Putting It Out There- Offline Better Than Online?

xmbri

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (67%)
There I said it- I have as of late enjoyed playing single player gaming in the comfort of my own abode. I am not sure if I am the only one that feels that way. I am getting more enjoyment than sitting on Xbox Live playing others. Online has gotten to be a frustrating ordeal for me, as offiline gives me a sense of accomplishment. Not bashing anyone who does online multiplayer and should still be an option. But for me and I am sure alot of others, they are tired of the Xbox Live or PSN nonsense, on the xbox yelling at others.
It has been rather peaceful in single player land as of late. And at the end of the day, when the Xbox 360 has to move on, I will look back and realize that online gaming is not the end all be all of gaming.

I have a pretty large group of people I play MW2 with and just about everytime I play its a full room of us (sometimes on both teams) and I have gotta say that it is some of the most fun I've spent gaming...although I do love some good single player as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never really taken to online play. Me and my buddy do some online co-op every now and then, and I really enjoy GTAIV's free-for-all mode (sans voice chat so I don't have to listen to the Artie Ziffs of the world), but aside from that I'm strictly single player. There's a few reasons why:

-I don't play enough to have any sort of skill in most competetive games
-I get too annoyed by people that drop out of games all willy-nilly, cheaters and all the smartasses in general
-I don't care for trophies/achievment farming, and it seems like that's what alot of co-op people sending invites are looking to do.
-When there IS a game that I want to play online (Far Cry 2 for example), the lobby is usually a ghost town
-The online experience can ruin the mood a bit IMO. I can't always get the same amount of immersment from an MMORPG when compared to a single player game. The farmer in Oblivion may only have four lines of dialogue, but he plays the part of a farmer in Cyrodil well enough, wheras the Warlock in World of Warcraft (aka Tim from Ohio) jumps around everywhere he goes, disco dances and wants to know if I watch anime or play Guild Wars etc etc.

Yeah, offline is better. but I still like playing strangers. It's a fresh challenge that used to only exist in the arcades. it's ruined a bit by the rudeness that comes with anonymity. I never had someone call me a $$$$er at an arcade.

It also gives friends opportunities to play together that they wouldn't have otherwise.

But everything's better when you can share the experience in the same location.Even the lame stuff about online is fun offline.

Cheating's better. forget hacks, action replays, and all that other shit. what about knocking the controller out of your buddies hand? or blocking his view of the screen? Or watching his controller so you know what play he's going to pick in a sports game.

And rage quitting? Nothing more satisfying than turning off the console right before you lose. Actually, there might be. Stopping someone you know is going to turn off that console from being able to do it is awesome to do, especially if there's something on the line, like a title in a wrestling video game. Of course, that satisfaction turns into rage when you block off his hands from reaching the power or reset button, and he decides to rip the cartridge out of the console instead.

Those issues aside, friends generally take ass-kickings better in person than they do online. they sort of have to, since you're sharing the gaming experience in the same location. It's not as if they can go and play another game if everybody wants to keep playing that game. They either play that game or don't play at all.

Off is clearly better, but thats just the type of gamer I am. I learned to do it for personal enjoyment and I find people spouting racist slurs and elementary school nonsense at me less than enjoyable. That being said Online does bring an expirience that you cant get in single player but more often than not, Id rather fly solo or multiplayer local.

I prefer offline gaming for a lot of the same reasons as above. Most of the people you meet online are surprisingly juvenile, with their taunting and quitting just before they lose. The single player stories are also more immersive which is why i play in the first place. But multiplayer can be a blast when it's with friends or done locally.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Yeah, offline is better. but I still like playing strangers. It's a fresh challenge that used to only exist in the arcades. it's ruined a bit by the rudeness that comes with anonymity. I never had someone call me a $$$$er at an arcade.[/QUOTE]

If you mean fucker, then I've been called that at an arcade.
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Me: Zangief and anyone
Opponent: Anyone.
I could play against people for hours nonstop. People get pissed when you combo into FAB and they're dead.

But on topic, I like both online and offline. I like offline for the stories that they tell. I like online for the competition and cooperation with friends.

I'm currently playing Red Dead. It has a good combination of both.

After picking up Modern Warfare 2 ten hours into launch day, and discovering people were already up to level 30 and killing me over and over and over and over again because i didnt know the maps yet, competitive multiplayer fps games are out for me for the most part. But like most people said already, co-op with friends is fun, and even some competitive games like FPS are fun with friends too.

It seems a lot of you are turned off by online play due to getting your ass kicked. If you actually play the game and put effort into it you will get better. I have a few friends who will only watch me play a game online rather than acually play it cause they are scared to get beat. The more you play the better you will get.

Do you make it through a whole single player campaign without dying? Then why even continue to play?

[quote name='Malik112099']It seems a lot of you are turned off by online play due to getting your ass kicked. If you actually play the game and put effort into it you will get better. I have a few friends who will only watch me play a game online rather than acually play it cause they are scared to get beat. The more you play the better you will get.

Do you make it through a whole single player campaign without dying? Then why even continue to play?[/QUOTE]

It is possible to be good at a game and still be annoyed by glitchers, hackers, etc, aka anyone trying to cheat and taint the system of which you've worked hard to legitimately get good at.

By the way if you are one of those people

You already know what I'm going to say :D

For everyone annoyed at the rudeness issues online, just mute everyone... I have my 360 permanently set to mute everyone at all times, and I couldn't be happier. Sadly, PS3 does not have this function unless you plug in a headset and mute it through that.

Voice isn't needed for any online game with strangers.. sure, you *might* be able to coordinate tactics, but the chance of that happening with strangers is slim and while you're trying to do that, you're a dirty hacker jew ****er who is a noob.

I play online often and have actually felt my experience is better by not hearing anyone else, because they have nothing worthwhile to say.

Offline is the best. I haven't even bothered getting live for my 360 because it's too much of a hassle without built-in wifi. Sometimes I'll play Wii and DS online with friends and fellow CAGs, but that's pretty rare.

I tend toward single-player games, and much prefer local multiplayer of any kind over online.

[quote name='Malik112099']It seems a lot of you are turned off by online play due to getting your ass kicked. If you actually play the game and put effort into it you will get better. I have a few friends who will only watch me play a game online rather than acually play it cause they are scared to get beat. The more you play the better you will get.

Do you make it through a whole single player campaign without dying? Then why even continue to play?[/QUOTE]
Way to generalize. From what I've seen so far, most people are complaining about rudeness, not losing.

Me, there's a certain game I'm pretty damn good at multiplayer, but I got bored playing online really quickly because the experience felt so detached, especially when playing with strangers (who mostly had samey strategies and seemed to be quicker to give up if you were the one winning). On the other hand, I had a lot of fun back in the day playing a different game that I was not all that great at, because it was with friends in a LAN party setting.

I've had a few good experiences with online gaming (sticking with friends, or at least lucking out with a good crowd, has helped), but nothing's really hooked me thus far.

I'm with you there. I'd gotten into online gaming a little this generation with the Modern Warfare games etc.

But the past few months I've only been playing single player games and been having more fun. I'm just not that into playing games competitive, playing for challenge etc. I just want to relax and that's much easier to do with single player games.

If I renew my Gold account again, it will just be for the netflix streaming. Which I probably will as I use it more than enough to get $30-35 a year worth out of it. And I may want to play some co-op games like Gears of War 3 online with friends that now live hundred's of miles away etc.

[quote name='blueshinra']Way to generalize. From what I've seen so far, most people are complaining about rudeness, not losing.[/QUOTE]

i didnt generalize at all. I didn't say everyone, I said a lot of them. You can mute people. If rudeness from someone that isnt even there with you is reason enough to not have fun online, then im surprised more people dont quit school/their jobs and become shut ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has their own preference, and it largely depends on the game 0_o

If you bought Street Fighter for the Arcade mode, I'd think you were loony.

I didnt generalize at all. I didn't say everyone, I said a lot of them.
Perhaps you didn't generalize. What you did do however was make an assumption, and a bad one at that.

If rudeness from someone that isnt even there with you is reason enough to not have fun online, then im surprised more people dont quit school/their jobs and become shut ins.

Haha what!? What kind of equivocation is that? If I don't like to be insulted when I'm trying to enjoy myself then I shouldn't work a job or go to school? Why, because they're going to insult me there too and I won't be able to handle it? If this is an issue where YOU work, then you might want to switch jobs, but where I work people don't usually call me a "stupid homo." Tell you what, let me know of the next time you plan to go see a movie so I can sit behind you and throw junior mints at your head. Apparently when we want to have fun we also need to build character and "toughen up", so consider this a mitzvah from me to you.

And what's this BS about being afraid to lose? It seems that every offline game I'm playing these days is telling me how many times I died, how many times I committed suicide, grading and judging me, etc. According to you this is so emotionally disturbing to me that I'll refuse to save my games, lest someone get ahold of my memory card or harddrive and know my secret shame.

I have come back and see some great pros and cons with being offline and online. I will agree with the idea of muting and also with the fact it is better when you are doing local multiplayer or with friends. It really isn't so much of the rudeness once and a while, but it is a constant as of late. It is not in quality, but in quantity. Losing online is not a problem. It helps you become a better gamer, but it is the level of elitists online that get me. There is a difference being rudeness and plain old tactfulness.

When I think of bad online communities I think of hackers, selfish players, and people who just aren't fun to play with in general.

Take Gears of War for example. Aside from all the annoying eiltists who actually think they aren't playing a broken game, you have every other player who finds it absolutley hilarious to down the last enemy, attach smoke grenades to him, and let him bleed out for the rest of the round.

I simply don't have time for that shit.

Or DOTA/HoN as another example. Even if you join a "noobs only please" game, every time you die will result in getting your ass chewed out by your entire team. I've never seen so much hate in a gaming community as much I see it in those 2 games.

And people who play Modern Warfare and think they are good at FPS, please.

[quote name='Malik112099']If rudeness from someone that isnt even there with you is reason enough to not have fun online, then im surprised more people dont quit school/their jobs and become shut ins.[/QUOTE]
What kind of argument is that? There isn't the same benefit of relative anonymity at school/work as with the internet, and thus it's a lot easier to get away with being an asshole in an online game. It's not hard to see how that can be frustrating for a lot of people, as eastshore4 has clearly pointed out.

Would love to see a poll.

I value offline more then anything else. Nothing beats scripted sequences and NPC/enviornment interaction that blows your mind.

I just don't think modern online is executed very well. However I do enjoy playing with friends.

[quote name='camoor']Would love to see a poll.

I value offline more then anything else. Nothing beats scripted sequences and NPC/enviornment interaction that blows your mind.

I just don't think modern online is executed very well. However I do enjoy playing with friends.[/QUOTE]

Now looking at the response of this topic, the rich amount of dialog suggests that this is a big issue in the industry. You are correct in that the modern setup with the systems currently out now do not do online in the way it should, but it is better than nothing. I want to like online play but nothing beats having friends over for local multiplayer and really squaring off.
I think the online multiplayer is there because in the beginning of the Xbox Live days, that is what people were clamoring for, the online aspect. Now that we are into the 4-5 years with the current systems, people's perceptions of online have changed. I think it is a culmination of people wanting to get the single player experience again and the fact that people are tired of the elitist attitude some, i mean some, players have. Those people would not act like that in real offline life. No matter if you are offline and online, if your skill level sucks, that is what it is. But taken from some of the quotes, just the fact there is a gang mentality that goes along with it, makes not only that player not spend $50 on the service, but also damages the credibility of online gaming and ultimately in the end, have many people pull out of online gaming and developers go back to making single player experience. That would be a bad deal. I hope it doesn't get to that point, but many I have talked to, pulled off of Xbox Live and PSN for that reason, even if their friends were playing on it.

I see a few things to comment on here.

1. I never was very competitive with online games. I had fun when I was doing well, and when I was losing badly--which was most of the time.

2. A good point this brings up is that competitive online games are really only for hardcore gamers.

You have to play a lot, put in the time to practice, learn the maps etc. if you want to be good.

That just doesn't work for a casual gamer like myself who plays just to veg out and probably averages 5 hours a week or less through out the year--with that number inflated from playing a couple WRPGs a year where I'll play way more than that for a month and then not touch a game for a couple months.

3. As for the single player thing--I've played plenty of games where I seldom or rarely die, and still have a blast.

I don't play games to challenge myself, or get some sense of accomplishment etc. My career is for that. I play games when I want to just lounge on the couch, veg out and escape from the real world and relax for a while. So I love playing a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3 with the difficulty down on easy where I can just explore the world, do quests and not have to put much though into it nor get frustrated from dying all the time etc.

In any case, you post came across as one of those hardcore gamer types who think the only way to play games is to be competitor, play online, play hard single player games and try to get better at them etc.

At the end of the day, the only reason to play video games is to have FUN! For you that's playing competitively, for others that's playing single player games that are super hard and getting better at them, for other's like me it's playing mostly easy games to veg out.

As long as one is having fun, there's no right or wrong way to play games!

I don't like playing games that are too easy or on the easiest setting. They get boring quickly. Its like running through a game with god mode on. No thanks. I like a little challenge with my gaming experience.

[quote name='xmbri']
Now looking at the response of this topic, the rich amount of dialog suggests that this is a big issue in the industry. You are correct in that the modern setup with the systems currently out now do not do online in the way it should, but it is better than nothing. I want to like online play but nothing beats having friends over for local multiplayer and really squaring off.
I think the online multiplayer is there because in the beginning of the Xbox Live days, that is what people were clamoring for, the online aspect. Now that we are into the 4-5 years with the current systems, people's perceptions of online have changed. I think it is a culmination of people wanting to get the single player experience again and the fact that people are tired of the elitist attitude some, i mean some, players have. Those people would not act like that in real offline life. No matter if you are offline and online, if your skill level sucks, that is what it is. But taken from some of the quotes, just the fact there is a gang mentality that goes along with it, makes not only that player not spend $50 on the service, but also damages the credibility of online gaming and ultimately in the end, have many people pull out of online gaming and developers go back to making single player experience. That would be a bad deal. I hope it doesn't get to that point, but many I have talked to, pulled off of Xbox Live and PSN for that reason, even if their friends were playing on it.
[/QUOTE]

I think you're delving way too deep into this. There are countless types of multiplayer and single player games that appeal to all sorts of different people. Online, social, and competitive games are simply becoming more popular because developers have focused more on these aspects and have brought them to the casual market.

Games like Modern Warfare are going after that demographic who is sick of the tough, competitive nature of the big name multiplayer games of the past like Counter-Strike, where you actually had to aim to get kills. Back in those days, many popular games were made strictly with the online portion in mind (PC games). Now that consoles have breached the online frontier, they have a entire demographic of casual gamers who have never touched the 'WASD' keys for a game in their life.

Now you got these CoD games where artificial rewards are popping up in your face every other second no matter how terrible you are. Anyone can walk into a CoD game, get a few kills, rank up, unlock a gadget, and feel like they are being competitive (of course, this is also the reason for the increased amount of elitism and poorer communities -- people think they are hot shit). This is why CoD is great to so many people. This is why it's the biggest hitting game since Pokemon.

I use CoD as the primary example but more and more games these days are adapting this type of design including other big hitters like World of Warcraft.

But Single Player games are on the rise too if you ask me. Heavy Rain sold over a million copies and that's the last type of game you'd think would be a mega hit on the market. God of War III as well hit over that mark in its first month -- and the game is only 8 or so hours long!

I find this topic a bit ridiculous because while I understand there are a few gamers out there who strictly enjoy playing alone or who only enjoy playing with others -- how can the rest of you say, "Yeah I don't prefer to play online/single player" You don't prefer to play what? If you don't like getting tea bagged in Halo by 10 year olds, how do you know you wouldn't enjoy raiding in an MMO? Playing with some pals in a fighting game? Playing through a co-op RPG or shooter?

It's just a really broad subject, and I couldn't let go of either form of play and still remain happy as a gamer.

Man, what?

Online play isnt even suitable for competitive grade gaming. You've got to go to an in person tournament if you're serious about competition. Being good online is different because the game itself plays differently. You tend to do things that dont work as well in person and if you're not careful you can pick up all sorts of bad habits.

Another thing that sucks for competitive gaming is differential HDTV lag between models.

Offline. I'm just more into single player games in the big picture. I used to love Quake Arena TF back in the mid-late 90s but I think as the technology to play online became more accessible, it opened the floodgates for complete morons to join in as well. Don't get me wrong, I'll jump in on a recent FPS or online game once in a while, but the games are designed so that people will work in teams and more often than not, it's not the case between people going for individual achievements/trophies or just not bothering to coordinate.

But offline multiplayer is a blast. Nothing replaces the smack talk that can be had with a group of friends over who wins the belt or has the quickest trigger, etc.

[quote name='Malik112099']I don't like playing games that are too easy or on the easiest setting. They get boring quickly. Its like running through a game with god mode on. No thanks. I like a little challenge with my gaming experience.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, to each their own.

As long as someone is having fun, that's all that matters. There's no right or wrong way to play games. You have fun getting a challenge. I have fun vegging out and relaxing.

You're probably a hardcore gamer, where as games are clear at the bottom of my hobby list. So we have different levels of interest in games and different reasons for playing them. All that matters is that we both have fun playing games!

I agree with the last couple of posts, as long as you are having fun, that is all that matters as a gamer. But nothing beats local and offline multiplayer, especially the fun with the person next to you just talking smack and doing it back to them. Nothing beats that. Tiger Woods 05 for Xbox for example is one my friend and I come back time and time again to try to one up each other with massive smack talk but also compliment each other on how great we lie up the ball. That is something you can't get online or recreate online in the same way.

[quote name='xmbri']Tiger Woods 05 for Xbox for example is one my friend and I come back time and time again to try to one up each other with massive smack talk but also compliment each other on how great we lie up the ball. That is something you can't get online or recreate online in the same way.[/QUOTE]

You can do the same exact thing online with that friend, you just wont be able to gaze into their longing eyes during it.

[quote name='Malik112099']You can do the same exact thing online with that friend, you just wont be able to gaze into their longing eyes during it.[/QUOTE]

It's just much more fun in person. Trash talking while sitting on the coach and pounding beers with a good friend is a lot more fun that doing it online and talking crap through a stupid headset. Same with co-op games IMO, a lot more fun in person.

In person interaction is always superior to virtual interaction IMO. But maybe that's just me being a bit older, having only had broadband internet for 5 years or so etc. and thus not being so ingrained into the virtual world as others. *shrugs*

[quote name='dmaul1114']In person interaction is always superior to virtual interaction IMO.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree with this. As much as I love MW2, the multiplayer experience just doesn't draw me in nearly as much as Goldeneye or Halo did in 4 player local, even with all of MW's bells and whistles. Also, nowadays I pretty much always mute Live when playing with strangers but sometimes that just leads to me thinking "what's the point of paying for what is essentially a service that provides me with really good bots?". Muting just undermines the whole multiplayer experience for me.

Still, in the end it's just different strokes I guess. There's no accounting for taste...

I'm totally into offline gaming (single player or local co-op mode). I don't mind the on-line option, but if i can pay less for the same game w/o on-line mode, i would!

If MW2 is $40 w/o multi-player on-line option, that's a better buy for me. Of course, we don't get to choose in that matter so...

I absolutely can't stand on-line trophies/achievements, especially achievements, because then you have to pay to play on-line to unlock those... Of course, collecting all achievements doesn't net you a platinum or anything, so i'm okay with that. However, for PS3 trophies, i can't stand on-line trophies. I was so glad that there were only two Uncharted 2 on-line trophies, otherwise i won't be able to get the platinum.

I don't have problems with on-line trophy/achievement boosts, but it's cumbersome... you got to communicate and wait, not much fun as you play by yourself or local co-op.

Reasons i hate on-line gaming:
1. you need to have internet (most of us have it and 99% of the time it runs fine). However, that doesn't change the fact that you need the internet. There can be various other internet reasons, like who's paying the bill or who's download a massive HD video etc... For the Xbox, additional setups/money required if the router is not within reach.

2. Time, schedule, a big issue! Single player? You can play whenever you want. I feel bad whenever i turn down a friend's request to play on-line. I just don't want to play with him/her when i'm reading a book or watching a movie. Then the opposite happens... Finally, not all on-line games are active, so good luck trying to play a less popular title or an older game.

3. Too competitive... If you're not good, you get the "are you stupid" treatment. Of all of the on-line sessions, i played as a "medic." I find myself running places to places healing downed teammates are more satisfying than killing the opponents. I died a lot for trying... and guess what? nobody likes to save/heal me :whistle2:(

4. I realized that you do waste a lot of time in the lobby and loading when playing on-line. Those seconds add up, which you can use to play something else.

5. This one really annoys me... Players mysteriously dropping out! Doesn't matter if i'm playing a private match or with people i know.

6. I almost always can't play too long on-line (bathroom breaks, phones, doorbells). I feel bad to leave a game early or even pause, BUT sometimes i have to! Anyhow, with single player mode, i just hit pause (except maybe in cool cut-scenes).

7. Cyber bullying... I don't care you can press the buttons swiftly, but killing me where i respawn over and over is low. I hate players target me throughout the match just because i accidentally killed him (beginner's luck or something like that). You want your revenge, i get it!

8. Sour pusses... Street Fighter matches, if you're killed my fireballs, dragon punches, please don't send me hate messages. You win some and lose some, all part of the game. When I lose a match, i compliment my opponent's skills (there are a lot of polite players on the PS3 by the way and they appreciate my messages, they even offer tips). Not everyday i get a sour message, but when i do get one, it's freaking annoying. The stench lasts for a long time...

9. Then the spams from people met on-line... Most gamers know that Bill Gate or PSN don't give out free money, but some gamers believe the spams are true. They feel like they have to spread the love as friends. Either that or they hate you very much...

10. Then there are chats before game, during game and after game. Seriously, you may game with me few times, but i don't really want to talk to you over a video game. Mute? Yeah, i use it...

11. Those annoying who just signed on, who just left messages on the top right corner. I don't mind the trophy/achievement pop ups, but man, it's annoying... If i play offline, i don't get those. Maybe there's an option somewhere allow me to customize it?

12. Additional DL contents... It's an on-line gaming segregation. Hey, let's play this map! Well, i can't i don't have it. Why not? Because i don't feel like to pay for it. Oh you're so not cool, it's a good map. The conversation goes both ways.

I love single player and would play it almost exclusively. I prefer co-op to competitive online multi player.

The way i have always enjoyed competitive multi player is having multiple tv's and systems set up in one house, having a big old nerd gameing party. maybe its from my old computer lan party days. I miss lan parties

I prefer offline moreso than online play unless I'm playing with friends, since I don't need nor want to hear the N word every other second or have some toolbag chasing me and trying to kill me for 40 f'n minutes.

I play offline exclusively. I tried Xbox live for a few months and It was too much me for me to take.

To be honest, I never really gave it a fair chance though. I guess I don't have the time to spend hours and hours playing online

[quote name='Xevious']
To be honest, I never really gave it a fair chance though. I guess I don't have the time to spend hours and hours playing online[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's a big part of it. Most online gaming is really only for hardcore gamers who have the time (or the interest to devote the time) to playing online. I have neither the time nor interest personally.

Competitive games==having to put in a ton of time to get your skill up and be able to do well.

MMORPGs==biggest time sinks in gaming

Co-op games would be the exception, but again I enjoy playing something like Gears of War in co-op with my buddy in the same room pounding beers with me, vs. doing it with the same friend online talking through silly head sets etc.

[quote name='Serpentor']I'm totally into offline gaming (single player or local co-op mode). I don't mind the on-line option, but if i can pay less for the same game w/o on-line mode, i would!

If MW2 is $40 w/o multi-player on-line option, that's a better buy for me. Of course, we don't get to choose in that matter so...

I absolutely can't stand on-line trophies/achievements, especially achievements, because then you have to pay to play on-line to unlock those... Of course, collecting all achievements doesn't net you a platinum or anything, so i'm okay with that. However, for PS3 trophies, i can't stand on-line trophies. I was so glad that there were only two Uncharted 2 on-line trophies, otherwise i won't be able to get the platinum.

I don't have problems with on-line trophy/achievement boosts, but it's cumbersome... you got to communicate and wait, not much fun as you play by yourself or local co-op.

Reasons i hate on-line gaming:
1. you need to have internet (most of us have it and 99% of the time it runs fine). However, that doesn't change the fact that you need the internet. There can be various other internet reasons, like who's paying the bill or who's download a massive HD video etc... For the Xbox, additional setups/money required if the router is not within reach.

2. Time, schedule, a big issue! Single player? You can play whenever you want. I feel bad whenever i turn down a friend's request to play on-line. I just don't want to play with him/her when i'm reading a book or watching a movie. Then the opposite happens... Finally, not all on-line games are active, so good luck trying to play a less popular title or an older game.

3. Too competitive... If you're not good, you get the "are you stupid" treatment. Of all of the on-line sessions, i played as a "medic." I find myself running places to places healing downed teammates are more satisfying than killing the opponents. I died a lot for trying... and guess what? nobody likes to save/heal me :whistle2:(

4. I realized that you do waste a lot of time in the lobby and loading when playing on-line. Those seconds add up, which you can use to play something else.

5. This one really annoys me... Players mysteriously dropping out! Doesn't matter if i'm playing a private match or with people i know.

6. I almost always can't play too long on-line (bathroom breaks, phones, doorbells). I feel bad to leave a game early or even pause, BUT sometimes i have to! Anyhow, with single player mode, i just hit pause (except maybe in cool cut-scenes).

7. Cyber bullying... I don't care you can press the buttons swiftly, but killing me where i respawn over and over is low. I hate players target me throughout the match just because i accidentally killed him (beginner's luck or something like that). You want your revenge, i get it!

8. Sour pusses... Street Fighter matches, if you're killed my fireballs, dragon punches, please don't send me hate messages. You win some and lose some, all part of the game. When I lose a match, i compliment my opponent's skills (there are a lot of polite players on the PS3 by the way and they appreciate my messages, they even offer tips). Not everyday i get a sour message, but when i do get one, it's freaking annoying. The stench lasts for a long time...

9. Then the spams from people met on-line... Most gamers know that Bill Gate or PSN don't give out free money, but some gamers believe the spams are true. They feel like they have to spread the love as friends. Either that or they hate you very much...

10. Then there are chats before game, during game and after game. Seriously, you may game with me few times, but i don't really want to talk to you over a video game. Mute? Yeah, i use it...

11. Those annoying who just signed on, who just left messages on the top right corner. I don't mind the trophy/achievement pop ups, but man, it's annoying... If i play offline, i don't get those. Maybe there's an option somewhere allow me to customize it?

12. Additional DL contents... It's an on-line gaming segregation. Hey, let's play this map! Well, i can't i don't have it. Why not? Because i don't feel like to pay for it. Oh you're so not cool, it's a good map. The conversation goes both ways.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums everything up perfectly from the topic right to the T. +1 FTW. Unfortunately, you are a rare gamer.
My biggest question is that is there really a generation gap in the way we play games offline vs. online. I guess it could be the old fogey in me used to play offline for eons. Kinda of get that with the responses.

Single player for me. I can pause the game and return in a few hours and no one will me mad at me. I don't have children yelling profanity at me. The AI opponents treat me like a human being, while online I get spammed, harassed, yelled at, called a noob, and other garbage.

[quote name='xmbri'] I guess it could be the old fogey in me used to play offline for eons. Kinda of get that with the responses.[/QUOTE]

I think that's part of it.

I didn't have broadband until Summer 2005, didn't have a real online console until late 2007 when I got an Xbox 360--never hooked my original Xbox or PS2 up to the internet. So the first online games I ever played were Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4.

So pretty much all my gaming experience has been offline, and I just never got really into online. I had some good times playing CoD4 and MW2 with CAGs, but still always preferred playing a great single player game.

So as gaming time has gotten tighter, I've scrapped playing online at all and focus on the single player stuff I personally enjoy more. I had a lot more fun from March to Present playing Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Fallout 3 (only games I played over that time--just started Bioshock 2) than I did from November-Feb when about all the gaming I was doing was trying to get into playing MW2 online.

Again, just too each their own. Online gaming appeals more to hardcore gamers who put more time into games and enjoy challenge and competition. But is like forcing a round peg into a square hole for a more casual gamer like me that likes to play easier games to veg out and relax.

bread's done
Back