Question about Power Supplies

FaintDeftone

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I have a question about power supplies. I don't know much about them so any help would be appreciated.

I have an eMachines computer and I'm in need of a new video card. Most cards require at least a 350 watt power supply in order to work properly (according to the requirements on the box) and my power supply is only a 300 watt inside the computer. I was thinking about buying a new power supply for it but I'm afraid that a normal store bought power supply won't work in a prebuilt PC. I'm not sure if they're made unique just for that model and such.

Anybody have any experience with this? Would anyone happen to know if any power supply would work and fit properly in an eMachines PC? Thanks.

The easiest way is to just open your case up (when PC is off of course), and look at the power supply. Compare pictures you find on sites such as newegg.com to see if you have a regular ATX power supply. Chances are your eMachine has a regular ATX power supply.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']The easiest way is to just open your case up (when PC is off of course), and look at the power supply. Compare pictures you find on sites such as newegg.com to see if you have a regular ATX power supply. Chances are your eMachine has a regular ATX power supply.[/quote]

I know that many dell PC's cant be upgradable, which includes the power supplies. There are power supplies out there that only exist to power video cards. You'll be seeing a lot more of these power supplies as the freakin power hungry video cards keep increasing at this insane rate. (I had a 300watt power supply last year and now i have a 680, people are even buying 1kw supplies to power their fx-62s and x1900 crossfires.)

I think NewEgg will let you return it if it doesn't fit. But take to one of their support people before to try this.

And when you do buy a PS, make sure to keep on eye on the amps on the +12V rail.

bread's done
Back