Question about Jury Service...

Silencer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I live in New York and attend college in in Boston. Recently, I served as a juror in the city of Boston -- completed it in November 2006. Now, I went back home for winter break and got a summons by my local court house (Queens, New York) asking me to serve on Feb 2nd (while I'm in college). I can postpone it until summer (when I have summer break), but shouldn't I be free from all jury service for the next 3 years ... or does that mean I'm only free from the Boston court house and that I still need to serve in the NY courthouse?

Thanks

If you're a college student, you can just send in the reply card saying such, thereby getting out of having to serve.

At least it works that way here. I got a summons in the middle of a semester and that took care of it no problem.

I'd check with the NY courthouse and see what they say. Having proof of your jury summons and service for Boston would be quite helpful to have on-hand, and if you don't have it, getting it would be a good idea.

[quote name='Silencer']I live in New York and attend college in in Boston. Recently, I served as a juror in the city of Boston -- completed it in November 2006. Now, I went back home for winter break and got a summons by my local court house (Queens, New York) asking me to serve on Feb 2nd (while I'm in college). I can postpone it until summer (when I have summer break), but shouldn't I be free from all jury service for the next 3 years ... or does that mean I'm only free from the Boston court house and that I still need to serve in the NY courthouse?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Probably you're only immune from jury duty in Boston so you still can be picked for jury duty in NYC.

Some people have all the luck. I've never been picked for jury duty. I'd love to help put away some bad guys :) .

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd check with the NY courthouse and see what they say. Having proof of your jury summons and service for Boston would be quite helpful to have on-hand, and if you don't have it, getting it would be a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have a certificate as proof I served.
I called them before telling them my situation but I basically recieved the answer that I'm still eligible to serve in NY but I can postpone it (I need to send them a letter and a proof of enrollment from my college). I just wanted confirmation so I know I'm not getting completely jacked.

[quote name='dopa']Some people have all the luck. I've never been picked for jury duty. I'd love to help put away some bad guys .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I served in November, it was actually a very cool experience. You really get to see how the court system works. The case I could have a been a potential juror to was some sleazeball who raped his 8 year old stepdaughter.

bread's done
Back