Question About Buying Game Cases

E

eastshore4

I was looking to get some thoughts on a little prediciment I've come across. I have been scouring ebay recently looking for cases for the disc-only games in my collection like MGS3 Subsistence, Fallout 3, and a couple of rarer games. I constantly come across this one particular site on ebay, "BRE", which seems to have cases in spades. They have a whole lot of different display boxes, manuals, etc... They have so much of that stuff that I can't help but be suspicious about it. I can't help but think that, even though they may be high-quality, these boxes and artwork are being manufactured by the company. I suppose there's always the possibility that they're in cahoots with a local BBV or something and nab their cases, but I just don't know about that. I wrote them an email asking if their product came from gutted copies or if they were making this stuff themselves and was given a real butthole cut-and-paste response saying"we cannot offer any more details via email on this product other than what is listed in the auction". I wrote them back again telling them it wasn't a question about a spefic item so much as a question about their entire business practice, and... they sent me the same exact response.

My question(s): as collectors, do you think it's a big deal if the game case isn't 100% legit? Normally, I probably wouldn't be too concerned, but given the price(it ends up being like $6 per case after shipping), and whether or not copying game cases is even a legitimate practice has me hesitant.

I've had purchased quite a few, and they are of quality. I don't know if they take high resolution scans of the graphics and re-create them, but they are perfect, and they do use legitimate game cases.

In either case, does it fucking matter?

The artwork is perfect, and case is original manufactured. I don't think you can get a case and print out the artwork for under $6 on your own.

So it totally depends on how anal you are... how much OCD is in your blood.

Would you want to waste time and money looking for a case at GS? or Ebay elsewhere? which it may not be 101% mint?

or what?

I bought from them before. I bought 8 regular PS2 cases and 8 double disc PS2 cases but the cases were exactly the same as the cases I had for my store bought PS2 games.

The items were advertised as new and unused but what I received was definitely not the case. Of the 16 total cases I received, about 3-4 were actually in perfect shape, and the remainder were anywhere from fair (really scuffed/scratched up cases) to poor (window warping) condition. None of the cases were broken but they definitely weren't new. If I had to guess, they were guts from trade ins I'd bet.

The other thing I didn't like, as you already discovered, is that they have HORRIBLE customer service. I received a shipment notice after I paid but didn't receive anything after 2 weeks (I paid for Priority, tracking didn't work). After a few emails and a threat of a PayPal dispute (this was about a year ago, before eBay's new policies), they finally responded but made me wait 2 more weeks before they sent replacements.

The final thing was they spam your email so badly. If you do business with them, they automatically sign you up for their emails, asking you to trade in your games to them (for rip off values of course) but that stops as soon as you unsubscribe.

All in all though, they were the only seller (eBay or otherwise) I could find that sold the legit double disc PS2 cases.

EDIT* This was only my experience with empty replacement cases. I just realized you were talking about replacement cases w/ artwork.

BRE has been in business for YEARS. You might be better off buying directly from their site, rather than from their Ebay store. I'd say to just Google BRE Software and go to their main site page to look for the same things you planned on buying from the Ebay store.

[quote name='Vinny']I bought from them before. I bought 8 regular PS2 cases and 8 double disc PS2 cases but the cases were exactly the same as the cases I had for my store bought PS2 games.

The items were advertised as new and unused but what I received was definitely not the case. Of the 16 total cases I received, about 3-4 were actually in perfect shape, and the remainder were anywhere from fair (really scuffed/scratched up cases) to poor (window warping) condition. None of the cases were broken but they definitely weren't new. If I had to guess, they were guts from trade ins I'd bet.

The other thing I didn't like, as you already discovered, is that they have HORRIBLE customer service. I received a shipment notice after I paid but didn't receive anything after 2 weeks (I paid for Priority, tracking didn't work). After a few emails and a threat of a PayPal dispute (this was about a year ago, before eBay's new policies), they finally responded but made me wait 2 more weeks before they sent replacements.

The final thing was they spam your email so badly. If you do business with them, they automatically sign you up for their emails, asking you to trade in your games to them (for rip off values of course) but that stops as soon as you unsubscribe.

All in all though, they were the only seller (eBay or otherwise) I could find that sold the legit double disc PS2 cases.

EDIT* This was only my experience with empty replacement cases. I just realized you were talking about replacement cases w/ artwork.[/quote]

My experience was exactly the same. ordered 100 PS2 over the summer from them. even though they "threw in" a handful of extras, there was less than 15 that would be in better shape than the ones I was looking to replace. most were hammered/too much price sticker residue [picture GS used .99 sports games]. same spam problem until after I returned them after having to go through paypal for the right to do so. price was right, but the condition was falsely represented. it seems like all bulk roads to replacement cases lead to one of their many "different" sites or seller accounts. I still have been unable to score. I am not looking for museum quality, though there is a huge difference between like new and the ones I received from them.

BRE has been around for at least 15 years, so they're in all probability gutted trade-ins. I spent my teen years near Fresno, where they are located, and traded in many Sega Genesis and 32X games to them. I still remember their damn ad jingle. "LET THE GAMES BEGIN, B-R-E SOFTWAAAAAAARE!" in a horrible 80's rocker voice.

bread's done
Back