Question about Avatar won't play on my ps3.

bordjon

CAGiversary!
I figured I'd try posting here - didn't want to get spanked for posting a movie question in the ps3 gaming forum.

I have an original 40gb ps3 with the latest firmware. I've never had any problems with a blu-ray not playing and get tons from netflix. (I have had an occasional stutter or skip - but it's rare)

I got Avatar on blu-ray from netflix and it wouldn't play. It would show up on the video menu as Avatar and would auto-launch and all. It would get the little "wait" loading clock type thing in the top right. Then it would go to black screen and just sit there. I let it sit for a good 10 mins. I couldn't get to any menu on the blu-ray. I tried turning on/off various settings for video/audio and for bd live. When I would press stop on the pop-up ps3 menu it would kick me back to the ps3 xmb.

I looked online for others having a problem playing on ps3 and couldn't really find much - most everybody got it to play on ps3 when other players wouldn't work ( I understand it has a ton of drm stuff and many players needed firmware upgrades - my ps3 has the current firmware revision.)

Anybody out there experienced this problem or know what might be the problem?

I had that same model of PS3 (it has since died and been replaced) and rented Avatar from Netflix. Had no problems. If other BRs work and you are sure it is updated, my best guess is there is a problem with the disc.

Probably just a bad disc. I've gotten a couple Blu Rays from Netflix that looked fine (no scratches, cracks etc.) but wouldn't play. I reported them as damaged, sent them back and the replacements they sent played fine.

Standalone Blu Ray player though, not a PS3.

Check the disc really closely for a small crack; I had something similar happen once and I found a really tiny crack in the blu disc that I think caused the issue.

Thanks guys - maybe it was just a problem with the disc - we'll see soon. I've reported it as damaged and sent it back already. Should get a new disc in a day or two.

I looked at the disc and wiped it down but didn't look real close - it could have had a small crack that I missed.

I'm embarrassed to say that in my frustration and haste I forgot to try it in my insignia player in my bedroom! We had the disc for over a week and just had not had a chance to watch it and we sit down to watch and it won't play! We saw it in 3d at the theater but were real eager to see it again.

bread's done
Back