Qriocity Music Unlimited

Well, looks like inputting a Sears MC Gift card did not work as payment.. lol it said the address wasn't valid. :(

[quote name='GTmaster39']This is part of their experiment that they started to roll out in Australia a few weeks ago. This should be coming out for the PC as well as Android devices but from what I understand they're trying to pull away from iTunes little by little and this is the first sign of it. Very interesting.

http://www.sony.com.au/pressrelease/asset/438144/section/consumerproductspressreleases[/QUOTE]

Where do you get the impression that they're pulling away from iTunes? I don't think one has to do with the other. I'm pretty sure they get much of their revenue from itunes

iTunes is an entirely diff beast man. I'm not gonna get into it. iTunes has a lot of record labels by the balls right now, including Apple taking 30% of every sale. They just want their own iTunes experience without having give music to iTunes first, which by contract are obligated to do. They talked about it on This Week in Tech the other day.

I didn't say they where pulling out of iTunes for good. That's a huge market for them that I know for a fact anyone leaving would be a fool. But you can't blame Sony for not wanting Apple to take 30%.

So it was all conjecture on your part then? Because this new service has Nothing to do with iTunes. Do you have a link of where Apple is taking 30% from music downloads. I heard they're doing that with otther services lately found in the app store (netflix, rhapsody, etc..), but I didn't hear about music in iTunes being included, unless that's the percentage it's always been at.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So it was all conjecture on your part then? Because this new service has Nothing to do with iTunes. Do you have a link of where Apple is taking 30% from music downloads. I heard they're doing that with otther services lately found in the app store (netflix, rhapsody, etc..), but I didn't hear about music in iTunes being included, unless that's the percentage it's always been at.[/QUOTE]

Whatever man. lol. You're just looking for a fight.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So it was all conjecture on your part then? Because this new service has Nothing to do with iTunes. Do you have a link of where Apple is taking 30% from music downloads. I heard they're doing that with otther services lately found in the app store (netflix, rhapsody, etc..), but I didn't hear about music in iTunes being included, unless that's the percentage it's always been at.[/QUOTE]

They're taking 30% of music subscriptions through the ipad & iphone apps, but not individual songs. I think I have that right.

[quote name='Scorch']They're taking 30% of music subscriptions through the ipad & iphone apps, but not individual songs. I think I have that right.[/QUOTE]

Yep that's what I read too. I know Rhapsody is upset about it and will be pulling out, but Sony is not being affected directed by this new policy by Apple.

The bottom line is: Sony isn't crazy enough to think Music Unlimited is a viable alternative to iTunes. It's just an additional source of income for their existing library of music, that's it. I don't think it will ever really take off though. I think the basic service should have been completely free just like Pandora, Slacker, and many others with similar offerings. It could have been ad-supported even; that's better than trying to get people to pay $4 a month for something people can get for free.

Even their premium service seems silly when you consider something like Grooveshark (check it out if you haven't)

I looked at it the other night. Thought about signing up but with last.fm being free on the 360, couldn't convince myself that I needed another streaming music app that wasn't free. And with a ton of music on my PS3's hard drive, I see this as something I will never use. When this goes live for the PSP, I might reconsider...but probably not since I usually just use the free Internet Radio they have on there for music.

[quote name='mitch079']I looked at it the other night. Thought about signing up but with last.fm being free on the 360, couldn't convince myself that I needed another streaming music app that wasn't free. And with a ton of music on my PS3's hard drive, I see this as something I will never use. When this goes live for the PSP, I might reconsider...but probably not since I usually just use the free Internet Radio they have on there for music.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I never understood why they just didn't port the Internet Radio, or RSS Feeds, or even Skype for that matter to PS3 XMB. You'd think it's a no brainer, since PS3 is pretty much always online.

Sony is pretty retarded when it comes to PS3-PSP integration. The potential there is HUGE and would sell more of both systems but every feature that can be shared are not taken advantage of. Remote Play is one of the coolest things about having a PS3 and a PSP but it's underused and only goes in one direction (from PS3-->PSP). They also don't have a Comic book app on the PS3 like they do on the PSP (yes the comics can be scaled to the PS3) despite demands for it, and the other stuff mentioned above.

I wish I made the decisions at Sony, I'd set up an amazing ecosystem.

bread's done
Back