PyroGamer's Xbox 360 GotY Awards

PyroGamer

Banned
Genre Awards

Shooter
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Call of Duty 4 has raised the bar for the entire genre. Taking the intense, Cinematic gameplay of the Call of Duty series and absolutely perfecting it, Call of Duty 4 perfects the genre as much as it innovates. In six hours, Call of Duty 4 does more than most games do in entire trilogies. Infinity Ward is going to have a hard time living up to this one with Call of Duty 5... 6... whatever. You know what I'm fucking talking about. The next real Call of Duty.

Platformer
Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Sports
Madden NFL 08

Racing
DiRT

Fighter
Virtua Fighter 5

JRPG
Eternal Sonata

Why didn't this game sell 360's in Japan? The title is fantastic, with warm characters to attach to, a mature but charming storyline, and innovative, intense, exciting combat.

RPG (non JRPG)
Mass Effect

Arcade Title
Super Puzzle Fighter HD

So addicting.

Puzzle
Puzzle Quest

So addicting. D3 is a runner-up for best publisher of the year. The titles they put out are always innovative, high quality, exciting, and affordable.

Rythymn/Music
Rock Band

Flight
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation

For Fun Awards

Letdown of the Year
Assassin's Creed

Most Underrated
Eternal Sonata

Outstanding Design Award
Portal

Portal is a game you could easily give Best Puzzler, Best Story, Funniest, Most Innovative, Best Voice Acting, Best FPS, and GotY... hell, even Best Soundtrack, and nobody could argue with you. It truly is in a league of its own.

Best Story
BioShock

Best Atmosphere
BioShock

BioShock is the best Rand-influenced dystopian First Person Shooter I've ever played.

Best Characters
Half Life 2: Episode 2

Fact: Alyx Vance is the best videogame character of all time.

Best Cheapass Deal
The Orange Box

You'll notice Orange Box didn't win any other awards. That's because it's not a game. It's a collection of Five of the best games ever. For $60. 'nuff said.

Game We Wished was Available in the States
Lost Odyssey

Cinematic Experience

Multiplayer
Team Fortress 2

Game That Desperately Needs DLC
Team Fortress 2

Okay, so I should feel ashamed for giving TF2 multiplayer award. It was laggy and unplayable until the patch, and the map selection is infinitesimal. But I like it, so screw off.

Best DLC
The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles

Best Accessory
120 GB Hard Drive

Worst Accessory
Halo 3 Fugly Controllers

Publisher of the Year
Activision

Games of the Year

Best Game - Spring 2007
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Runner up:
Crackdown

Best Game - Summer 2007
BioShock

Best Game - Fall 2007
Portal

Best Game - Winter 2007

Game of the Year - Overall

I'm just glad to see mass effeect on your list.

Isn't CoD5 being made by Treyarc? I thought they switch off every year with infinity ward to keep them coming yearly?

Best Flight game? What was there, Ace Combat and Blazing Angels?

Best Multiplayer is and should be Rock Band.

JRPG
Eternal Sonata

Why didn't this game sell 360's in Japan? The title is fantastic, with warm characters to attach to, a mature but charming storyline, and innovative, intense, exciting combat.

Good point. I have no idea. I hate to say it, but I don't think any 360 exclusive JRPG will do well in Japan, simply because it's a 360 title. No matter how utterly fantastic it is, it will get ignored.

[quote name='guyver2077']so you just felt like sharing what you thought were the big games of 07?[/quote]
and a mediocre one from 06. ;) (but that got fixed)

Pyro is always right in what he says though, so I agree with his list whole heartedly.

[quote name='TFN']Okay.

Tomb Raider: Legend came out in April 06.
[/quote]

He may have edited it since you posted, but it does say Tomb Raider: Anniversary now, which did come out this year.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']this is the part where i stopped reading

:)[/quote]

I don't know, they did increase the fun factor of the game by toughening the difficulty. They also finally brought Fantasy Draft to the 360 version which sold me. However, the turnovers sucked nuts.

[quote name='mvp828']He may have edited it since you posted, but it does say Tomb Raider: Anniversary now, which did come out this year.

I don't know, they did increase the fun factor of the game by toughening the difficulty. They also finally brought Fantasy Draft to the 360 version which sold me. However, the turnovers sucked nuts.[/QUOTE]

i don't hate 08... and i'm just kidding Pyro

but i definitely don't give Madden this years sports GOTY

i would rate NBA2k8 and even NCAA 08 over Madden

but that's just preference

i'm Maddened out for a while

Best Story
BioShock

Not entirely sure of the reason for the post, if it's meant to spur discussion over GOTY games or just be a 'Hey, look at me' sort of deal, but Bioshock as best story? Most convoluted possibly.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Best Story
BioShock

Not entirely sure of the reason for the post, if it's meant to spur discussion over GOTY games or just be a 'Hey, look at me' sort of deal, but Bioshock as best story? Most convoluted possibly.[/QUOTE]

i have yet to play Mass Effect

but at least they really tried with Bioshock

they did rely a little TOO heavily on that one big reveal

but for the games i played this year, Bioshock had the best story by far

that's not saying a lot these days, but hey..... :)

i say Bioshock should be nominated for best screenplay but win for best set design, costumes and special effects.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']i have yet to play Mass Effect

but at least they really tried with Bioshock

they did rely a little TOO heavily on that one big reveal

but for the games i played this year, Bioshock had the best story by far

that's not saying a lot these days, but hey..... :)

i say Bioshock should be nominated for best screenplay but win for best set design, costumes and special effects.[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect's story is great.

Bioshock definantly has some of the best atmosphere in any game.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Mass Effect's story is great.

Bioshock definantly has some of the best atmosphere in any game.[/QUOTE]

music and sound is top notch too... which added a lot

blasting the crap outta splicers then having everything go quiet except for that music was always cool

[quote name='PKRipp3r']

i would rate NBA2k8 and even NCAA 08 over Madden

but that's just preference

i'm Maddened out for a while[/quote]

I can unterstand the NBA 2k8 statement. It is definitely a good game year in and year out.

I guess I would say a tie between Madden and 2k8

[quote name='mvp828']I can unterstand the NBA 2k8 statement. It is definitely a good game year in and year out.

I guess I would say a tie between Madden and 2k8[/QUOTE]

can't argue

my leaning towards NCAA is just that i'm tired of the whole Madden brand, i guess...

so playing NCAA is just like having Madden w/out all the actual Madden in there

haha

sort of....

Best Story or not, I really have to say that I loved the voice acting in Bioshock. I thought that whoever voiced Andrew Ryan was perfect and was superbly cast for that role. It really contributed to the atmosphere of the story.

Sports
Madden NFL 08

I know what a opinion is but... Farooq: DAMN! NHL 08 has expanded every single boundary in a sports game, it should have easily topped this. Hell, All Pro 2k8 was more enjoyable then Madden 08.

Everything else is pretty spot on. Some people will say Halo 3 is better then COD4 multiplayer, or that Team Fortress is better but overall COD4 seems to get the nod more then anyone else, and It's actually starting to show in sales to, so hopefully Ifinity Ward gets the respect they deserve.

[quote name='mvp828']He may have edited it since you posted, but it does say Tomb Raider: Anniversary now, which did come out this year.

I don't know, they did increase the fun factor of the game by toughening the difficulty. They also finally brought Fantasy Draft to the 360 version which sold me. However, the turnovers sucked nuts.[/quote]

Does Madden 08 have the ability to shorten quarter lengths on the 360? For some reason, despite having it in every single Madden game ever, once EA brought the series to the 360 they took that feature out :roll:

I really cannot put Eternal Sonata above Blue Dragon. I SHOULD like it. It is a beautiful game and the story is nothing if not unique, but it just bores me for some reason. I like the combat system, yet I groan everytime I get into a combat. I can't explain why really. The game just seems to be lacking that mysterious fun factor.

The only thing i disagree with is Dirt being the best racer, Forza is definitely better. Other then that agree the rest especially the TF2 for multiplayer and Downloadable content.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Not entirely sure of the reason for the post.[/QUOTE]
"A man chooses" is up there with the very best moments in any videogame. If you want to bring up Mass Effect, "A man chooses" is up there with the big reveal in KotoR... maybe better, since I didn't see it coming.

Some of the audiodiary storylines were even better.

The way the story is delivered is as important to the quality of the story as the quality of writing is. And BioShock did it superbly.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Sports
Madden NFL 08

I know what a opinion is but... Farooq: DAMN! NHL 08 has expanded every single boundary in a sports game, it should have easily topped this.[/quote]My apologies, I didn't play NHL 08. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it.

Pyrogamer, could you please answer my question about Madden 08? Thank you.

[quote name='Rozz']Does Madden 08 have the ability to shorten quarter lengths on the 360? For some reason, despite having it in every single Madden game ever, once EA brought the series to the 360 they took that feature out :roll:[/QUOTE]
Don't know about 07, but you can in Madden 08. It's under gameplay settings "game rules".

Stop your love-fest with Portal and Team Fortress 2 and put Halo 3 on the list...

And NHL 08 is the sports game of the year for the system. It's the best hockey game since NHL 94. College Hoops and NBA 2K8 are right behind it.

[quote name='Unickuta']Stop your love-fest with Portal and Team Fortress 2 and put Halo 3 on the list...

And NHL 08 is the sports game of the year for the system. It's the best hockey game since NHL 94. College Hoops and NBA 2K8 are right behind it.[/quote]

Compared to everything else and the Hype Machine that fueled Halo 3 (Which was Also fueled by Mountain Dew!...DO THE DEW!) Halo 3 was one of the biggest Dissapointments of the year....Promising so much...and giving only so little. Sure the Forge and theatre options are nice, but for Casual gamers its just extra features that'll never be used....Also...Storyline wise and Single Player wise...Portal Kills Halo 3 ten thousand times over.

[quote name='guyver2077']so you just felt like sharing what you thought were the big games of 07?[/QUOTE]
THE HORROR

I don't agree with a lot of them but they aren't worth arguing since most of the games are quality. I will say Best Arcade Title being
Super Puzzle Fighter HD is pretty screwy though. "Fact: Alyx Vance is the best videogame character of all time" is bait I don't feel like taking.

[quote name='KaneRobot'] "Fact: Alyx Vance is the best videogame character of all time" is bait I don't feel like taking.[/QUOTE]

i mean... right off the top of my head...

the Red Dragon in Adventure

115581_45.jpg

let's just start there

i love the orange box too, but tf2 is definitely not the best part of the set, nor the best overall mp experience. interestingly enough, i think cod4 has far greater multiplayer even though i hate the single player. Cod4 really didn't bring anything that original to gaming and that is why i wouldn't consider it worthy of goty. I think that goty should be between Bioshock and Mass Effect. But, for my money, Bioshock wins by a long shot... great story, ambiance... just overall great experience. Unfortunately, it's not a bit replayable, so i can see why people would choose otherwise.

Nice list.

So would you say Bioshock is the Citizen Kane of Rand-influenced dystopian First Person Shooters? (Sorry couldn't resist :) )

[quote name='wubb']So would you say Bioshock is the Citizen Kane of Rand-influenced dystopian First Person Shooters? (Sorry couldn't resist :) )[/QUOTE]
It's the Metropolis of Randian, dystopian, First Person Shooters.

[quote name='Unickuta']Stop your love-fest with Portal and Team Fortress 2 and put Halo 3 on the list...

And NHL 08 is the sports game of the year for the system. It's the best hockey game since NHL 94. College Hoops and NBA 2K8 are right behind it.[/quote]

NHL 95 is far superior to NHL 94. Granted, it wasn't feature in Swingers, but it's still much better.

fifa 08 is the best hands down sports game of the year. What an experience. Madden is great and all but fifa was revolutionary in its gameplay.

[quote name='PyroGamer']"A man chooses" is up there with the very best moments in any videogame. If you want to bring up Mass Effect, "A man chooses" is up there with the big reveal in KotoR... maybe better, since I didn't see it coming.

Some of the audiodiary storylines were even better.

The way the story is delivered is as important to the quality of the story as the quality of writing is. And BioShock did it superbly.

My apologies, I didn't play NHL 08. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it.[/QUOTE]

A well delivered pile of crap is still a pile of crap. No amount of parsley makes it a gourmet dinner. The more you think about Bioshock's story the more it falls apart. The big reveal in KOTOR was very well done and made sense to the rest of the story.
The reveal in Bioshock is probably the worst assasination plan in well, ever. It was like the plot was designed by Rube Goldberg after smoking crack. Like the philosophy in the game, it's great on the surface but falls apart if you spend even a minute thinking about it.

But that's my opinion. Great atmosphere, great gameplay, stupid plot twist.

You said it was the best story in a game of the last year, not the best delivery of a story. As far as quality and delivery are concerned, I still believe that Mass Effect does it better.

[quote name='whiptcracker']A well delivered pile of crap is still a pile of crap. No amount of parsley makes it a gourmet dinner. The more you think about Bioshock's story the more it falls apart. The big reveal in KOTOR was very well done and made sense to the rest of the story. The reveal in Bioshock is probably the worst assasination plan in well, ever. It was like the plot was designed by Rube Goldberg after smoking crack. Like the philosophy in the game, it's great on the surface but falls apart if you spend even a minute thinking about it.

But that's my opinion. Great atmosphere, great gameplay, stupid plot twist.

You said it was the best story in a game of the last year, not the best delivery of a story. As far as quality and delivery are concerned, I still believe that Mass Effect does it better.[/quote]
I tend to agree, But up untill i started researching it further I never saw the
connection to Ryan and Jack and it should have stayed that way.

I was under the assumption that Fontaine has some sort of Psychic Hypnosis going on, which explains why he was so eaily able to tear apart Ryan's metropolis and turning the people against him, otherwise the whole riot against ryan doesnt seem to make much sense.

Although the Reveal of "Would you kindly?" was particully chilling, although i could have done without the whole "Illegitamate child + Dead hooker + fucked up science fiction = OMG NO WAY!" It felt like they were using one of the failed fidel castro Asassination Plans from the 50's.
How do all of you feel about a Planned Sequal?

I feel that there are major spoilers that should have been tagged as such in that last post...and a sequel should definitely happen.

I think a sequel is a great thing. Very fun game and I'd like to see how they would improve on what they've already established.

But maybe hide some of that behind a spoiler joe. I need to edit mine as well.

[quote name='pittpizza']I feel that there are major spoilers that should have been tagged as such in that last post...and a sequel should definitely happen.[/QUOTE]

agree, that should be spoilerized, but it was a good rundown of the meat of Bioshock's plot points.

i'll take a sequel or a prequel as long as it has online multiplayer and/or co-op.

bread's done
Back