Question about HDTV's

Thunderscope

CAGiversary!
I have a 32in LCD HDTV right now, its nice. However I am thinking of buying a larger one for my living room. I saw a good deal on a 42in Philips one but I notice its 15:9 not 16:9? My first thought was this must be pretty crappy, is this ok though?

1024*768 is a 4:3 res. Either way, that's not an HDTV. It has to do 720p or 1080i for that.

My guess is that its a 13## x 768 screen. Which also isn't 16:9, but it'll get scaled up. That will do 720p and resolution wise wouldn't have any problems, although I think you can get 1080p LCDs at that size now.

Just remember to get the full 1080p experience you need at least 50".

That being said, if you're looking on a budget try doing this:

Buy early 2007 models, or older 2006 models. Think- you can get, new, some of last years greatest technology for the cost of a lower-end POS in 2007. Age means nothing. It's Features + Price= value.

look into Visio- a lot of gamers get these, they're not terrible LCD's, and if you want that BIG ASS TV experience at an extremely low low price, that may be the way to go.

Avoid Circuit City/Best Buy like the fucking plague they are. Do not be affraid to order off line. I got my last 2 TV's off line (currently with a nice Samsung model which I purchased from B&H Video in NYC- I used to live next door to 'em).

Consider that my TV is still retailing at Best Buy and CC, even though Samsung discontinued it 3 months ago, for over $2,500-$3,000. When I bought mine, new, I paid with shipping/insurance $2,000. Even fry's was trying to scam me. Assholes.

bread's done
Back