Question about MP3 players and where to buy.

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Iv been watching the boards for quite awhile in hopes of finding a cheap MP3 player here at the boards trading area and have yet to really find one. So, im thinking of just going and buying one but know nothing about them. So im wondering

1. Where is the best place to go buy one?

2. What are brands to buy and brands to avoid. Iv seen some really cheap ones on amazon....but they could be cheap for a reason ;(

3. How many songs does a 512/gig usually hold. I dont need anything that holds millions of songs, but I would like one that would hold atleast 200 songs. Could a smaller one like a 512 do that or do I need to invest in a gig or more?

Thanks!

[quote name='MSI Magus']
3. How many songs does a 512/gig usually hold. I dont need anything that holds millions of songs, but I would like one that would hold atleast 200 songs. Could a smaller one like a 512 do that or do I need to invest in a gig or more?

Thanks![/quote]

I currently have 266 songs on my 30 gig iPod (I really need to start ripping the rest of my CD collection...) and I'm using just over 1 gb.

1) Whoever has the cheapest price. ;)
I say go with amazon if you're looking online. That's where I got mine.

2) Yeah, I'd stay away from the cheaper brands.

3) 1GB = ~200 songs.

I'll recommend a couple:
Sandisk 2GB - $100
Sandisk 4GB - $130 AR
Philips 6GB - $145
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB - $215. Use this for 10% off.

If you're interested in having video playback, I'd go with the Vision:M. If you'd rather spend less because you don't need that much memory and you're not interested in video playback, go with one of the first three.

[quote name='OuTrAgE']1) Whoever has the cheapest price. ;)
I say go with amazon if you're looking online. That's where I got mine.

2) Yeah, I'd stay away from the cheaper brands.

3) 1GB = ~200 songs.

I'll recommend a couple:
Sandisk 2GB - $100
Sandisk 4GB - $130 AR
Philips 6GB - $145
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB - $215. Use this for 10% off.

If you're interested in having video playback, I'd go with the Vision:M. If you'd rather spend less because you don't need that much memory and you're not interested in video playback, go with one of the first three.[/QUOTE]

Damn $100 was waaaay more then I wanted to put out for a MP3 player but it looks like thats the standard price for a decent one...sucks but ah well. Anyways, does the sandisk have a option to easily switch to later songs or are you stuck switching songs one track at a time.

Hey, looks like those Sandisk's do have video playback. I wouldn't have guessed they did, since they're so cheap.

As for switching songs, I assume you can pick any song you want. I'm not speaking from any experience or anything, but that's how most mp3 players are.

You could fit about 200 songs on 512MB of memory if you convert them to 64kbps wma. I have 205 songs on my 1GB, and only used about 500MB. As for MP3 players, do you want hard disk or flash drives? Since you're not looking for a lot of memory, I assume you would want flash drives. And do you want to be able to watch movies and view pictures? Sandisk and Creative are probably your best bet for quality. Or you could get an Ipod, but that'll cost.

I would highly recommend the Creative Zen V. I bought me the 2 gig version a few weeks ago when Circuit City had a deal for it (paid about $87 before taxes) and I love it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Damn $100 was waaaay more then I wanted to put out for a MP3 player but it looks like thats the standard price for a decent one...sucks but ah well. Anyways, does the sandisk have a option to easily switch to later songs or are you stuck switching songs one track at a time.[/QUOTE]
I got my 1 GB sandisk player $20 after rebate not too long ago.

Few questions raised from responses.

1. Whats the difference between flash drives and using your hard drive.

2. Movies and pictures are just nice bonuses. Id love to get pictures and movies would just be ok. However, again either is just a bonus. Id rather pay alot less and only have Mp3 abilty.

3. The PSP plays MP3s right? Anyone know about how many it stores. Maybe if im putting out $100 for an MP3 player it would be wise just to put out the extra cash for a PSP.

4. has anyone seen a deal recently thats actually usefull. A few of you have mentioned getting $200 systems for $80 or $100 for $20....but ya thats nice but I need a deal now not a few weeks ago heh.

My wife ordered this one for me last night:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4857849

She has the 8GB model, I didn't need that much for my use. I probably could have used one with less memory, but it never hurts to have a little extra. She had a 4 GB one before, her 4 GB one didn't have picture capabilities so she upgraded when the picture displaying ones came out. Anyway, she has never had a problem with her Creative MP3 players and she loves the controls.

A hard drive MP3 player has internal moving parts, whereas a flash drive MP3 player does not. If you're going to be using your MP3 player while exercising, running, etc. or if you're particularly clumsy, flash is the way to go because it's not as easily damaged if you drop it (or if it's constantly absorbing shock while you're running). If you're not going to be using it for working out, a hard drive is fine.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Few questions raised from responses.

1. Whats the difference between flash drives and using your hard drive.

[/quote]

[quote name='bmsdaddy']My wife ordered this one for me last night:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4857849

She has the 8GB model, I didn't need that much for my use. I probably could have used one with less memory, but it never hurts to have a little extra. She had a 4 GB one before, her 4 GB one didn't have picture capabilities so she upgraded when the picture displaying ones came out. Anyway, she has never had a problem with her Creative MP3 players and she loves the controls.[/QUOTE]

Wow thats a really good deal. I think I might just buy that one! And to the last poster, im deffintly gonna be doing ALOT of walking and jogging with this so I guess I need a flash MP3 player.

Any of you have anything bad to say about creative zen or that product. Honestly at $120 with $1 shipping.....I cant see a better deal.

Think iv pretty much made my choice but have one more quick q. How good is the PSP as a MP3 player. Im sitting here thinking about this....if im putting out $120 for an MP3 player why not just put out $160 for a used PSP bundle off ebay that plays games as well as MP3s? Is the PSP a horrible MP3 player or does it work pretty well(and can you jog with it in like a pouch or would the movment break it?)?

The Zen Micro Photo is a hard drive player. I have excersised with one with no problems (stair climber, jogging, lifting). I believe they have anti-skip technology like a car based cd player. However, I do agree that the hard drive based mp3 players are more likely to break if dropped.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Think iv pretty much made my choice but have one more quick q. How good is the PSP as a MP3 player. Im sitting here thinking about this....if im putting out $120 for an MP3 player why not just put out $160 for a used PSP bundle off ebay that plays games as well as MP3s? Is the PSP a horrible MP3 player or does it work pretty well(and can you jog with it in like a pouch or would the movment break it?)?[/QUOTE]
i dont think it would work. A PSP is too big and heavy to use for jog.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the above poster. I had a PSP for a while and it's simply too huge and bulky to be a practical MP3 player.

[quote name='vdawg5']Yeah, I'd have to agree with the above poster. I had a PSP for a while and it's simply too huge and bulky to be a practical MP3 player.[/QUOTE]

The size wouldnt bug me though. Honestly, im used to jogging with a walkman in one pocket and DS in another....a PSP wouldnt be that big a difference. Im more worried about if the jogging would cause it to skip or worse break.

Ok, well in that case, yeah, I guess a PSP would suffice. A PSP is heavier than a DS, but not by too much. Oh yeah, keep in mind you're going to have to buy a memory stick pro duo to store the songs on unless you get that value pack or whatever.

I think jogging with a PSP would probably break it sooner or later. Plus you would scratch it up. And from what I knew before, it does not have any EQ settings to play around with either, not sure if recent updates have added it though. Also you would have to buy a Pro Duo memory stick for it which would add a bit more to the final price also.

Edit: D'oh, got beat. >

[quote name='slvrdrgn123']I think jogging with a PSP would probably break it sooner or later. Plus you would scratch it up. And from what I knew before, it does not have any EQ settings to play around with either, not sure if recent updates have added it though. Also you would have to buy a Pro Duo memory stick for it which would add a bit more to the final price also.

Edit: D'oh, got beat. >

I went ahead and bought the 4gb creative zen player. Great price and good reviews, only thing I could find negative complaints for it was people saying it comes with cheap accecories but eh I dont mind spending $10 for a new charger.

bread's done
Back