Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

[quote name='brandonabley']It's not that I am deeming the game UNPLAYABLE because the system is broken. I'm on the fence, you know? It's just that one detail that strips a little bit of the game's perceived depth.

Could you guys give me some more input on the RPG aspects of the game? It's heralded as addictive and all that, but I can never find an explanation on how its mechanics work.

Also, I should just download the demo like everyone else![/quote] Just boot up the demo and kick it around for a bit, and you'll see. Also, I bought the PSP version and haven't even noticed the companions not working. It's a tiny aspect to a rather deep game. There is so much other stuff to consider that it's not even noticeable.

If this DOESN'T become rare and becomes cheap (or with the helps of a nice coupon + sale) I would pick the PSP version up.

I have the DS + paid full price for it. So if I bought the PSP version..then it would have to be cheap :)

The bug? I'll explain it.
Your companions bring an INITIAL damage effect into battle. That means they usually do 10 damage if a creature is a certain type.
HOWEVER, enemies HP is almost always 100-200 HP. So it's pretty much a useless effect ANYWAY.

The PSP version is INFINITELY nicer looking and controls better. Plus includes a demo for the Cube game, too.

I picked up the DS version the other day at BestBuy. It's fun but I don't know if I would go as far as saying it's amazing. It's a nice puzzle game with some rpg elements that adds some strategy. Story is worthless but otherwise a nice buy. I'm sure all the Penny Arcade hype helps too.

[quote name='M3wThr33']The bug? I'll explain it.
Your companions bring an INITIAL damage effect into battle. That means they usually do 10 damage if a creature is a certain type.
HOWEVER, enemies HP is almost always 100-200 HP. So it's pretty much a useless effect ANYWAY.

The PSP version is INFINITELY nicer looking and controls better. Plus includes a demo for the Cube game, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah these helpers really don't do shit LOL

Is that the only problem with the PSP version??
If so, then :applause: @ nicer graphics :)

I was really spoiled by the PC demo, because even though the DS version is nice.. the PC version is soo much better!

Ok, so once I beat this game I'll have to go look for the PSP version @ CAG pricing.. lol

I had the game lock up on me once, but the DS version has the same issues, but they're all rare. The game auto-saves so much it's not a loss.

[quote name='M3wThr33']I had the game lock up on me once, but the DS version has the same issues, but they're all rare. The game auto-saves so much it's not a loss.[/QUOTE]

I had only 1 problem with the DS version. I turned it on, and when I clicked on it at the DS screen..it was starting up, but never actually started. AKA just sat on a black screen :(

..but that was it.

What a great game.

Is anyone else taking their time? I'm doing all sidequests before doing each main mission. You get a lot of neat stuff, and you can earn rankings which help your stats :)

There are choices in the sidequests, too, like returning that woman or letting her go free and they have huge impacts.

Also, the DS has an even worse bug. The game starts with the same layout everytime.

[quote name='M3wThr33']There are choices in the sidequests, too, like returning that woman or letting her go free and they have huge impacts.

Also, the DS has an even worse bug. The game starts with the same layout everytime.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Thats why you gotta play this game over and over again.. just to see it all :)

[quote name='M3wThr33']Also, the DS has an even worse bug. The game starts with the same layout everytime.[/QUOTE]
You mean the layout of the gems?

I originally picked up the DS version, because I tend to play my DS a lot more than my PSP. However, I recently went on a PSP splurge, grabbing games left and right so I picked up the PSP version as well for $20 (after a $5 PSP coupon and Reward zone certificate at BB) I'd say if you have both systems, get the PSP version since it looks and controls better, but you won't go wrong with either version. I'm still hoping for a full PC version though.

[quote name='icruise']Wow, that's a HUGE minus for the DS version then.[/QUOTE]

It's only the first game you play on booting up the DS, but you won't see that publicized too much as the entire Internet seems to have a vendetta against the PSP. The DS is ALLLLLLLLLLLWAYS better, right? The PSP has no games, shitty battery life and all that, right? *sigh*

And yes, trust me, switching gems with a DPad on the PSP is much easier than using the stylus on the DS. (You can't use the dpad on the DS version) The game WILL penalize you for making a bad switch, so you NEED precision.

I've been playing the demo for several hours, man, this is a great game! When I first heard about it I was like, "Meh, okay, Bejeweled was O-K, but an RPG/Bejeweled combination?"

But wow, this game is pretty deep! I like how they give you several game "modes", like Forging Items or Researching Spells, it really adds a TON of strategy.

I think I'm going to have to get this game.

How many hours is the single-player, anyone know?

There's no way to tell how many hours the game might take, because the time it takes to solve the puzzles will vary from puzzle to puzzle (as they are random) and from person to person. There's quite a bit of content, in any case.

I've read on other sites people playing up to 50 hours before finishing the game. Don't know if that was 1 character or how many side quest they had completed.

50 hours is definitely a possibility. The game does NOT keep track. Even with one character.
It all depends on if you can craft good items.

Well you are only required to do the missions that are in red. The white ones are just side quests..it's how you can earn different rankings, level up, get helpers, get neat items..etc.

Also, alot of areas you can Search for Runes..and that takes time as well.

I doubt the game is really that long. But it's when you do the sidequests and search for runes...and capture monsters & mounts and then learn the spells and level the mounts up...the hours sure can add up!

I just really hope this doesn't become rare, and can be found cheap...I def want to try the PSP version!

Yeah, this game is deep. I've played about 8 hours I'd guess and I have barely scratched the surface I feel like.

BTW, I just tried my first City Seige tonight- damn, that's hard! I guess I'm just underlevelled. I had 78 I think (level 13) and the City defenses had 200+!!

Or do the cities scale with you? If that's the case I guess I need better equipment.

What a FUN game!!

i just picked up this game. well i just picked up a psp and got this game.

but is that annoying delay there for every move you make?

What delay are you referring to? The first time a particular sound effect plays, there seems to be a slight delay, but certainly not for every move.

yeah i think it was just the first time the sound played.

i played a few more battles, it didn't seem as bad.

Edit:

well having played this for about 5 hrs today. i'm totally hooked. the partnership bug kinda annoying, but not very important.

unlike a normal rpg when grinding is usually a chore. in puzzle quest, the battle is so fun.

got it off gamefly thursday and was about to buy it today , well that is until i got some type of bug in the game (the game freezes when your changing spells) then the system just shuts off.

i probally be returning it cause how it sounds on gamefaqs this game as some nasty bugs in it. would of been a great game if they took the time to work the bugs out

Well i restarted my quest and didnt master any monsters spells to stay away from the bugs and got to say

I LOVED THIS GAME

i just beat the game (9 days playing 3 to 4 hours a day) that is without doing any of the spells or the crafting of any items. so 30+ hours

Sadly i hated to see the game end since it was a great game. I have to put this game into one of the best games i ever played on the psp.

Now i got to come up with 2 games to get off gamefly this week (thinking 7 wonders and ???)

Hopefully puzzle quest 2 comes out soon

Just for the record, I've done everything (capturing monsters, learning spells, crafting weapons, etc) and haven't run in any bugs aside from the "companion bonuses not working" glitch.

What is sort of werid is you cant adjust the diff. level in quest mode BUT if you go into single player you can then hit continue quest.

I was having major problems beating the final boss but then turned it to

EASY

and was able to beat the boss in around 2 mins (the boss never even tried to hit for skull damage)

Got both versions, DS and PSP, the PSP version is better...

Enjoying it so far... you can't really clock this game b/c each battle is different. There was one battle, the wolf wiped me off with a whopping 50 points damage in few consecutive turns, talk about damn luck!

[quote name='keithp']Yeah, this game is deep. I've played about 8 hours I'd guess and I have barely scratched the surface I feel like.

BTW, I just tried my first City Seige tonight- damn, that's hard! I guess I'm just underlevelled. I had 78 I think (level 13) and the City defenses had 200+!!

Or do the cities scale with you? If that's the case I guess I need better equipment.

What a FUN game!![/quote]

you did that? man, i was around level 14 and 98 hit points, i still couldn't do it... the damn computer is too lucky!

[quote name='hfdpro']Why should people just "deal with it"? It's that attitude that allows these companies to ignore problems. Some say, "It's just a game", but if I spend $30.00 on a product and it does not perform the way it's supposed to, no matter what it is, it's going back to the store. If consumers raise enough hell instead of just "dealing with it" something might get done about it. I understand it's a great game, and I will be missing out, but I cannot bring myself to purchase this the way it is. I wll be one of the first in line if they decide to fix this. It's just a matter of principal.[/quote]
i hear you dude... but still, things are not always black and white, right and wrongs... in this case, a buggy game is wrong, yeah, nobody disagrees with that. BUT for those of us enjoying it right now, who cares? It's not like the bug stopping me enjoying the game. If it's something that's truly broken, that's a different story.

what i'm saying, i hear you and feel you, but all comes down to the individuals. Just stick to the demo for now then :)

As to will this kind of attitude stop companies from making quality products? i doubt it, because people still love it even though it's a "little" broken.

bread's done
Back