Question about Best Buy return policy (opened controller).

Easy Reader

CAG Veteran
Hi.

I bought a game controller from Best Buy the other day and wanted to try out the d-pad. However, before I slice up the blister pack, is it possible to return something like this once opened for the full purchase price?

I refuse to pay them a restocking fee. I'd have picked it up elsewhere, but I couldn't find any other stores that carry it.

Thank you

(sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I've had trouble with them in the past; they like to change their return policies on a whim.)

Link to BB's in-store return policy on their website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1117177044087&id=cat12098

Specific item about restocking fees:
[quote name='From BB.com website']Restocking fee
A restocking fee is applicable in some product categories, unless you are a Reward Zone Program Premier Silver member, the item is defective, or the fee is prohibited by law. The restocking fee charges are:
  • 25% for Special Order Products, including appliances
  • 15% for opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems
  • 10% for Apple® iPhones[/quote]
So, to answer your question, no.

I've read the return policy on the receipt as well as the website. I was hoping people would post anecdotes and be able to confirm/deny what the "current real world policy" is at BestBuy (it doesn't always agree with the fine print), especially if they'd tried to return a game peripheral that had already been opened.

Btw, did you read what you just posted?

This is a game controller. It's not a special order item, a computer/camera/GPS, or an iPhone. I appreciate your attempt to help, but that doesn't answer my question.

Well, not exactly sure if this would apply to a controller, but I bought a D-Link Wireless N router a month ago and returned it the next day. I opened it but decided I didnt need it in my home. The woman at customer service just checked for all the parts and didnt charge me a restocking fee.

[quote name='Easy Reader']I've read the return policy on the receipt as well as the website. I was hoping people would post anecdotes and be able to confirm/deny what the "current real world policy" is at BestBuy (it doesn't always agree with the fine print), especially if they'd tried to return a game peripheral that had already been opened.

Btw, did you read what you just posted?

This is a game controller. It's not a special order item, a computer/camera/GPS, or an iPhone. I appreciate your attempt to help, but that doesn't answer my question.[/QUOTE]BTW, did you read what I had posted?

Anything in the categories listed is subject to a restocking fee without question or discussion. Any other items aren't.

I've returned game controllers to Best Buy without any restocking fee, as well as other types of items not in the above categories and not had a restocking feed.

If they're deviating from the posted policy on BestBuy.com as well as the posted policy in-store, then they need to be reported to Best Buy's corporate office.

[quote name='shrike4242']BTW, did you read what I had posted?

Anything in the categories listed is subject to a restocking fee without question or discussion. Any other items aren't.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did. I don't understand why you posted that since it looked like you were answering my question:

However, before I slice up the blister pack, is it possible to return something like this once opened for the full purchase price?

I should have made it clear that I was asking for first hand experience with returns in this case, regardless of what their online policy claims. Pardon me.

I've returned game controllers to Best Buy without any restocking fee, as well as other types of items not in the above categories and not had a restocking feed.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know (assuming they were in blister packs and had been opened when you returned them).

If they're deviating from the posted policy on BestBuy.com as well as the posted policy in-store, then they need to be reported to Best Buy's corporate office.

Hahahaha. Like that does any good. The managers at certain BestBuys think they're dictators. It's not as bad as Circuit City was, but in my experience, far too much is up to an individual's discretion. Politely making an issue about it and asking someone to call corporate on a stubborn or incompetent floor manager has never worked for me.

[quote name='shrike4242']BTW, did you read what I had posted?

Anything in the categories listed is subject to a restocking fee without question or discussion. Any other items aren't.[/quote]

Yes, I did. I don't understand why you posted that since it looked like you were answering my question:

However, before I slice up the blister pack, is it possible to return something like this once opened for the full purchase price?

I should have made it clear that I was asking for first hand experience with returns in this case, regardless of what their online policy claims. Pardon me.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know (assuming they were in blister packs and had been opened when you returned them).

Hahahaha. Like that does any good. The managers at certain BestBuys think they're dictators. It's not as bad as Circuit City was, but in my experience, far too much is up to an individual's discretion. Politely making an issue about it and asking someone to call corporate on a stubborn or incompetent floor manager has never worked for me.

bread's done
Back