Question about reporting tips to the IRS

Calamityuponthee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Maybe not the best forum, but I don't know anyone who's good with taxes and I figure someone here should know the answers.

I cater food as a part time job. Most of my wage comes from tips. My employer didn't report this to the government.
I helped pay for part of my school with said money, and I get some of it back from taxes.

Not to mention it's just the ethical thing to do. I contacted the owner (small company..) and he hasn't gotten back to me.

So I guess I have a few questions..

Using turbo tax, do I add it as income "not reported on a W2"?
Will this get me or them audited?

I don't want to get fired, but I'm not willing to take the risk of not reporting my tips. It's a substantial amount.

6 yr former IRS employee, go directly to a account/tax rep tell them about YOUR $ only cover YOUR @ss. File accordingly with what they need to complete your return, if an audit comes it will be down the line and long past you, play dumb tell them you just files based on the $ you got forget everything else. Goin to jail ain't no fun look at all the celebs with more $ than you that already got locked. Wesley Snipes finally paid his and they still locked him up Ronald Isley just got out & don't wanna go back. When the government is struggling for $ they ain't taking no $hit.
Good luck

Definitely report your income. If you want to report your employer you can do it anonymously and you may get a reward from the IRS.

Either way, definitely report your income. If you get audited tell them exactly what happened and don't lie.

bread's done
Back