Question about getting a shipping refund

saturnotaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
While I've been a member of eBay for 10 years, I've not had anything like this happen. I'd like to solicit the advice of folks here.

I won an auction for some anime DVDs. The listing showed shipping via USPS Priority Mail, which I paid for ($9). When I received the e-mail from PayPal saying the seller printed the shipping label, she decided to send everything Media Mail. Now obviously Media Mail is a heck of a lot cheaper than Priority. I've sent her a message through eBay requesting a refund of the cost difference between what I paid and what it actually cost. If I don't receive a response, what would be the best way to get some satisfaction from this?

You don't have alot of pull when it comes to partial refunds. If you escalate the issue, ebay will ultimately say to return the movies for a full refund. Ultimately you will have to try and work it out with the buyer and if they don't respond you can do a return/refund or just leave a negative for them. I would try being cordial at first, if they're a newer buyer they might not realize the error of their ways.

While we're on the subject of shipping, I'd like to hijack the thread with my own question. I came across a great auction for a lot of 11 GBA games(cart only). It seemed great, until I noticed the guy was charging $15.XX to ship the games via priority mail! It could've been put there by accident, but I'm thinking it was intentional. For future reference, are you able to report someone for malicious shipping charges or do you just gotta let it slide?

[quote name='eastshore4']You don't have alot of pull when it comes to partial refunds. If you escalate the issue, ebay will ultimately say to return the movies for a full refund. Ultimately you will have to try and work it out with the buyer and if they don't respond you can do a return/refund or just leave a negative for them. I would try being cordial at first, if they're a newer buyer they might not realize the error of their ways.[/quote]

I was the winner of the auction who paid the high shipping cost, only to have been baited and switched on the method listed versus what was used.

Thing is, even with the high shipping charge, I think I got a decent deal on the DVDs, as they're not easy to find. It's more the principle of the thing. If I don't hear anything, I'll probably just leave a negative feedback.

I was the winner of the auction who paid the high shipping cost, only to have been baited and switched on the method listed versus what was used.
I know, but unfortunately it doesn't really change the situation. I believe your issue still falls under seller non-performance along with things like inaccurate descriptions, wrong item etc, which regardless of the situation ebay will resolve by having the buyer return the item and the seller refund the money... it's an all-or-nothing game with them, they won't be able to force the seller to refund the difference in shipping.

But yeah, I think if you don't hear back just give 'em a negative or a neutral. I had the same situation once, and it was kinda annoying but the product was as described so I just gave them a neutral... that was just some innocent ebay newbie though, if this is like a legitimate e-business I would probably give them a good working over.

I think this person uses eBay the same way I do, as merely an occasional buyer and seller. As such, I'd be more inclined to leave a neutral versus a negative. However, if I hear absolutely nothing, then a negative would be in order. That might actually provide some encouragement for the seller to provide the partial refund, in which case I would certainly retract the feedback.

What's their feedback like? If it's 100% I'd drop a negative on them for that B.S. Otherwise, you could always chargeback and fuck them over. I hate when people try to over-charge for shipping, I'll avoid them at all costs and even pay extra if I need to.

I may find an item for say $10 BIN and shipping is $10 when it should be about $3. I'll avoid them and go to a BIN with maybe $22 and free shipping. It's just crap they try to trick people into a lower price by charing the hell out of shipping.

So after 2 eBay e-mails and a negative feedback later, the seller e-mails me back with this little nugget:

I have business cost and if you want a refund then first let me give you a break down of the package. box,label- $3.50
gas- $2.30
Listing fee- $2.85

$8.65 total
$9.70 shipping

$1.15 refund

It's funny because what she's doing is a violation of eBay's "excessive shipping fee" policy. I think I'll point that out to her. I've already reported it to eBay. Of course, since I got the item, I don't think there's anything eBay can do at this point but to give her a slap on the wrists.

bread's done
Back