Quest for Glory II VGA remake - Now Available (FREE!)

Troz1820

CAGiversary!
Feedback
57 (100%)

I didn't know if I should put this here in PC Games or in Old School Games :lol:

After a long, long wait, the fan remake of Quest for Glory II: Trial By Fire will be released this Sunday, August 24th! Best part: It's FREE! The Quest for Glory series was always one of my favorites growing up. I think I played through the original at least a dozen times, going through the different character classes. I'll need to search through my CD archives to find a character to import into this game...

This is the same group that did the remakes of King's Quest I & II, which were both very high quality games. I have no doubt that this one will be the same!

http://www.agdinteractive.com

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys rock. They're still giving us free remakes of classic adventure games? A winner in my book.

Awesome! I love the QFG series. Anyone know if I can buy this? I really like having physical copies of games. And burning it to a disc is just not the same.

Cool stuff.

I've only ever played #5, but its one of my favorite PC games still.

I also just recently finished Dreamfall, so I'm in an adventure game sort of mood. This will be perfect.

Hoping to download this tomorrow.

Whoa. I didn't know people were still doing these sorts of things. Seems like most of 'em get C&D letters from stupid lawyers from the stupid companies that don't even use/care about the IP in question anymore.

I mean, LucasFan games got shut down and they apparently had a good number of projects in the wings...but at least Maniac Mansion Deluxe came out of that before bastards went after 'em.

Never played the QFG series but it's always been on my to-do-to-play list. So I'll check this out - thanks for the heads up, Troz.

Just in case anyone is looking for some decent and free adventure games (CaptainRainbow64, for example), go to fullyramblomatic.com and download the "Chzo" quadrilogy. It's made by Yahtzee (or Ben Croshaw), the guy behind the now-infamous Zero Punctuation game reviews every Wednesday on the Escapist.

The order to play them in:
5 Days a Stranger
7 Days a Skeptic
Trilby's Notes
6 Days a Sacrifice

I played through 5 Days last week. Pretty simple overall, but a good atmosphere and some nice characterization. These games are horror-themed so you'll get some good scares in here and there. Note that he DOES offer "special editions" for 5 bucks (or 15 for the whole pack), and I did go ahead and get those. The commentary he puts into the game is interesting (kinda like how Portal does it), but I'm sure you could be satisfied with the free versions.

Lemme know if anyone likes 'em.

[quote name='Strell']Whoa. I didn't know people were still doing these sorts of things. Seems like most of 'em get C&D letters from stupid lawyers from the stupid companies that don't even use/care about the IP in question anymore.
[/quote]

Well, currently most of Sierra is up for sale so I'm unsure if anyone is really going to go after them.

The KQ1 remake even has the same guy doing the voice of King Graham as KQ5 & KQ6. I'm just getting started on the series, myself. I beat KQ6 back in the day, never really played any of the other series until now.

same site above I believe. I too have been waiting for them to finish QFG2 remake. played through the original only once, found the typing interface too clunky and the having no map of Shapeir was a challenge too.

The KQ1 and KQ2 remakes are off the site until their anticipated rush from QFG2 is done, then they'll go back on the site. Looks like it won't be up until late this evening...

I played it for a few minutes and I am very happy with the result. I haven't read a thing about it before playing so I was pleasantly surprised in finding that it was not a crazy overhaul on the graphics and the like.

It was very much like QFG3 or the VGA remake of QFG1. It is very well done and couldn't be better. It were as if Sierra them selves made it.

[quote name='Strell']Whoa. I didn't know people were still doing these sorts of things. Seems like most of 'em get C&D letters from stupid lawyers from the stupid companies that don't even use/care about the IP in question anymore.

I mean, LucasFan games got shut down and they apparently had a good number of projects in the wings...but at least Maniac Mansion Deluxe came out of that before bastards went after 'em.

Never played the QFG series but it's always been on my to-do-to-play list. So I'll check this out - thanks for the heads up, Troz.

Just in case anyone is looking for some decent and free adventure games (CaptainRainbow64, for example), go to fullyramblomatic.com and download the "Chzo" quadrilogy. It's made by Yahtzee (or Ben Croshaw), the guy behind the now-infamous Zero Punctuation game reviews every Wednesday on the Escapist.

The order to play them in:
5 Days a Stranger
7 Days a Skeptic
Trilby's Notes
6 Days a Sacrifice

I played through 5 Days last week. Pretty simple overall, but a good atmosphere and some nice characterization. These games are horror-themed so you'll get some good scares in here and there. Note that he DOES offer "special editions" for 5 bucks (or 15 for the whole pack), and I did go ahead and get those. The commentary he puts into the game is interesting (kinda like how Portal does it), but I'm sure you could be satisfied with the free versions.

Lemme know if anyone likes 'em.[/QUOTE]

Got the first two, plated 5 days about a year ago.

They did get the letter, but a petition go tit back up and running I do believe. It is on the pretense that they make no money off it.

However they have Himilayan Studios and dropped Al Emmo last year which was a pretty good game actually.

[quote name='smiley424']same site above I believe. I too have been waiting for them to finish QFG2 remake. played through the original only once, found the typing interface too clunky and the having no map of Shapeir was a challenge too.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that Sierra made a remake in VGA of the original dont you? I played through that again about 2 years ago, so that when this came out I would be ready with my character.

[/quote]
This kind of crap is just pure BS. Yes, I know companies want/need to protect their IP's. But is Lucasarts really going to do anything with them? Why piss off fans of these IPs with basically free advertising if they ever are brought back? Another corporate version of "not seeing the forest because of the trees".

I could see getting pissy if Lucasarts was bringing these games back to some download service like Gametap or Steam. But they aren't even doing that. I guess it's too much work for them. :roll:

[quote name='mogamer']
I could see getting pissy if Lucasarts was bringing these games back to some download service like Gametap or Steam. But they aren't even doing that. I guess it's too much work for them. :roll:[/QUOTE]

They're probably doing it just in case they ever want to do something exactly like that.

I agree with mogamer from a pure theoretical standpoint, but keithp is probably right.

Of course it sucks that they just let those titles sit there and stagnate in whatever vault they are in (digital or physical), especially when it might take all of a few days to get them running on A) something like Steam/Gamefly, or B) something like the PSP/DS, or C) running them in an emulator wrapper like DOSBox.

Yeah, I'm aware Sierra already did that with a lot of their "____ Quest" games, but I heard the compilations were horrendous.

It just really comes off as lazy. I'm sure there's a positive return on, say, porting Monkey Island 1/2 to the DS and charging $30 bucks, but maybe I'm just too idealistic.

Strell I got the compilations at Target Clearence or on Goozex. Talk about giving you the games and an empty box with a "works with Dosbox" on a piece of paper... The games are still there though. Just adds to the collection.

I've already sunk more time into this release than I should. Damn old-school gameplay!! Remember kids, gamefaqs is for pussies!! :)

[quote name='Poor2More']Where can I get kings quest 1 and 2 remakes from?[/quote]

Google Kings Quest 1 or 2 VGA Remake, some places have it available. I just snagged them the other day. However, 1 runs horribly on my system for some unknown reason.

Got my character imported last night. i have to admit I have not really played much f the original on this game... I vaguely remember training in it but I may be off on that as well.

Looking forward to working my way through it.

Grabbed the first one so I can play through all of them. I'd only ever played the 5th one, and so far, the first and the remake really show their age with the painful inventory system and laughable combat.

I will make it through all of them though.

I've been doing some searching trying to find ways to get the mt-32 sound, but it seems that with Vista midi support is very limited. As in.. you get MS's shitty wavetable and that's it.

I'm looking into using Munt as a mt-32 emulator for the older QFG games using dosbox.

I went to that link, click on enter website and then am not able to click on anything after that. Is there some other way I can get this?

[quote name='schuerm26']I went to that link, click on enter website and then am not able to click on anything after that. Is there some other way I can get this?[/QUOTE]

You are not using Ie7 are you, must be an eariler version of internet explorer... you can still grab it with your older browser.

Locate the pointer over where the click to download link is and then hit F7 on your keyboard to refresh the screen.. start clicking where your pointer is very quickly before the screen loads and it will move you on.

Or you could simply upgrade your brwoser to Ie7. I cant upgrade and grabbed it at work with Ie6 by doing what I said above.

FYI.

bread's done
Back