Question about buying an Xbox

legendarypegasus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I'm wanting to get an Xbox and I'm leaning towards buying a used one. I remember hearing that some of the drives are faulty. What drives should I avoid getting?

Just avoid the thompson. The best Drive is the Samsung which when you press the eject button and look at the tray it will have 3 Nickel size holes . Thats the best one to get.

The Thompson is the one that most people bitch about, including myself. Before my XBox got hit by lightning I was starting to have problems, and I was a light user. Google to find out how to tell the drives apart. I think the Samsung is supposed to be the best, but the other one (Philips I believe) is supposed to be good too. Problem is the Thompson seems to be very common

Is there a way to tell without opening the box??? I want to buy another one tomorrow and I'm sure best buy wont let me open up boxes. Any codes that tell you what drives on in them?

look for one dated on the bottom 2003 and above and you should be good...2003 is the best b/c 95% have samsung drives

i have a thompson drive.. .and it has been pretty good to me.....so not every thompson drive is crap.. but it seems the majority complaints have come from thompson drives.

Yes I will be buying a new one, is there a way you can tell what drive is inside? Any type of code in the serial number?

bread's done
Back