Question about keeping rented games

[quote name='sonarrat']^^^ Is there no set amount, or are you just taking a stab at it?[/QUOTE]
It should say on your receipt.

Heh, oops, nevermind. I thought this was at Blockbuster.

When I was younger, I kept a copy of a Genesis game for $39.99.

I believe Hollywood has a set fee. I think it's $19.99 for DVD's and $29.99 for games. With some of the games, if you keep or sell on eBay, you break even. However, you can't do it more than 3 times I think, or your account gets closed. Also, remember, if you take more than 5 days, you'll also need to pay any late fees.

If you report it as theft, you need to file a police report, so don't say it got stolen. If you report it as defective or broken, you need to bring the disc in. So at most, say you lost it or someone in your family accidently took it with them out of town or out of state.

[quote name='sarausagi']I believe Hollywood has a set fee. I think it's $19.99 for DVD's and $29.99 for games.[/QUOTE]

I'm not planning on doing this, but if you decicde to keep a new released game that costs $40-$50(or a 360 game) they'll charge you $30 for the game?

Interesting - so if I wanted I could flip it on Amazon or Ebay and turn a profit.

Thankfully, I don't like the game so I won't be testing this out... maybe if I find a copy of Bust-A-Move 3000 to rent I'll see what happens.

[quote name='ericx']I'm not planning on doing this, but if you decicde to keep a new released game that costs $40-$50(or a 360 game) they'll charge you $30 for the game?[/QUOTE]

Because it's used, I think. I recall that a friend of mine took a copy of Rez, paid the $29.99 and a late fee, then sold it on eBay for $90. I might be wrong. Isn't there a Hollywood Video employee here to clarify?

Also remember, people. More than half the time, you will get a modified case [Hollywood graphics with a smaller version of the front and back of the case on each side] and you might or might not get the instruction booklet, plus the disc might not be mint and have stickers/security seals.

I wouldn't reccomend it really, you're better off searching used game stores, pawns, and resale shops if you want to find a rare title to sell.

[quote name='sarausagi']Also remember, people. More than half the time, you will get a modified case [Hollywood graphics with a smaller version of the front and back of the case on each side] and you might or might not get the instruction booklet, plus the disc might not be mint and have stickers/security seals.

I wouldn't reccomend it really, you're better off searching used game stores, pawns, and resale shops if you want to find a rare title to sell.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right - the only rare games I've found at rental places (Shadow Hearts, Burnout 2 GC, this one), I've also seen complete copies of at places like Gamecrazy and Gamestop. They're usually pretty cheap, too.

On the other hand, that's probably because somebody already took the best stuff from the chains. :D

[quote name='sarausagi']Also remember, people. More than half the time, you will get a modified case [Hollywood graphics with a smaller version of the front and back of the case on each side] and you might or might not get the instruction booklet, plus the disc might not be mint and have stickers/security seals.

I wouldn't reccomend it really, you're better off searching used game stores, pawns, and resale shops if you want to find a rare title to sell.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the dumbass who would do this, will go back asking for the original box and instructions, and in the same breath ask if they do re-surface work.

bread's done
Back