Puzzled about PS1 game bought from Amazon Warehouse

kk012

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last week I bought Star Ocean: The Second Story for PS1 from Amazon Warehouse, which was listed as "like new." I just got this game today in the mail and noticed the giant black center rings for both discs. The black even partially covers the top part of the word "Disc" on both game discs. I noticed that some, but not all current Ebay auctions with pictures of these game discs have this black ring on them. Is it normal for this game to have these black rings on the disc? I'd really appreciate it if anyone who owns or has owned this game would let me know if their copy has these black rings. Thanks so much!

SOSSdisc1.jpg

SOSSdisc2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are like that too. I think they might be remnants of former rental labels of some sort. Maybe it was some weird thing that if you tried to peel it off it left that ugly dark ring around the center. I can definitely see some rental places doing that.

But I don't know for sure.

I'd say they were manufactured that way; I got my copy new and sealed when it first came out. I can still see the underlying pattern underneath, so I'm guessing that for whatever reason they just printed the inner ring darker (or pressed it differently).

Also, when's the last time you saw a rental place putting a sticker on the inner ring? All I've ever seen are ugly square sticker jobs on the outskirts of the disc surface...

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']My still-minty-fresh copy doesn't have those rings, for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Two different printings, perhaps?

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']
Also, when's the last time you saw a rental place putting a sticker on the inner ring? All I've ever seen are ugly square sticker jobs on the outskirts of the disc surface...[/QUOTE]

I actually see it on the inner ring all the time, but usually those stickers are the silver ones, and when you peel them off they'll leave letters behind like, VOID and so on, so it's not completely far fetched that it could have been a rental thing. But since you've bought a new one that came like that, I guess that's out the window. For the record though, there used to be a lot of rental places that stuck in on the inner ring instead of on the outside.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Also, when's the last time you saw a rental place putting a sticker on the inner ring?[/QUOTE]

The last time I rented something.

The copy I bought eons ago had that centric black circle that cuts out the top of "Disc 1" and "Disc 2," along with the bottom portions of "The" in "Star Ocean - [the] Second Story"

there was actually two printings of the star ocean game. I believe one of the printing with the smoother label texture had the black ring, and other printing (with the more vibrant color and rougher texture on the disc) didn't have the black ring.

I looked it up on the internet somewhere before when I had 2 copies of star ocean :roll:

bread's done
Back