Quantum Theory demo impressions thread

ninja dog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Just downloaded and played through this.

Seems pretty solid. It's sort of a Gears clone, but without the overly long chainsaw animations and a much better story. Seems like a pretty awesome premise and there's some pretty deep potential with the interactions between your character and the girl. I hope they don't kill her like Aeris ^__^;;;

The melee combat is pretty awesome. Unlike Gears, it's not just a one hit kill if you get close to a guy. They also don't keep firing on you so much that you can't run over and hit them. But there's lots of cover so you can play that way too. It's kinda cool how the zones work. Like I thought I had killed all the guys, then I backtracked and found one straggler behind cover and I had to kill him to advance-- it's like the enemies are afraid of me! That was a pretty awesome moment in the demo and I hope there's more stuff like that.

It's a pretty strong effort and I'm glad a Japanese company is taking on a Western genre. If it keeps up like this, they could probably claim the genre for their own! I know Vanquish is doing something similar, but they threw in too much crazy stuff and it was too hard, so I'm probably gonna get this over it. Might get it day 1.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? :)

[quote name='ninja dog']Anyway, what does everyone else think? :)[/QUOTE]
It's been on my radar ever since TGS last year. Of course, then I thought it'd have co-op. All the latest indications seem to be that there isn't two-player co-op. I'll play pretty much any PS3 game that has split-screen co-op. So yeah, a bit of a disappointment there. Bad thing about foreign developers -- stuff gets lost in translation. All the early interviews had the developers talking about how they were going to bring all kinds of novel co-op gameplay ideas to the table -- turns out they were just talking about single-player co-op (with your AI partner).

There's a site that's claimed that Official Xbox Magainze has reviewed the Xbox version (with poor results), but there's no source, and it's not on the OXM website, so who knows.

So when did the demo come out for this? I've been keeping my eye on this game for a while. Though, I don't think I'll be able to buy it this year...

[quote name='jh6269']So when did the demo come out for this?[/QUOTE]
Yesterday. I'm hearing from some different sites that a lot of people's impressions of it aren't that great. Has anyone tried the Vanquish demo? I'm hearing a lot of "if you want this, but better, try the Vanquish demo". Who knows.

Vanquish was pretty damn cool, kinda like a faster-paced GOW and it has a great visual style (although after seeing that sweet live action trailer they showed last year I was kinda dissapointed to see the acting was rather corny and anime-ish). I'm going to download QT later today and see what it's like, although my expectations are kind of low, alot of impressions on the game seem to imply that it's a little sloppy, but I guess we'll see.

[quote name='ninja dog']Just downloaded and played through this.

Seems pretty solid. It's sort of a Gears clone, but without the overly long chainsaw animations and a much better story. Seems like a pretty awesome premise and there's some pretty deep potential with the interactions between your character and the girl. I hope they don't kill her like Aeris ^__^;;;

The melee combat is pretty awesome. Unlike Gears, it's not just a one hit kill if you get close to a guy. They also don't keep firing on you so much that you can't run over and hit them. But there's lots of cover so you can play that way too. It's kinda cool how the zones work. Like I thought I had killed all the guys, then I backtracked and found one straggler behind cover and I had to kill him to advance-- it's like the enemies are afraid of me! That was a pretty awesome moment in the demo and I hope there's more stuff like that.

It's a pretty strong effort and I'm glad a Japanese company is taking on a Western genre. If it keeps up like this, they could probably claim the genre for their own! I know Vanquish is doing something similar, but they threw in too much crazy stuff and it was too hard, so I'm probably gonna get this over it. Might get it day 1.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? :)[/QUOTE]

You need to go into writing game reviews you are so good at it.

vanquish demo was hard? i thought it was pretty easy. although i didnt like how you basically didnt have a jump button.

ill try this demo out but i dont have high hopes since tecmo really isnt known for backing good games. haha.

It was alright. I would've liked a bit more explanation on how the weapon system worked, as I understand it, I can't choose which weapon to drop when I pick up something new, which is a bit of a bummer. The main character was a bit tough to maneuver, which was a big headache in CQC. I liked the mechanic with the girl and the story sounds like it could get interesting (competing factions within the tower and the fact that you and your ally have opposing goals). I would have also liked for the demo to show off the tower a bit more. The trailers made the "living tower" aspect seem really cool.

As it stands, I might pick it up when it drops below $30.

I'll download this now and edit in impressions afterward.

And Vanquish was awful. Very pretty though. It apparently won over plenty of CAGs though so maybe I just don't have good taste in cover based shooters and shoot-the-big-weak-spot bosses.

EDIT: Oh my word QT is shitty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally forgot about the holiday. Felt like Monday yesterday.

Too bad this didn't come out like 3 or 4 months ago... Now I have no more cash or time for the rest of the year.

that demo was pretty MEH. its a gamestop rental.

i see theres going to be online deathmatch for this game too. i can pretty much guarantee thats going to be a clusterfuck already.

hated-it.jpg

[quote name='panzerfaust']

EDIT: Oh my word QT is shitty.[/QUOTE]
This made me laugh, it makes it sound like you're some top hot wearing monacled tea drinker [stereotypes run wild I guess]
Anyway the trailer looked like coocoo on a stick, so unless this game does something to stand out I'll pass

Oh man, this game is crappy. It feels even more sluggish than Gears, the graphics weren't so good either (which tends to be the saving grace of these kind of games).

So it's definitely Vanquish for me

[quote name='mightymek']I checked out the Quantum Theory demo last night, I didn't like it at all.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='erequena']Oh man, this game is crappy. It feels even more sluggish than Gears, the graphics weren't so good either (which tends to be the saving grace of these kind of games).

So it's definitely Vanquish for me[/QUOTE]

[quote name='StillFree']
hated-it.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='8bitArtist']that demo was pretty MEH. its a gamestop rental.

i see theres going to be online deathmatch for this game too. i can pretty much guarantee thats going to be a clusterfuck already.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='panzerfaust']
EDIT: Oh my word QT is shitty.[/QUOTE]

Yep, here are the 360 fanboys! Why don't you guys try a little harder to hide yourselves next time? I can tell from the stench of desperation emanating from your FPS-encrusted pores that you're intimidated by the idea of the one-two punch of a Japanese developed third person shooter absolutely OWNING gears on the PS3. You've enjoyed your little time at the top, but during that time, Tecmo-Koei was handcrafting a TPS on a little island in the East called Japan aka the birthplace of video games. It might seem harsh that they had to one-up Epic at their own game, but it's only natural to return the crown to its rightful owners. Maybe if Epic tries a little harder next time and adds some depth to their game, instead of just throwing a testosterone-fueled steroid party that overheats your brittle 360's motherboard, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. What does GOW3 even offer? Oh, wow, you get to play as some blonde with tits. Great. Can you even throw her at anything? She's useless and is just there to give all the gamers little angry swollen boners while they live out fantasies of masculinity via wireless controller and TV screen. I guess the game has the advantage of coming out after QT, so that it can grab some "me too" sales before any other wanna-bes show up. Some serendipitous luck on their part that coincided with their compulsion to make yet another sequel. But we all know Quantum Theory is the future of TPS and it took little more than this demo to convince me of that.

Full review coming when the game hits. PEACE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a PS3...this game was very generic and boring. Slow paced and not graphically superior to anything else out there. I also thought Vanquish was meh, but at least it was pretty.

[quote name='ninja dog']Yep, here are the 360 fanboys! Why don't you guys try a little harder to hide yourselves next time? I can tell from the stench of desperation emanating from your FPS-encrusted pores that you're intimidated by the idea of the one-two punch of a Japanese developed third person shooter absolutely OWNING gears on the PS3. You've enjoyed your little time at the top, but during that time, Tecmo-Koei was handcrafting a TPS on a little island in the East called Japan aka the birthplace of video games. It might seem harsh that they had to one-up Epic at their own game, but it's only natural to return the crown to its rightful owners. Maybe if Epic tries a little harder next time and adds some depth to their game, instead of just throwing a testosterone-fueled steroid party that overheats your brittle 360's motherboard, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. What does GOW3 even offer? Oh, wow, you get to play as some blonde with tits. Great. Can you even throw her at anything? She's useless and is just there to give all the gamers little angry swollen boners while they live out fantasies of masculinity via wireless controller and TV screen. I guess the game has the advantage of coming out after QT, so that it can grab some "me too" sales before any other wanna-bes show up. Some serendipitous luck on their part that coincided with their compulsion to make yet another sequel. But we all know Quantum Theory is the future of TPS and it took little more than this demo to convince me of that.

Full review coming when the game hits. PEACE.[/QUOTE]

Given your history, I really can't tell if you're being serious or not.

[quote name='ninja dog']Yep, here are the 360 fanboys![/QUOTE]

That's ... a joke, right?

[quote name='ninja dog']Oh, wow, you get to play as some blonde with tits. Great. Can you even throw her at anything?[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay, I get it. *Phew!*

[quote name='wrencrest']I only have a PS3...this game was very generic and boring. Slow paced and not graphically superior to anything else out there. I also thought Vanquish was meh, but at least it was pretty.[/QUOTE]

man I was hoping this game was going to be decent, but you're right... bland, very generic and BORING! This made playing demos a pure chore. Vanquish, is ALMOST there, it's just missing something that can make it a bit more exciting. WIth vanquish it could be a case of "good game bad demo" but with Quantum Theory its just a bad game, not bad, but boring.

[quote name='ninja dog']Yep, here are the 360 fanboys! Why don't you guys try a little harder to hide yourselves next time? I can tell from the stench of desperation emanating from your FPS-encrusted pores that you're intimidated by the idea of the one-two punch of a Japanese developed third person shooter absolutely OWNING gears on the PS3. You've enjoyed your little time at the top, but during that time, Tecmo-Koei was handcrafting a TPS on a little island in the East called Japan aka the birthplace of video games. It might seem harsh that they had to one-up Epic at their own game, but it's only natural to return the crown to its rightful owners. Maybe if Epic tries a little harder next time and adds some depth to their game, instead of just throwing a testosterone-fueled steroid party that overheats your brittle 360's motherboard, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. What does GOW3 even offer? Oh, wow, you get to play as some blonde with tits. Great. Can you even throw her at anything? She's useless and is just there to give all the gamers little angry swollen boners while they live out fantasies of masculinity via wireless controller and TV screen. I guess the game has the advantage of coming out after QT, so that it can grab some "me too" sales before any other wanna-bes show up. Some serendipitous luck on their part that coincided with their compulsion to make yet another sequel. But we all know Quantum Theory is the future of TPS and it took little more than this demo to convince me of that.

This game is not good, that has nothing to do with any fanboyism. The developers of QT need to stop the development of this game. Just stop right now before they finish it. Go back and Play through Gears of War 1, complete the game, then go and play Gears of War 2, complete the game and then come back and play this mess. Then go back to the table and create the game.

I wanted this demo to be good but it was NO GOOD. It was on my maybe buy list but now there is no way. It will be a sub $20 purchase price for me.

Yep, here are the 360 fanboys! Why don't you guys try a little harder to hide yourselves next time? I can tell from the stench of desperation emanating from your FPS-encrusted pores that you're intimidated by the idea of the one-two punch of a Japanese developed third person shooter absolutely OWNING gears on the PS3. You've enjoyed your little time at the top, but during that time, Tecmo-Koei was handcrafting a TPS on a little island in the East called Japan aka the birthplace of video games. It might seem harsh that they had to one-up Epic at their own game, but it's only natural to return the crown to its rightful owners. Maybe if Epic tries a little harder next time and adds some depth to their game, instead of just throwing a testosterone-fueled steroid party that overheats your brittle 360's motherboard, this kind of thing wouldn't happen. What does GOW3 even offer? Oh, wow, you get to play as some blonde with tits. Great. Can you even throw her at anything? She's useless and is just there to give all the gamers little angry swollen boners while they live out fantasies of masculinity via wireless controller and TV screen. I guess the game has the advantage of coming out after QT, so that it can grab some "me too" sales before any other wanna-bes show up. Some serendipitous luck on their part that coincided with their compulsion to make yet another sequel. But we all know Quantum Theory is the future of TPS and it took little more than this demo to convince me of that.

Full review coming when the game hits. PEACE.

yeah I really hope thats a joke.. almost as big of one as this game. I had high hopes.. its failed.

Detta, if you need anytone to run through Gears 2 with you for coop acheivements lemm eknow, been wanting to go through it again and am missing only level 5-1 in coppe to get the complete game and complete all in coop

I will Dl the demo tonight and see how it goes.
I will come back and give an honest (i own every console) review.
I hope i like.

I'm rather disappointed by this game, not to say that my expectations were all that high I didn't really find anything here that Gears didn't do better, although the throwing mechanic was kinda cool.
It doesn't seem as though two-player co-op will be a possibility either, and I wasn't really happy with the fact that you didn't seem to have access to grenades. Also, the way the enemies burst like bubbles was rather unsatisfying.

[quote name='ninja dog']Yep, here are the 360 fanboys![/QUOTE]

You do know that Quantum Theory is arriving in all of its Majestic Glory on 360 as well? Though I'll be playing it on my PS3, since it's better and Japanese games should be enjoyed on a Japanese system, at least now 360 fanboys can also experience the Game of this Generation, albeit in an inferior form.

Can't wait to play QT Deathmatch with you! \\:D/

BTW, make sure you preorder from Gamestop, my favorite place to buy all of my games. Peep this shit, yo.

"Reserve Quantum Theory and receive a code to download a Game Stop exclusive pre-Lost Age character and weapon set! Before the diablosis, Shiranui Heavy Industries and Murakumo Inc. set out to protect the world. The two private security firms were notorious for both their technology and their ruthlessness. Use these 2 exclusive pre-Lost Age characters (Shiranui Merc & Murakumo Merc) and exclusive SHURA-KZ28 weapon in online matches!"

Must have.

You completely killed the vibe that you had when you wrote your demo review. I was thinking you were an unbiased reviewer and now I can just say that you disappoint me like damn near everyone else that feels the need to keep this crappy "console war" going full steam ahead.

Yep, here are the 360 fanboys! Why don't you guys try a little harder to hide yourselves next time? I can tell from the stench of desperation emanating from your FPS-encrusted pores that you're intimidated by the idea of the one-two punch of a Japanese developed third person shooter absolutely OWNING gears on the PS3.
...isn't this a multi-plat game?

Maybe if Epic tries a little harder next time and adds some depth to their game, instead of just throwing a testosterone-fueled steroid party that overheats your brittle 360's motherboard, this kind of thing wouldn't happen.
Yep, here's the PS3 fanboy! Why don't you blah blah blah and so on

Oh, wow, you get to play as some blonde with tits. Great. Can you even throw her at anything?
Good point, the mark of a great female character lies in her throwability.

She's useless and is just there to give all the gamers little angry swollen boners while they live out fantasies of masculinity via wireless controller and TV screen.
Thanks Freud, I guess I only played Donkey Kong because I wanted to bang the chick at the top.

I guess the game has the advantage of coming out after QT, so that it can grab some "me too" sales before any other wanna-bes show up. Some serendipitous luck on their part that coincided with their compulsion to make yet another sequel.
For reals. Remember how much Epic panicked when Dark Sector came out?

But we all know Quantum Theory is the future of TPS and it took little more than this demo to convince me of that.
That's a suitable title, because the only use I can see for this is game is wiping my ass.

I don't see how you can praise this game so much; the aiming was slippery, the "depth" of the extra character is basically the equivalent of a special move, and the whole gnarled graphics are boring at best and a complete rip of Gears at the worst. Sorry bud, but if there's any eastern "TPS" that's getting my money, it'll be Vanquish, and not this TPPOS.

Its alright. 3.5/5
I mean its obviously a knockoff gears of war.
Deathmatch might be alright.
It WONT be a DAY 1 purchase thats for sure.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']You do know that Quantum Theory is arriving in all of its Majestic Glory on 360 as well? Though I'll be playing it on my PS3, since it's better and Japanese games should be enjoyed on a Japanese system, at least now 360 fanboys can also experience the Game of this Generation, albeit in an inferior form.

Can't wait to play QT Deathmatch with you! \\:D/

BTW, make sure you preorder from Gamestop, my favorite place to buy all of my games. Peep this shit, yo.

"Reserve Quantum Theory and receive a code to download a Game Stop exclusive pre-Lost Age character and weapon set! Before the diablosis, Shiranui Heavy Industries and Murakumo Inc. set out to protect the world. The two private security firms were notorious for both their technology and their ruthlessness. Use these 2 exclusive pre-Lost Age characters (Shiranui Merc & Murakumo Merc) and exclusive SHURA-KZ28 weapon in online matches!"

Must have.[/QUOTE]

Finally someone else who gets it! Of course there'll be a 360 version...but when you have the choice between ribeye steak and salisbury steak, which would you choose? They won't put that much effort into the 360 port since Japan has rejected that shitty system like a donor's body rejects a bad organ. My contacts at Koei-Tecmo told me as much.

That character and weapon set sound tight!! I mean, it'll kinda mess up the story to play as a pre-Lost Age character (because, as I read in the novels the game is based on, this game takes place in the actual Lost Age), but whatever, I'm not opposed to some fun.

bread's done
Back