Puzzle Quest Galactrix

I might pick it up this week, I really enjoyed the last one.
I might get this one on PC instead, I have been looking for a PC time waster.

Oh man, I forgot this was getting released today. What's the MSRP? I enjoyed the last one so much I may break my rules and get this one without waiting for a price drop.

I called gamestop and stopped by walmart and bestbuy, no one has it. Gamestop said it "ships today" not released today. I hate it how big releases are actually in store on release day but obscure stuff like this just arrives whenever...

I picked it up yesterday and feel that I should warn everyone that while the game itself is very good, there are some VERY frustrating technical issues with the DS Version. For one, it's VERY hard to click on what option you want to do when you fly to a certain planet or whatever. And if you're off on clicking on the option, your ship starts to fly away and you have to loop all the way back around, which is a frustrating waste of time. Secondly, there are LOAD TIMES, which I feel are inexcusable in a FREAKING CART BASED GAME. I'm not saying don't buy it, but keep these issues in mind, and possibly consider the PC Version as an alternative.

I went ahead and picked up my preorder yesterday even after reading all the reviews that stated the exact same problems. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it out tonight.

Do let us know what you find out. Now I'm leaning towards the PC version as well, despite people complaining about the install issues. Why can't this be on Steam damnit...

[quote name='BladeZ']Do let us know what you find out. Now I'm leaning towards the PC version as well, despite people complaining about the install issues. Why can't this be on Steam damnit...[/QUOTE]

This is on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23500/

I wanted the PSP version, but it seems the game doesn't exist anymore (did it ever existed in the first place?). Now, I'm just waiting for it to go on sale on Steam.

[quote name='ZForce']I picked it up yesterday and feel that I should warn everyone that while the game itself is very good, there are some VERY frustrating technical issues with the DS Version. For one, it's VERY hard to click on what option you want to do when you fly to a certain planet or whatever. And if you're off on clicking on the option, your ship starts to fly away and you have to loop all the way back around, which is a frustrating waste of time. Secondly, there are LOAD TIMES, which I feel are inexcusable in a FREAKING CART BASED GAME. I'm not saying don't buy it, but keep these issues in mind, and possibly consider the PC Version as an alternative.[/QUOTE]

Damn. That sounds like some serious slip-ups in testing! If I could fold up my PC and carry it in my pocket I would get it for my computer, but since I can't...and no PSP...I guess I'll wait for $20 or less on it...

There is no PSP version sadly. I played Puzzle Quest to death on the PSP. I'll probably get it when it releases on PSN. I dislike the touch-controls as well as the graphics on the DS for the original Puzzle Quest, which made the PSP version so much better, even with the party members glitch. It just made that game much more challenging :p.

[quote name='johnnypark']Is it stylus-only, or could you use the d-pad to avoid any of those problems?[/QUOTE]

It's stylus-only, no button controls whatsoever from what I can tell. It's like a 1st-gen DS game in that respect; a phase that I thought we passed out of (Even Daigasso! Band Brothers DX dropped the forced touchscreen usage).

I decided to pick up the PC copy, if anyone is interested in my DS version, I'll sell it for $26 shipped, or trade it straight up for a complete My World My Way, Legacy of Y's 1&2 or Star Ocean 2nd Evolution on PSP.

It's complete and mint of course, only been played twice.

Still haven't had a chance to try it out. My son played it for a couple hours yesterday, though...he seems to really like it (he liked the first PQ a lot). He did mention the 'ship wandering off' issue when pressed, but it didn't seem to bother him. He just kept going on and on and on about this, that, and the other thing, the game is great, blah de blah...

I'll give it a go this weekend.

I agreed with the list of flaws, but it hasnt bother me that much. Now the hacking game is something i wish they would take away

played it for around an hour and got to say i like it so far...the hacking thing could be a major pain the the ass.

got 2 games off gamefly today

this and YS 1 and 2 and both games will be fighting for time tonight

and hopefully will get another 1 or 2 games tomorrow

blue dragon plus and Candace Kane's Candy Factory (im at a 4 at a time plan and there was really nothing more out there i waned to i tried the candy factory since it looks like Dinner dash)

so hopefully 3 to 4 major games

will probally keep them a week or two and hopefully beat them since 2 of them needs to go back by
next week to get

Mana Khemia: Student Alliance
Avalon Code both comes out on the 12th

so i got a week to play them

I would start playing Ys tonight but something makes me think if i start this game i will be hooked on it and wont play anything else

oh man you are going to hate it since you are going to be doing a lot of hacking. It seems like this game takes one step forward and 5 steps backward.

[quote name='62t']oh man you are going to hate it since you are going to be doing a lot of hacking. It seems like this game takes one step forward and 5 steps backward.[/QUOTE]

yea that Hacking sort of #$#$# up the game. Also the game is just way too open ended and you dont have a clue where or what you need to do next.

I probally play this game more tonight then Ys.... popped in Ys and glad i never paid for it.. Cant really stand ys so probally end up playing this one more

Loves the first, ended up playing it on PSP after trying all versions. Not a fan of stylus controls I guess... Now I don't know what to do for this version...

I picked it up last night. The game itself seems more difficult, mainly due to the hex board and being able to change which way the gems slide. Also, 4 of a kind no longer gives an extra turn, but just a bonus. I haven't had any trouble with the planet menus sending my ship away yet, but the loading times are starting to tick me off. Not as much as hacking, though. I've probably done 20 hacking challenges so far just to get through 4 or 5 gates, but I've only fought 3 or 4 actual battles. Actually, the thing that really makes hacking worse is when I'm down to a few seconds left, and I can see my final move, but a chain reaction starts and uses up the rest of the time before I can make the move. I just went back to the one of the earlier areas and saw one of the gates I had opened go offline, so I guess I get to hack it again. Yay.

I never finished the original PQ, so I pulled it back out last week. I had stopped playing it because it eventually got old when I was around level 28, but it felt really fresh to start again where I left off. Still, I'm going to keep focusing on this one for a while. I like it so far, despite it's flaws. I just hope that it doesn't become a burden to keep playing.

is this game defected or does hack gates close after so long and you got to hack them again.

i thought it would be best just to start hacking gates to get that bad part out of the way but noticed late last night some of the gates were closed again.... then again i played it until 5am (#$#$#$ YOU GAME KEEPING ME UP ALL NIGHT WHEN I GOT WORK AT 10AM)

so i might just been losing it...

also your going to want to mine like crazy cause your going to need major cash to buy new ships ....

tempted to buy it since this is one of these games that you would pick up play it a few hours and come back to it every day.... I just wonder if i has any replay vaule like the first one did

I think at the beginning of the game they mentioned that the gates were shutting down because of a virus. It (ufortunately) makes sense that they'd shut back down a little while after you open them.

Game (at least my copy ) Has a lot of bugs in it.

sound cuts in and out... game freezes and you get a messed up screen (you have to turn off the system and turn it back on to get it to work) Ship freezes up and will not fly sometimes

seems even after all of the delays the game is still very buggy

[quote name='62t']I agreed with the list of flaws, but it hasnt bother me that much. Now the hacking game is something i wish they would take away[/quote]
I had the same complaints when I first started playing but after days of almost nonstop playing when I get a chance I don't even notice the load times any more and I know where to tap to make menu selections work. I hated the hacking at first, but it is now my favorite part of the game. Once you start to understand the board gravity it's easier to come up with a strategy and have fun at the same time.
[quote name='slidecage']is this game defected or does hack gates close after so long and you got to hack them again.[/quote]
Gates do close after a while.

I am really happy with this game. It brought me back to my DS after it sat there untouched for almost a year.

[quote name='wii skiier']I had the same complaints when I first started playing but after days of almost nonstop playing when I get a chance I don't even notice the load times any more and I know where to tap to make menu selections work. I hated the hacking at first, but it is now my favorite part of the game. Once you start to understand the board gravity it's easier to come up with a strategy and have fun at the same time.

Gates do close after a while.

I am really happy with this game. It brought me back to my DS after it sat there untouched for almost a year.[/QUOTE]

Damn you. Now I'm leaning towards getting it again.

[quote name='keithp']Damn you. Now I'm leaning towards getting it again.[/quote]
I can see why someone new to the series wouldn't like it (it's fairly convoluted for what poses as a Bejewled variant), and even why some fans of the original wouldn't because of the changes and additions, but this takes everything I liked about the first game and just adds more things that I like to the forumla.

Blah blah blah. You should get it.

[quote name='wii skiier']I can see why someone new to the series wouldn't like it (it's fairly convoluted for what poses as a Bejewled variant), and even why some fans of the original wouldn't because of the changes and additions, but this takes everything I liked about the first game and just adds more things that I like to the forumla.

Blah blah blah. You should get it.[/QUOTE]

So the "bugs" aren't that bad? Not that I'd take Slidecage's word over yours, mind you. ;) I've got a trip coming up tomorrow and I'm on the fence between this or DQ V, but since I'm almost done with DQ IV and a little burned out on it I think I'm leaning towards this. As long as the touch-screen bug isn't really that bad, and from what you've said it sounds like you get used to it after awhile and adapt. Like the Borg, hehe. And I DID enjoy the PC demo...

[quote name='keithp']So the "bugs" aren't that bad? Not that I'd take Slidecage's word over yours, mind you. ;) I've got a trip coming up tomorrow and I'm on the fence between this or DQ V, but since I'm almost done with DQ IV and a little burned out on it I think I'm leaning towards this. As long as the touch-screen bug isn't really that bad, and from what you've said it sounds like you get used to it after awhile and adapt. Like the Borg, hehe. And I DID enjoy the PC demo...[/QUOTE]

bugs are not major bugs.. if you get one just turn off your system and turn it back on,.... you do not lose your data or anything likie that ... its just like a file is messed up or some bad code that makes it freeze. you do not lose anything

i probally put 25 to 30 or so guessing hours in it since friday night

friday played it 9pm to 4am
saturday 10 to midnight
sunday 9 to 3 am
monday 9 to 2 am
today 10 to midnight

now getting bored with it though

its just no fun having to fight someone with a weapon that can just pound the hell out of you with no recharge

fun game but after playing it this long i doubt i would buy it.... probally end up sending it back saturday

[quote name='slidecage']bugs are not major bugs.. if you get one just turn off your system and turn it back on,.... you do not lose your data or anything likie that ... its just like a file is messed up or some bad code that makes it freeze. you do not lose anything

i probally put 25 to 30 or so guessing hours in it since friday night
[/quote]
I have yet to experience any bugs, and I've put about the same number of hours in. I think I know what you are talking about with the weapons, but every time I've run into that I realized there were other things I needed to do before fighting those tough battles and by the time I got back to them I was strong enough (and more strategic) to win the battle.

seems its a bug in the code in some copies... Some people on gamefaqs are even reporting worse bugs where the game just wont play anymore that you just see lines of code

They created different versions? Seems like all copies should have the same bugs. Maybe they only manifest in very specific circumstances.

[quote name='Backlash']They created different versions? Seems like all copies should have the same bugs. Maybe they only manifest in very specific circumstances.[/QUOTE]

well just like windows.. They crash on some people but not all

well im going to guess and say after around 40 hours i finally beat the game

found out late in the game you can cheat like hell on the game and buy an item that allows you to stun (make the computer turns skip)

It was like

Stuns the other person for 2 turns + 1turn for i think every 10 red you have (recharge time 5 turns)

Well once you get your Red above 37 (since it takes 7 to apply) It will stun the computer for 5 turns... Meaning Just keep your RED FILLED and the computer will never have an chance to attack

Beat the final battle boss this way in less then 3 mins ...

Even though i still got some Side quest to do its not really worth it since many of them are behind DIFF.HAcking gates and the last 4 gates you had to hack was hard as hell to get to the final boss in the first place

Match 24 in 90 seconds

Overall i would say great game for the vaule 40+ hours for a 30 bucks game that kept me up to 3 to 4 am every night for the last week ( something that havent done in months or even years )

Now to figure out if i want to try to dig into ys (what i really hate) or just send this back with Ys tonight or tomorrow and hope by next weekend have in hand

avalon code (though the more i see reviews and pics this game looks awful)
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance psp (though i say it gets pushed back again)

and for the 3rd game

Phantasy star for the psp or USa crossworld madness or whatever its call (came out a few weeks back)

and just play Blue dragon plus over the weekend

EDIT... seems the game has no replay vaule so i might as well just toss it in the mail today and hope something ships tomorrow

Well I bit on this for $20 at TRU. That's my magic price for most DS games, and even with the flaws I'm sure I'll get 20 dollars worth of playtime out of it.

I just couldn't get into this game. Hacking the leap gates and the galaxy interface was not as enjoyable as the Challenge of the Warlords set up for me.

I'm a simple man who enjoys riding around my griffin and getting into skirmishes. I'm going to goozex it and try out peggle dual shot.

Been putting some time into this one lately. At first the hacking pissed me off, mostly because I sucked at it, but now that I'm better at seeing the moves on the board it's not hard at all. Now *mining* on the other hand, I still suck at that. Cool puzzles, but hard as hell. I also hate that you can't mine the same asteroid twice until you've mined 3 others, but oh well. I haven't run into any bugs yet other than my ship flying off occasionally in the wrong direction, but that doesn't bother me since I can immediately tap again and get it to fly where I wanted.

Definitely worth $20! I can see this one keeping me up very late at night.

Beat the game last night. It was ridiculously easy, after the initial curve. I mined for the best ship early in the game, and outfitted it with EM net, HUD display, and the Disruption tech that prevents enemy shields from regenerating. After that there was no ship that came close to giving me any kind of trouble!

Worth $20 though.

bread's done
Back