Question about Futureshops Return Policy on TVs

d_bomb_23

CAGiversary!
Hey all,
I hope this is the right section to post this, Im in a weird situation and need some advice on what to do.

I bought a Sharp Aquos 40inch tv from futureshop on boxing day for $599.99
I know that there return policy is 30 days, and just recently I noticed that the speakers on the tv are messed up. They kinda go static-key every few minutes.

I did not get the product service plan, although the CSR said I could come back within 30 days and add it if I changed my mind. If I return the TV and they do not have the same model in stock, I could get my money back, but the thing is I would prefer to do an exchange because I got a good deal on the TV. If i return the tv i would have to pay at least an extra $100 for a different 40inch LCD 1080p.
Or would it be better to get the Product service plan and then use that to try and get the tv fixed, and if they can't fix it, get it replaced?

what do you guys think I should do?

any help would be great!

I'd go to the store and ask what your options are. You can make a more informed decision if you know they have stock at the store or the warehouse has stock. Do not mention the Product Service Plan, get it fixed idea. They will happily go along with this idea before finding another TV for you. Maybe they can knock a few dollars off another TV or inform you when the next 10% off TV sale is coming up. When you first walk in to the TV department ask to speak to the person in charge of the TV department. It's no use dealing with the junior guys they'll just have to ask his/her permission anyway to approve anything.

If you do go with a PSP please read the fine details of the Product Service Plan before buying. I've found a lot of the sales people are vary ill informed when selling them. If you have question about the PSP ask the people in the customer department because they will be the ones your dealing with not the sales guy that promised rainbows and a pot of gold.

make sure you fix the audio settings manually too. My tv would be all "static" sounding during loud sounds, turns out the default setting has the bass turned up all the way, i turned it down from 100 to about 20 and i've never had the problem since.

I'd look into Sharp's own warranty on the TV. Most LCD vendors have pretty decent warranty policies--such that buying a store warranty is usually pointless because the TV is already covered so well. Check with Sharp to see what their warranty is like. They can likely fix it for you free of charge in the scenario that Futureshop can't give you a replacement 1:1.

bread's done
Back