Puzzle Games on GBA/GBC

sposhead

CAG Veteran
Hey All,

I figured this would be the best place to ask. I am looking for some puzzle games for the GBA. The two that come to mind off hand are Columns Crown (GBA) and Magical Tetris Challenge (GBC). But if you have any other puzzle type games (similar to Tetris and Columns), please do lemme know. I am willing to buy. Thanks.

Tetris Attack. I think they remade it into Pokemon Puzzle league. I prefer the original because it was Super Mario World 2 themed, Yoshi and all.

Also, "Yoshi", which involved classic mario monsters (squid, goombas, shy guys) and getting them trapped between two halves of an egg. pretty fun too.

Qix is another game i can recomend, not quite a puzzler, but still racks the brain sometimes

There is a Microsoft Puzzle Collection that was released for the GameBoy Color.

I read somewhere the collection is the result of Tetris creator Alexy Pajitnov. I didn't see this anywhere on the packaging, but it is plausible since last I knew Alexy worked for Microsoft.

You can find the game at Half.com for $18.

[quote name='Wshakspear']Tetris Attack. I think they remade it into Pokemon Puzzle league. I prefer the original because it was Super Mario World 2 themed, Yoshi and all.

Also, "Yoshi", which involved classic mario monsters (squid, goombas, shy guys) and getting them trapped between two halves of an egg. pretty fun too.

Qix is another game i can recomend, not quite a puzzler, but still racks the brain sometimes[/quote]

I think the Yoshi game you are referring to is Yoshi's Cookie.

Others that I can recommend are Kirby's Star Stacker, the Tetris games, The original DOnkey Kong.

QIX ADVENTURE!!!

i just ordered one from germany for like $30

anyone know if i need a PAL gbcolor to play this?

should be the bomb! It's a pokemon rip-off, qix style.

[quote name='polaricecaves']QIX ADVENTURE!!!

i just ordered one from germany for like $30

anyone know if i need a PAL gbcolor to play this?

should be the bomb! It's a pokemon rip-off, qix style.[/quote]

nope, there's only one setting for GB(a,c,p...any kind) so game from anywhere will play

and i thought yoshis cookie actually involved cookies?...i dunno anymore...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Wshakspear']Tetris Attack. I think they remade it into Pokemon Puzzle league. I prefer the original because it was Super Mario World 2 themed, Yoshi and all.

Qix is another game i can recomend, not quite a puzzler, but still racks the brain sometimes[/quote]

Others that I can recommend are Kirby's Star Stacker, the Tetris games, The original DOnkey Kong.[/quote]

No. He is right. There is a game called "Yoshi" that isn't Yoshi's Cookie. In it, baddies like Goomba and Boo dropped from the top, and Mario at the bottom had to place them together. By putting the same pieces together, they would disappear. Egg's could be turned into Yoshi's. It was an okay puzzle game, that had two player mode. I have it for the NES.

[quote name='Rig'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Wshakspear']Tetris Attack. I think they remade it into Pokemon Puzzle league. I prefer the original because it was Super Mario World 2 themed, Yoshi and all.

Others that I can recommend are Kirby's Star Stacker, the Tetris games, The original DOnkey Kong.[/quote]

No. He is right. There is a game called "Yoshi" that isn't Yoshi's Cookie. In it, baddies like Goomba and Boo dropped from the top, and Mario at the bottom had to place them together. By putting the same pieces together, they would disappear. Egg's could be turned into Yoshi's. It was an okay puzzle game, that had two player mode. I have it for the NES.[/quote]

The game you are describing, IMO, sounds exactly like Yoshi's Cookie. That is the only Yoshi puzzler that I know of for the GBC/GB/GBA. Do you maybe have a link to the other Yoshi game? I have never heard of that one.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Rig'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Wshakspear']Tetris Attack. I think they remade it into Pokemon Puzzle league. I prefer the original because it was Super Mario World 2 themed, Yoshi and all.

No. He is right. There is a game called "Yoshi" that isn't Yoshi's Cookie. In it, baddies like Goomba and Boo dropped from the top, and Mario at the bottom had to place them together. By putting the same pieces together, they would disappear. Egg's could be turned into Yoshi's. It was an okay puzzle game, that had two player mode. I have it for the NES.[/quote]

The game you are describing, IMO, sounds exactly like Yoshi's Cookie. That is the only Yoshi puzzler that I know of for the GBC/GB/GBA. Do you maybe have a link to the other Yoshi game? I have never heard of that one.[/quote]

Yeah Yoshi and Yoshi's Cookie are seperate games. Yoshi (with the eggs) only came out for NES. Really fun game. I also second the Tetris Attack mention, one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, MookyJooky, for some reason your signature creeps the hell out of me.

993610600-00.jpg

2027.jpg

It came out for GB too :)

Puyo Pop is very fun. I kind of regretted selling it. has a wacky storylines with weird characters and even wackier dialogue.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Rig'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='Wshakspear']Tetris Attack. I think they remade it into Pokemon Puzzle league. I prefer the original because it was Super Mario World 2 themed, Yoshi and all.

The game you are describing, IMO, sounds exactly like Yoshi's Cookie. That is the only Yoshi puzzler that I know of for the GBC/GB/GBA. Do you maybe have a link to the other Yoshi game? I have never heard of that one.[/quote]

*sigh*

Yoshi: Mario villains fall from the top of the screen. Your goal is to get the villains into Yoshi eggs. Bottm shell, villians, top shell, and poof. No more baddies. If I'm not mistaken, they also vanish by getting enough of the same kind in a stack. Mario is at the bottom of the screen and can switch columns of pieces.

Yoshi's Cookie: You start with a square or rectangle of cookies. Your playing piece is a cursor, which you can use to shift the rows or columns of cookies. To get pieces to vanish, you need to have an entire row of the same piece - five by five? You'll need five of the piece in a row, then. More pieces fall from the top and the right side of the screen. You can earn Yoshi Cookies, which are essentially wild card pieces.

I KNOW this is right - I have them both for the NES. Don't make me pull out my beating stick...

Back on topic: Assuming you don't get a glitchy copy, Super Puzzle Fighter is amazing. Pokémon Puzzle League is a completely different kind of puzzle game, but it's easier to find and it should definitely be cheaper. I'd also suggest good old Tetris, as it's still one of the best out there.

You know what, Wshakspear you were right. I just did some research and found out that indeed there was a Yoshi's Cookie and a Yoshi for GB. I had known about the Yoshi's Cookie but not Yoshi. Aww now another game to find.

bread's done
Back