fiscal decision to implement. There's really not much that would pull me from the big box stores (BB, CC, etc) that'd leave your probably slim margins in tact, but that's just me.

[quote name='nonggame']Always have a nice looking girl as a cashier. Whenever a hot cashier ask me do I need help or want anything I always have to buy something even I just want to browse on used or new game lol ^___^;[/QUOTE]

Ok I only read up to the 2nd page. Besides the obvious "don't do what GS/EB does", I have to agree on this one. Hire a girl that is good looking and also knows games as a cashier or just a store clerk. You and your employees should also treat customers with more than just 'worker-customer' relation. I'm not saying you should make friend with every customer that walks in, but make them feel like some place where they want to be there playing kiosks all day and chat with your employees about games. Some interaction is good, but don't over do it. And this is where the good looking female store clerk comes in ^_^

You should also make sure your store attracts all kinds of customers: moms, grandparents, collectors, kids, casual gamers, hardcore gamers... etc. I don't have any clue on how to accomplish that, but I suppose someone with business or marketing experience will know. Do some local advertisings to gain more attention from households that might not know the store's presence. Don't just carry games & accessories only, have other stuff like plush, posters, keychains, toys, video game related collectables, etc. I guess if I have a store, I would make it like an American B&M Play-Asia.

I would go to your store weekly if those suggestions come true.

This is my favorite thread ever. I totally wish I had the chance to show EB how to do it right.

I felt guilty going in a few weeks ago and using the extra 50% trade-in coupon. Guilty.

Thanks CAG, you've upped my standards!

EB to me seems like a sex store.
Everyone feels kinda dirty going in.
They KNOW the merchandise has been around the block.

I myself do like to be able to see in the store.

I'm a taller guy and I HATE having to lay on the ground to see that indeed they do have the old Warioware in, and indeed its still $24.99 bare.

I was tempted to buy Devil May Cry 3 from them. I decided against it because it was essentially disc only for $17.99. Terrible, just terrible.

All of those and every stinkin time I go in, for whatever reason, they try to force me into getting the stupid magazine they offer which I wouldn't read. I used to like EB when they had the $5.00 discount card and no hassles. Now its just a madhouse with crack dealers everywhere and hookers trying to make a buck or two. The store I used to love has turned into a CRACKHOUSE OF LIES!
Seriously I love classic PC Games. I found System Shock 2 in said EB a long, long time ago for $7.99 used. It was PERFECT. Everything there, in pristine condition. I miss those times. I'm listening to Zelda music and trying to remember life back then.
Good luck man, i'd open up a store if I had money and brains to make it work!

Well, the one location I was looking at is apperently too big and too much money, so right now I just have to get some figures for my business plan. The money aspect is really the most important thing. If someone could possibly have figures of like the percentage of people that buy videogames and that stuff. I mean of the general public and that kinda thing, not the households or women figures. Can't seem to find that.

Something I would find attractive in your store? Cheap prices, friendly reps, not being hounded by reps but gives good advice when I need it, (Make sure you higher the right people), Having tournaments (always wanted to go to them as a kid but never new where they where etc..) Also I love a good store layout, things organised and such. Also one final thing make sure that I the customer want to come back, that I the customer would feel loyality to your store.

Great thread. I just opened an online gaming store over 2 months ago with about a year of research. So if there's any advice I can give you in general about business, it's research, research, research. Since you're going the B&M route, I suggest visiting the possible locations of your store. Check out the foot traffic and the people that shop around there. You want to make sure you get enough eyes on your store so they'll remember you the next time they need a game.

Also, to differntiate from your competitors, try to offer things they don't. Whether it's imports, niche games, or clothing, it'll definitely give you an edge. For example, my site goes the extra mile to give visitors extensive information about the games -- cutting out the need to research. You might want to consider something that'll give you an edge. Price is not always important (mostly good ole' friendly quality service), but a lot of gamers want to save money, so pricing a little below the competition may help if you can afford to do so.

Put money into marketing as well. It's all about getting your name out there. Anyway, hope this info. helped =]

Cool, what is your site?

BTW a little update, I had our numbers wrong. So I am basing my plan on a larger location than most stores. Would be 1,975 sq/ft where most gamestops might be around 1500 sq ft or smaller. So this will give more breathing room. If anyone does work or has worked a gamestop, they might have a better understanding.

My plan is to also get a 92" Projection Screen for tournament play and other things. One thing, someome might know more, I would like to play videogame music in the store, but there might be royalty fees. Does anyone know about this?

[quote name='bingbangboom']Cool, what is your site?

BTW a little update, I had our numbers wrong. So I am basing my plan on a larger location than most stores. Would be 1,975 sq/ft where most gamestops might be around 1500 sq ft or smaller. So this will give more breathing room. If anyone does work or has worked a gamestop, they might have a better understanding.

My plan is to also get a 92" Projection Screen for tournament play and other things. One thing, someome might know more, I would like to play videogame music in the store, but there might be royalty fees. Does anyone know about this?[/QUOTE]

You're talk about space just brought to mind another reason I hate the eb stores. They are all clustered and jam packed. Having everything organized and kept orderly would really improve the overall look and cleanliness of your store. That is one of the reasons I prefer shopping at big chain stores such as wal-mart and Target. I like the idea of everything being kept nicely displayed in glass cases. I don't know what you have thought on as far as displaying your product, but I think glass cases, while may be a little expensive are a better way to go. If someone wants a game they come and ask, and the employee can come unlock the case and give them the game.

Nothing I really hate more than going to an eb and waiting in line for 10 minutes to ask if they have a game in stock just to tell me no. When displayed in cases all the product you got it makes it much easier for the customer to see what is in stock and available.

Yeah, well as you can see from the pictures it is similar to that of Gamestop but well better I think. And I personally don't like that whole case thing because most the time, you can't find someone to get you the game. But then again, that is me. I have dealt with both issues. I know stores like Circuit City now put high dollar games in a case and the rest on the floor. They can really afford to do that, I can't Security cases cost a ton and there are ways around it.

I have been trying to hunt down the NPD data for the past year... i figured they might have a month to month system or a link showing each month.

Play only game music in the store. If the customer correctly identifies the game it's from, they get 10% off their purchase for that day. One discount per song though, so it'd be the first customer to correctly guess it. The rest would have to wait until the next song.

That's an idea i've wanted to use for my own store, if it ever happens.

I can supply game music if you want.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Yeah, well as you can see from the pictures it is similar to that of Gamestop but well better I think. And I personally don't like that whole case thing because most the time, you can't find someone to get you the game. But then again, that is me. I have dealt with both issues. I know stores like Circuit City now put high dollar games in a case and the rest on the floor. They can really afford to do that, I can't Security cases cost a ton and there are ways around it.

I have been trying to hunt down the NPD data for the past year... i figured they might have a month to month system or a link showing each month.[/QUOTE]

you could hire someone that basically just works the floor and gets the games out of the cases and answers any questions customers have. Someone to handle most the customer service.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Cool, what is your site?

My plan is to also get a 92" Projection Screen for tournament play and other things. One thing, someome might know more, I would like to play videogame music in the store, but there might be royalty fees. Does anyone know about this?[/quote]

I run Fixelated.com, I took a different route with an online gaming shop and chose to focus on Next Gen platforms with an equal focus on niche and mainstream. Anyhow, it sounds like you're pretty deep into the planning stages. That 92" screen sounds hot. I'm sure it'll get lots of attention. You should hold Halo tournaments on that thing :D. Sounds like free publicity to me. Expect a lot of word of mouth if that becomes a reality.http://www.fixelated.com

[quote name='Scorch']Play only game music in the store. If the customer correctly identifies the game it's from, they get 10% off their purchase for that day. One discount per song though, so it'd be the first customer to correctly guess it. The rest would have to wait until the next song.

That's an idea i've wanted to use for my own store, if it ever happens.

I can supply game music if you want.[/quote]

Speaking of game music, there are a ton of 8-bit artists out there right now. Check myspace especially. Some really innovative game music coming out these days. What kind of music do you play Scorch?

[quote name='Fixelated']Speaking of game music, there are a ton of 8-bit artists out there right now. Check myspace especially. Some really innovative game music coming out these days. What kind of music do you play Scorch?[/quote]
I meant actual music from the games. As in.. the soundtrack to the games.

Well while looking into a music system they asked me to look into royalties. Mainly because you don't want to play music and then get sued, no matter who it is. So, that is part of it. I was looking into just getting a Ipod Nano, make a play list and play stuff through that. Sounds simple, but there are fees and such.

I kinda have a "company" name in mind but still could use help. "EMPIRE" is kinda something that just sounds cool to me. Of course it would have been "Evil Empire" but I doubt that. Another idea was "NOT evil empire" but that sounds even more fishy. Was thinking like "Empire of Gaming" or something. Sounds kinda epic.

Quick update: I found more information about playing music in a store. Basically I would need the permission of the owners to do so. Otherwise it might be around $500 a year to be legal free. Now, I don't know where "gaming" music is with this considering it is really for music artist. So, if someone wanted to work on a little project and get a huge soundtrack together or something of artist that play music like that, that would be cool. Might need to be in the backburner for now though.

You can always try to get permission from independent artists. Could be a great way to save money. Check Myspace, there's tons of them.

My GameStop doesn't even play music.

You should ask 8-bit MySpace artists for permission, and then print the playlist and links to MySpace sites on a page of your store's website.

Yeah, you would be better off asking the 8-bit and other independent artists if you could play their music, they will likely supply the music for free since its free publicity for them, and an mp3 only takes a few min to download if not seconds nowadays, then you could put all the music on your ipod and play it that way.

You could just hire one employee to open the glass cases when someone needed something, not too hard, if that employee wasn't doing that then they could also be answering customer questions, helping customers etc. If your store is busy you might want to have a couple floor workers. They would just be general customer helpers and floor workers, they could get the items out of the glass cases too. Then you could have an employee that works behind the counter. You really need at least 2 employees per game store, having just one behind the counter (EBstop anyone?) does not work out too well.

Try not to have the register lull's that Ebstop has as well, some customers just want to pay and go (especially if they are only buying one game), so if there is a person trading in 50 games in front of them they would get annoyed and likely leave without buying anything. Maybe you could even set up a dedicated trade-in line and a purchasing line, this way things wouldn't get out of hand like they do at Ebstop, and it would be a lot more customer friendly.

I saw your post on the last page saying your location didn't work out.

I was in the Eden Square shopping Center (off Rt. 40 and Rt. 1) getting a few things at Super G, and while stopped at the exit, I saw a sign saying something about space for lease.

Might be a good place, I'm not sure. Lots of neighborhoods around. Though it is right across the street (well, across Route 40) from a gamestop, and Blockbuster is in the same shopping center (I dunno how big of a competition threat BlockBuster is for Gaming).

Edit*

Typed in Eden Square Shopping Center just to see what came up, found this:

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/ProfileSE.aspx?LID=14821745&linkcode=10850&sourcecode=1lww2t006a00001

Looks interesting.

Well, I honestly don't like that location just because the way it is built. The spots there are dead spots, not very good for retail but better for food and services.

My original spot is going to work out for my plan. Also the spot near governor's square are open, but they said there might be an issue with there already being a Gamestop there. But I love the Concord Pike location.

Still working on the plan, kinda fustrating because its hard to tell if I am doing it right or not. Lets all hope we are. At one point we were thinking about hiring someone to do it for us, but I guess we are stuck right now.

I went to a local "Funcoland" in the area and talked to a manager for a while. Told him my plans and got his business card. Seems to know what he is doing and has a history in the industry which is good. He was very frank about Gamestop Corp. on what they do they do well and what they don't do well. The fact that it is a big business corporation came up alot and the agnst against some stores. Focusing on customer service came up and it was one of the few times that I walked into a videogame store and was asked by both employees if I needed any help.

So, should be cool.

I always feel I need to bring up this video game & DVD store/rental place that I used to frequent in college. Best place EVER for games. I wish I still lived near them. They got me coming in all the time for their rental prices at a dollar a day for as long as you want. Eventually I started to buy all my games there and traded some in as well. Check out their party set up which they can rent out or host tournys. The dude who runs it is friendly and would likely answer any e-mail you sent him. I have always dreamed of approaching him for a franchise opportunity.

http://bigcitygaming.com/

I agree with mostly everything that other posters have said, but in addition, being well stocked and maintaining a well stocked look is very important in my opinion. I learned while working for Toys R Us, that full shelves give the shoppers a great impression of the store, as I'm sure you did as well. If the shelves are empty it gives the impression that your store can't maintain its product and will cause me to not only think lower of the store but possibly not go there again due to low product selection. A local mom and pop store is well lit, has cross gen games, and not cramped, but at the same time the shelves look empty. 3-4 inches between each game, while looking orderly and uncluttered makes it seem as if the store doesn't have anything at all. I think that there is a fine line between looking orderly and looking empty. You need to find that line and maintain it, keep the shelves packed with games but not too packed to the point it looks cluttered and cramped and I have to finger through mutliple games to look for something you may not even have. That said also keep a catalog of every game/product you have in the store but at the same time not losing it on the sales floor and helping the customer find it, not just say you have it. I once went to GameStop looking for Godzilla: Save The Earth, I asked the cashier, he looked it up and found that he had it, but lone and behold the case was in a huge cluttered mess, but didn't offer to help me find it. Me as the customer not wanting to look through a mess just to find a case and just moved on and took my business elseware.

Tip from all that: You can't sell a product if you can't find it.

Thanks for the comments, A couple of things about stocking of product. Problem with a smaller store is that you don't make money of new games really. With TRU, they buy in bulk so they get a discount to get that lil extra bit of money. They also have more customers and tend to order to hold on to the games for months and months. Also you don't want to order games that won't really sell and they will just sit there. So it is a fine balance.

Main reason you want to stock the games is to have that same customer to come back and trade it in so you can sell it to someone else. Basically it is like selling the same product twice.

[quote name='bingbangboom']
11. I don't know about accessories and such, especially on items that are already packaged with the box. Your talking power cables, av inputs. Controllers and memory card are a yes, but you won't see 30 power adapters.

[/QUOTE]

Carry some, not 30, just a handful. I work at Wal-mart, and believe me, on a weekly basis I have multiple people coming in wanting a power cable or AV cable because they lost it, or the dog chewed it up, or their baby peed on it or something. We don't have them (aside from some universal composite cables) so I always send them over to one of the game stores, since there is an EB on one side of mys tore, and a Gamestop on the other(Can you say "artificial competition"?). I dont even know if those places have them, but if they don't, you'll be one up on them.

Will they fly off the shelves? No. But if you have them, and people know you have them, they'll come to your store to get it, and who knows, they might walk out with something else.

bread's done
Back