Quake Live Open Beta

I was able to register tonight. There were 10K people infront of me but I just surfed while it eventually got to me. Too bad my company firewall killed my game half way into the training level. I'll have to give it another shot later.

This queue thing is stupid. If they weren't ready to handle the load of an open beta, they should've kept letting more people into the closed beta until they were.

Only 8023 more people to go!

I remember playing the hell out of this game back in the day. It must have been 5 years ago since the last time I played this. The only other game with multiplayer as addictive was Starcraft.

Everyone post your usernames. Maybe we can start up a CAG clan. Mine is xcletus.

Yeah, I'm also pretty sure that the bot changes skill level during the match depending on how you're doing.

What e-mail accounts were you guys using to register for the beta?

It's been about 15 hrs and still no e-mail in the hotmail account I used. Not in my junk either and I've hit the re-send button about 6 more times since last night.

I used my Gmail account, but I can't recall why. Looking at my behavior in the past, I normally only use my Gmail account when some place doesn't accept Hotmail... so that may be your problem. But maybe not if you weren't told outright that they don't accept Hotmail.

I just checked their forums, and there's a big thread dedicated to the same problem I'm having and people have had problems with all 3 big accounts, yahoo, gmail and hotmail.

Speaking of that obstacle course, I did the rocket jump easy enough but couldn't figure out the next part. How do I run fast enough to get through that door?

I played some CTF and TDM today. Wow that brought back memories. I remember staying up until 3 in the morning playing Quake 3 back in the day. It is just as fun now as it was 5 years ago. Looks like the site is currently down so I'll try to play some more tomorrow. It sucks that as an adult I don't have the free time to waste on games anymore. To bad I can't quit my job and just never leave my computer.

I got the email in about 5 minutes using my mail.com spam account. Maybe you can create a account there and try again?

[quote name='cletus']Speaking of that obstacle course, I did the rocket jump easy enough but couldn't figure out the next part. How do I run fast enough to get through that door?

I played some CTF and TDM today. Wow that brought back memories. I remember staying up until 3 in the morning playing Quake 3 back in the day. It is just as fun now as it was 5 years ago. Looks like the site is currently down so I'll try to play some more tomorrow. It sucks that as an adult I don't have the free time to waste on games anymore. To bad I can't quit my job and just never leave my computer.

I got the email in about 5 minutes using my mail.com spam account. Maybe you can create a account there and try again?[/quote]

You're got to strafe jump to be able to make it to the end before the doors close.

Yeah, the email servers were getting over loaded and the messages are sitting in their queues, waiting to be relayed over to the email boxes.

Yes, strafe jump. It helps if you start going off a good rocket jump, too. But just remember, these obstacles are to test your skill level for placement. If you do the last challenge you'll be in the top tier. You can always re-test later if you get better.

Oh, here you go. About confirmation e-mails, this is from their news update:

Email Delivery
Another issue with having a huge influx of players registering is sending the confirmation emails. We've seen reports of players waiting several hours for your confirmation email. What happens here is that when we send massive amounts of email, the mail providers like gmail and yahoo (two of the most popular for our players) throttle the amount of mail that they will let us send through their system. So, our system has sent your emails, but they are basically sitting in their own queue and released to you as your mail provider sees fit. These problems will improve after the initial rush of unregistered players, and we will continue to improve that system.

My brother told me he was having issues playing yesterday but I registered, logged in (e mail confirmation was in my junk folder) and was playing in a matter of minutes tonight. Definitely fun and worth the price of admission (the Dell Xps ads).

I haven't completely lost my skills but I am still pretty bad at this now. I can get kills off newbies easy enough but playing against good people I can't seem to get a single kill. I'll have to try to devote more time on weekends.

I'm not sure what all the complaining is about. I've had very few problems so far. It usually take 5 - 10 minutes to wait in the queue and that's all. Once I get in I can immediately start playing. There are plenty of servers and people and my ping is always low.

There are a few weapons I haven't seen before. There's a nailgun which is so slow it's almost worthless. There's a minigun which seems to be a weaker version of the machinegun. There might be a few more I can't think of now. I saw some new powerups too but I don't know what they do yet.

[quote name='cletus']There are a few weapons I haven't seen before. There's a nailgun which is so slow it's almost worthless. There's a minigun which seems to be a weaker version of the machinegun. There might be a few more I can't think of now. I saw some new powerups too but I don't know what they do yet.[/QUOTE]
Those are from the Team Arena expansion. I think you only see them in team games.

I'm gonna keep posting in this thread until we get enough interest to start a CAG clan. If we can have a Starcraft sticky then we can hopefully sticky this too.

I don't have the nausea issue with this game as with other FPS'. Granted I've only been playing a few hours here and there but still. I usually can't play FPS because I get sick after a while and have to stop (can't play Fallout 3 :( ). Not so with this game. I am still no as good as I like to be. I think I need to work on my dodging and footwork.

If you get nausea from the headbob you can turn it off. You can make auto executables just like with other Quake games, but the console is restricted a bit at first. CTRL ALT ~ will bring it down, then do a com_allowconsole 1 and then writeconfig autoexec and you'll now be able to bring down console with just ~. cg_bob 0 to turn off headbob, then do the writeconfig command again.

There's a couple great threads in the Getting Started QL forum with a list of cvars and what they do.

You go to "friends" and then click "search & invite".

Or do you mean how do you join their game? I'm pretty sure you just click on their name or icon.

bread's done
Back