Puzzle Quest DS / PSP $19.99 at Amazon.com

Good deal on a great game!

My wife had always hated the idea of RPGs, but she enjoys puzzle games. After seeing me play several of the puzzles in this game, she decided to confiscate this game from me and start her own quest. I haven't been able to play this in a couple of months because she's still into it. Luckily I had bought her a DS of her own a few months back, otherwise I'd really be screwed.

[quote name='shrike4242']Nice to see this dropping, with the XBLA version on the horizon.[/quote]

I was thinking about getting it on live but now maybe not.

Gamespot says the PSP is better overall, only drawback is the slight pauses for loading times.

I'll wait for it to be $15 or less to get it.

You shouldn't be reading this.

You should be buying this game.

You just lost a good 10 seconds of your life.

10 more seconds that you COULD HAVE been playing Puzzle Quest

How much is the version on XBL going to cost ? And will it be the same game like on the DS ?

If it turns out to be some half ass version on XBL that requires me to pay for every feature then I'm going for the DS versoin.

[quote name='jchasse']You shouldn't be reading this.

You should be buying this game.

You just lost a good 10 seconds of your life.

10 more seconds that you COULD HAVE been playing Puzzle Quest[/quote]

:) It's a sweet game, no two ways about it, excellent game for playing on the can.

It's interesing that the PSP version is regarded as the better version, I'd have though the stylus was the ideal way to play the game.

I have the DS version, but either way this game is good times.

This is what gamespot says about both versions:

Both the PlayStation Portable and DS versions of Puzzle Quest have their quirks. On the PSP, loading issues can cause the game to hang for a second. These disruptive pauses can strike at almost any time, whether you're scrolling across the overworld map or casting a spell during combat. They don't really ruin anything, but they're annoying nonetheless. On the DS, the problems with the presentation are much more severe and end up impacting the gameplay. The graphics aren't as crisp and clear as they are on the PSP, and there are barely any flashy special effects. Most significantly, the puzzle playfield appears cramped on the lower screen of the DS, and it's difficult to discern certain pieces. Because of the size of the pieces, it's also easier to make mistakes with the game's mandatory stylus controls. The content is still good, but these problems make the DS version harder to recommend. While the presentation can be uneven between the two versions of Puzzle Quest, both feature some really great, sweeping music that fits the tone of the straightforward adventure quite beautifully.

[quote name='benjamouth']:) It's a sweet game, no two ways about it, excellent game for playing on the can.

It's interesing that the PSP version is regarded as the better version, I'd have though the stylus was the ideal way to play the game.

I have the DS version, but either way this game is good times.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently on the fence on whether to get the DS or PSP version.

from what reviews I've read:
PSP: better graphics, glitch with the companions feature
DS: graphics/interface not too great, mistakes can be made using the stylus (due to close proximity of icons), but the companions feature works

Question is: how important are the companions? I'm leaning towards the PSP version, but I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about getting something that is "broken" either.

i've finished both versions, the psp one looks better but is broken. You don't get any skill upgrades or battle enhancements from your companions, which kinds sucks. It works in the DS version. I hope they fix it for XBLA cuase the PSP one looks great. Plus, the stylus control really isn't that big of deal on the DS.

[quote name='greydt']
Question is: how important are the companions? I'm leaning towards the PSP version, but I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about getting something that is "broken" either.[/QUOTE]

I got the psp version because of the graphics

My answer is that "broken" is a realtive term. Name one game that came out that didn't have issues. I didn't know about the issues with the psp version before I bought it. (I did experience the lag from time to time. Can't say any of them affected the fun quotient.

Did I have a great time playing....HELL YES
Was it worth the money...HELL YES
It even got my wife into playing, you have no idea how big a deal that is.

This is one of the first games I have ever played where I was interested in playing through again with another character. I was torn between following the story vs spending hours finishing every side quest.

I can say that the PSP version sure is PURTY but you will enjoy this game no matter what version you get.

[quote name='greydt']I'm currently on the fence on whether to get the DS or PSP version.

from what reviews I've read:
PSP: better graphics, glitch with the companions feature
DS: graphics/interface not too great, mistakes can be made using the stylus (due to close proximity of icons), but the companions feature works

Question is: how important are the companions? I'm leaning towards the PSP version, but I'm not sure if I'm thrilled about getting something that is "broken" either.[/quote]

Hmmm, I'm not sure how far I am through the game (I'm at Lvl 18 at the mo), the companions show up occasionally and damage an opponent before you start or something, I don't think it's a deal breaker.

I haven't seen the PSP version but the DS screen is small, and the small icons+stylus can lead to the wrong move very occasionally.

It's sounds like the PSP version looks a lot better.

The DS also has a difficulty setting that the PSP does not(at least it does not to my knowledge)

I picked up the PSP version, and the old lady took it and my PSP...... I then picked up the DS version. Graphics and sound are not as good, but the companions work and the stylus is "sometimes" better. I say sometimes because I found myself accidently moving the wrong pieces which in the game causes an illegal move which causes damage to yourself as well as ends your turn.
Overall, I'd say I like the PSP version better. I like the music in the game, and the graphics and music are better in the PSP version, which for some reason makes the game more enjoyable to me(not always the case).
But anyway you go, you're getting a great game for 20 bucks, regardless of which you get.

[quote name='vherub']I prefer the ds version because moving with the stylus is quicker, mistakes for me were less than 1 in 100 moves.[/QUOTE]
Just an FYI...You WILL make mistakes moving on the PSP as well.
And man it pissed me off when I did it.

This is the only game on the psp where I have caught myself with my arm cocked and ready to fling the thing across the room. Not from error or bad design but from loosing to an opponent when I was SOOOOOOOO close.

Yhea I really did enjoy this game. Should I be embarresed to say that I turned down sex on not one but three seperate occasions to play?

Yhea it's one of those games.

[quote name='jchasse']

This is the only game on the psp where I have caught myself with my arm cocked and ready to fling the thing across the room. Not from error or bad design but from loosing to an opponent when I was SOOOOOOOO close.
[/quote]

Anything to do with stuff dropping into the board from the top which the CPU opponent seems to be expecting?

Anyone buying this game, get ready for what I call the "top-line screw-job". :bomb:

[quote name='KingDox']How much is the version on XBL going to cost ? And will it be the same game like on the DS ?

If it turns out to be some half ass version on XBL that requires me to pay for every feature then I'm going for the DS versoin.[/QUOTE]

1200 points for the XBLA version.

[quote name='ZForce915']1200 points for the XBLA version.[/quote]

Thats what 15.00? That makes it easy for me PSP version here I come (with a coupon of course ;))

If you have to choose PSP or DS, it really doesn't matter which one.

Flip a coin.

Pick the console you use more (unless you'd rather give the one you're currently neglecting more use).

The various issues are pretty minor, and you honestly won't know any better once you pick one. I went with the DS and the graphics are perfectly fine, you won't confuse tiles, and you'll either get along fine with the stylus or use the directional pad. The companions are nifty but non-essential, and any bonus you get from them will probably get whacked down the road thanks to a stylus goof.

The point is, it all evens out and the games are so good, warts and all, that either one is just fine.

The only thing not to to is dither until Amazon sells out.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been wanting to pick it up but haven't seen it around locally. The price drop makes it a no brainer.

Can someone check what firmware version is needed for the PSP? Thanks.

[quote name='mkernan']Gamestop.com is now showing $19.99 too. The used price is still $24.99, which is dumb.[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that too. And a lot of the time their used DS games is only a $5 diffrence.

Here is hoping other places drop it soon, I wouldn't mind using a $15 Bestbuy gift card I have towards the DS version.

Thanks for all the feedback on the game, everyone. This sorta' word of mouth is worth so much more than a pile of reviews.

[quote name='mkernan']Gamestop.com is now showing $19.99 too. The used price is still $24.99, which is dumb.[/quote]

I actually picked this up at Gamestop today for $20 so I can verify that price.

SI

Get the PSP version, if you have the choice. The DS port has a mandatory hint feature that will point out gem combos if you wait too long between moves. It's really annoying, and can't be turned off as far as I could tell.

bread's done
Back