Question about Screen Protectors

ninjaspeedrazor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Hey everyone,

I just got a DS Lite the other day. I was thinking about getting a screen protector for it but I'm not sure if they're worth it. Does anyone have experience with them, do they actually protect the screen? Any info would be great, thanks a lot guys!

oh yah... they're definately worth it. i recently got a DS too but the first thing i did was buy screen protectors. being a 5th gen ipod owner, i know all about how fragile screens can get. and because the ds has a touchscreen, screen protectors are all the more essential

I've been using the Pelican ones that are available at Best Buy and the like on both my original and Lite.

They work just fine-but a word of caution, just use the protector for the bottom screen. The top screen already has a protector over it (Nintendo sells cheap replacements). The Pelican protector just goes over the top of that, and is kind of silly.

But there's no way I"d use my DS without a protector on that bottom screen. So far I've never changed them, but down the line if they get scratched up you can just buy a new one and stick it on.

Get a protector ready before you open the DS though, as it's harder to clean the screen and slap it on later (you'll probably still get a couple pieces of lint stuck between it).

I've tried a few different screen protectors.

First ones I tried were ones that came with some styluses in a $5 Mad Catz package. A little stiff, and a little odd that it didn't completely cover all edges of the entire screen. But hey, I needed a quick fix for screen protection, as I had just gotten my DS Lite.

... holy crap, did it start to show scratches easily -- didn't take me long to want to replace them. (After doing some research, I'd heard about how good the Hori ones were -- but I couldn't find any places locally that carried them.)

Afterward, I tried some of the higher-quality screen protectors that you can get for PDAs, and I cut them down to DS Lite screen size. It actually worked pretty well -- until, having temporarily misplaced some of the official styluses, I decided to use some of the styluses that came in the Mad Catz package. And, er, the stylus actually started to rub off on the screen protector. So they started to get smudges. Great. Time to find a new screen protector. (And throw away whatever was in that Mad Catz package. Shame, too, since I don't like to talk too badly about 'em -- they had one of the better six-face-button Dreamcast controllers, I thought.)

I finally registered on-to Play-Asia and got the Hori ones. Oddly enough, they looked and felt just like the Mad Catz ones I had gotten, and wouldn't cover the entire screen in just the same way. But holy crud, did these end up being much better. Much more resistant to scratches (especially after some heavy EBA/Ouendan use), and it just generally looks nice on the screen, even if it doesn't cover it completely.

... I'm happy with the Hori ones.

Also, the Japanese/Asian Hori protectors are the way to go. There's a North American version, that uses sticky glue stuff, while the Japanese/Asian ones are static cling.

Or at least that's how it was when I got my Lite at launch.

anyone know where i can get DS tank hori screen protectors? play-asia only sells ds lite protectors now and getting an S on every song in Ouendan isn't helping

[quote name='maigoyume']anyone know where i can get DS tank hori screen protectors? play-asia only sells ds lite protectors now and getting an S on every song in Ouendan isn't helping[/quote]

I think you can just buy the DS Lite ones. If I recall correctly, the only difference between Hori's DS and DSL screen protectors is the top screen protector. (On the DSL, the top screen is slightly recessed, and the screen protector fits in there. For the DS, the top screen is flat, and that screen protector goes over the whole thing. The bottom/touch screen is identical)

[quote name='such great heights']Also, the Japanese/Asian Hori protectors are the way to go. There's a North American version, that uses sticky glue stuff, while the Japanese/Asian ones are static cling.[/quote]
I bought a pack of Hori protectors at Fry's while waiting for my DS Lite order to be filled. Are mine the ones that use sticky glue stuff? It's made in Japan and it sounds strange that Hori would take the effort to make 2 different ones in Japan/factory for the Japan/Asian and NA markets.

I have Martin Fields protectors on my DSL and on my nephew's DS. They're just about perfect except putting them on. I also have the Hori screen protector for my PSP and it is basically the same as the Martin Fields.

Don't get the issue with needing screen protectors. My DS screens are cleaner than a baby's behind. They were built to withstand the stylus so unless you're purposely trying to dent it, you should be fine without one.

[quote name='eau']Ok. So this Japanese Hori
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-49-en-70-196x.html
is very different from this American Hori
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4871610
???[/QUOTE]

There was a post on fake Hori screen protectors last June 2006. Here is the link.
Counterfeit Hori Screen Protectors on eBay?

Hori

I have the Hori screen protectors and they are EXCELLENT!!
I bought them from DecalGirl along with a skin:HORI DS Lite Screen Protector - $6.50

If there is a Fry's near you you can also go to them.
DS Lite Protective Filter - Nintendo DS Lite At Fry's

[quote name='Kendro']Don't get the issue with needing screen protectors. My DS screens are cleaner than a baby's behind. They were built to withstand the stylus so unless you're purposely trying to dent it, you should be fine without one.[/quote]

*shrug* Even though you should be fine without one, accidents happen, and some games probably lend themselves more towards more frantic stylus usage. (Ouendan comes to mind, doing spinners) Besides, what's another $5-7 to protect your $130 DS?

[quote name='MSA']There was a post on fake Hori screen protectors last June 2006. Here is the link.
Counterfeit Hori Screen Protectors on eBay?

Hori

I have the Hori screen protectors and they are EXCELLENT!!
I bought them from DecalGirl along with a skin:HORI DS Lite Screen Protector - $6.50

If there is a Fry's near you you can also go to them.
DS Lite Protective Filter - Nintendo DS Lite At Fry's[/quote]
After reading post #7, I was under the impression that the Hori protectors in Japan/Asia markets are different from those in the American market (static cling v.s. adhesive). Now, you seem to indicate that they are the same. I bought one at Fry's Electronics but I prefer a static cling instead of adhesive version that could leave residuals behind.

Clarification is appreciated :)

I had the hori screen protectors on my original DS and it showed scratches on it. I just bought the invisible shield and thus far it is the best screen protector I've had. The pelican ones are decent, but the best you can get right now is the invisible shield.

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/NTNDSLS.html
If your screen protector does get scratched for some reason, they offer free replacements.

[quote name='yayece']I think you can just buy the DS Lite ones. If I recall correctly, the only difference between Hori's DS and DSL screen protectors is the top screen protector. (On the DSL, the top screen is slightly recessed, and the screen protector fits in there. For the DS, the top screen is flat, and that screen protector goes over the whole thing. The bottom/touch screen is identical)[/quote]sweet thanks for the info buddy :)

I know everyone knows this:
A screen protector is supposed to take the brunt of the stylus activity and eventually show scratches that would invevitably be a permanent mark if there were no screen protector. They are a cheap, disposable and replaceable alternative to replacing the touchscreen.
Rather than trying to find one that is scratch proof, we should refocus and find one that is easy to apply, shows no bubbles, maintains the true clarity and does not degrade the usefullness of the touch screen when applied. Thats what brought me to the Hori brand. Others will disagree others will agree. It all comes down to personal preference

Heres another article I saved from this site while learning about them awhile ago:
BestSkinsEver vs invisibleSHIELD DS Lite Skin

This is a great topic filled with usefull info and links for the next CAG!!!
Good luck OP and let us know what you ended up getting!!

[quote name='eau']After reading post #7, I was under the impression that the Hori protectors in Japan/Asia markets are different from those in the American market (static cling v.s. adhesive). Now, you seem to indicate that they are the same. I bought one at Fry's Electronics but I prefer a static cling instead of adhesive version that could leave residuals behind.

Clarification is appreciated :)[/quote]

Shit, okay, I got a little turned around. I really apologzie - shouldn't rely on my memory so much.

The difference, after reading old posts on this forum is between the DS phat Hori protectors and the DSL Horis.

The phat ones are static cling, while the DSL's are sticky-goo stuff. Some people say they ended up with residue, some say they haven't.

Yea I just ordered a Zune and DS Lite screen protector from bestskinsever.com, so hopefully they are good. That gamershell review made me choose bestskinsever over invisibleshield.

I'm using the Hori screen protectors on my DS lite. Very transparent and no residual at all. I'm happy :D

bread's done
Back