Question about Sin City that has me confused (movie spoilers).

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
What is Josh Hartnett's character in the whole movie? He shows up for a second in the beginning and shoots some girl. Then he shows up at the end and offers a smoke to the hooker that betrayed the others and she freaks out when she sees him. WHY?

When I saw the movie, I thought he was just a Jack-The-Ripper style killer, and none of my family got the notion that he was a hitman either.

Also - I don't think Becky freaked out at him at the end. I think she was rather attracted to him - that was what I got out of it.

He's a hitman and he specializes in ppl who are too afraid to kill themselves. The girl in red was too scared to kill herself as well as the hooker at the end but the hooker didn't necessarily want to die but thought it would be better since her mom would get over her... at least that what I remember but I saw the movie a long time ago and I won't watch it again until the super-deluxe-mega-combo-awesome-pack DVD is out. The one out now is pretty barebones.

[quote name='jaykrue']He's a hitman and he specializes in ppl who are too afraid to kill themselves. The girl in red was too scared to kill herself as well as the hooker at the end but the hooker didn't necessarily want to die but thought it would be better since her mom would get over her... at least that what I remember but I saw the movie a long time ago and I won't watch it again until the super-deluxe-mega-combo-awesome-pack DVD is out. The one out now is pretty barebones.[/QUOTE]

it always amuses me when the director announces another edition before the original dvd is out and people still buy the barebones....freaking sheep

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']it always amuses me when the director announces another edition before the original dvd is out and people still buy the barebones....freaking sheep[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps some of us don't give a damn about all the add-on crap and are too cheapass to cough up the extra $5 it adds to the price tag. My only regret is that the regular version will hit $10 in a few months when the director's cut comes out.

[quote name='Jewelz23']Hitman.

I felt like this movie was overrated...I almost fell asleep during the flick.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this from a guy with a collateral avatar.:roll:

[quote name='zionoverfire']Or perhaps some of us don't give a damn about all the add-on crap and are too cheapass to cough up the extra $5 it adds to the price tag. My only regret is that the regular version will hit $10 in a few months when the director's cut comes out.[/QUOTE]

So which is it?

What's the baseline for owning the movie? Wanting it now for 16 bucks-ish or not wanting to wait to get it for 10-ish?

I can't follow you sometimes, you create your own riddles.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Or perhaps some of us don't give a damn about all the add-on crap and are too cheapass to cough up the extra $5 it adds to the price tag. My only regret is that the regular version will hit $10 in a few months when the director's cut comes out.[/QUOTE]
That's why I picked up the UMD version. Same price and features as the DVD, except the UMD is less likely to drop in price and I'm guessing they aren't going to make the deluxe edition for UMD's.

His job was to keep the peace in the city. Becky was the one that told the mob and got the hookers in trouble. Hartnett's character had to kill her so that noone says a thing about the murdered cops and mob guys.

[quote name='JimmieMac']So which is it?

What's the baseline for owning the movie? Wanting it now for 16 bucks-ish or not wanting to wait to get it for 10-ish?

I can't follow you sometimes, you create your own riddles.[/QUOTE]

My riddles? Take a look at your own handywork.:lol:

[quote name='zionoverfire']My riddles? Take a look at your own handywork.:lol:[/QUOTE]

Again, what are you talking about? I listed one example, asking for a solution but instead, you twist it back on me.

[quote name='bobo2k4']His job was to keep the peace in the city. Becky was the one that told the mob and got the hookers in trouble. Hartnett's character had to kill her so that noone says a thing about the murdered cops and mob guys.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. He is a hitman. Its really easy to follow people. :D He was hired to kill her for betraying the gang.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Again, what are you talking about? I listed one example, asking for a solution but instead, you twist it back on me.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how much effort you put into your "simple" questions. Ah well the sane my have their world but I will have my cake.

Some interesting interpretations in this thread... The Hartnett character becomes somewhat of a recurring character in the comic series, his role might become a lot clearer in the sequel (assuming they decide to keep him - they could just as easily cast another actor and differentiate the two parts if they want to. They never referred to his name in the actual comic the intro was based on - I wouldn't have known he was the same character as a future one if it weren't for the Letters section of one of the issues.)

Suffice it to say, yes, he is a criminal (who isn't in this world?) but he's more than just a hitman. As to who he works for and why he's killing these people... you'll probably have to wait for the sequel.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']it always amuses me when the director announces another edition before the original dvd is out and people still buy the barebones....freaking sheep[/QUOTE]

freaking sheep or not giving a shit...the only time ill go out of my way to buy something with the extras is if it costs the same and is out at the time of when i want it

as for the hartnett character...i didn't really get his character in the movie either...then again, we were 5 minutes late to the movie, so that probably makes sense...all that i understand is that he's an ugly unibrowed bitch that i have no understanding of how he's a "hot young actor"

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']freaking sheep or not giving a shit...the only time ill go out of my way to buy something with the extras is if it costs the same and is out at the time of when i want it[/QUOTE]

Wait, you already said you can barely tell the difference between DVD and VHS. If you don't care about special features, what's the point? They do look nice on your shelves though ... maybe that's enough. :lol:

I can usually agree with people, or at least understand them, when they say they don't wanna wait for the extras. But it's not like it's just some commentary tracks & interviews they're adding here. I'd say the ability to watch each storyline seperately & with a ton of extra footage to fill each out qualifies as a pretty major freakin' extra. So yea, I'll wait. ;)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Wait, you already said you can barely tell the difference between DVD and VHS. If you don't care about special features, what's the point? They do look nice on your shelves though ... maybe that's enough. :lol:[/QUOTE]

how dare you make sense to me!

I always thought he was just a regular hitman who got jobs and took people out and when he was done took all their jewerly and paychecks and stuff. If anyone who doesnt know wants to know why hes even in the movie heres the deal. That begining part was just filmed to convince Frank Miller that the movie could be done cause after Robocop 3 he had a falling out with Hollywood. The short story was from the 6th book which is a book of shorts. Now the ending that isnt in any books it was just filmed for closer to the begining part. The character Becky in the books dies in the allyway with all the other dudes in The Big Fat Kill. They just didnt kill her in the movie at that scene cause again they saved her for the closer.

[quote name='Tromack']He is a hitman. And you are retarded.[/QUOTE] Yes derrrrrrrrr
man sum ppl r so stupid!!! I second that statement you are retarded sir

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Some interesting interpretations in this thread... The Hartnett character becomes somewhat of a recurring character in the comic series, his role might become a lot clearer in the sequel (assuming they decide to keep him - they could just as easily cast another actor and differentiate the two parts if they want to. They never referred to his name in the actual comic the intro was based on - I wouldn't have known he was the same character as a future one if it weren't for the Letters section of one of the issues.)

Suffice it to say, yes, he is a criminal (who isn't in this world?) but he's more than just a hitman. As to who he works for and why he's killing these people... you'll probably have to wait for the sequel.[/QUOTE]

Wait...what other comics was he in? I own all the Sin City books and I only remember him being in a short story in Booze Broads & Bullets---the suave assassin i think.

Frank Miller left the character in for the audiences own interpretation. This character can be seen as dark or as light, good or evil, just like everyone else in the movie. The movie didn't show his story in the comic and the sequel will definitely give insight into his character. For now now, he can be seen as a murderer (evil) or getting revenge for all the people that die due to the hooker (not as evil).

I don't think Hartnett's character is just a hitman. For anyone that read The Big Fat Kill and A Dame To Kill For, you'd know that Dwight(Clive Owen's character) gets a new face. Gail also makes some comment in the movie about not recognizing him with his new face. The Sin City sequel is going to have A Dame To Kill For as part of the storyline, which ends with Dwight killing the "Dame" in the red dress, which is seen at the beginning of the Sin City movie. Long story short, I think Hartnett's character is Dwight. Make sense?

[quote name='NesHavok']Yes derrrrrrrrr
man sum ppl r so stupid!!! I second that statement you are retarded sir[/QUOTE]

You are in no position to be calling people stupid.

[quote name='Otherguy676']Frank Miller left the character in for the audiences own interpretation. This character can be seen as dark or as light, good or evil, just like everyone else in the movie. The movie didn't show his story in the comic and the sequel will definitely give insight into his character. For now now, he can be seen as a murderer (evil) or getting revenge for all the people that die due to the hooker (not as evil).[/QUOTE]

You people are reading too far into it. He's a hitman, nothing more. His moral inclinations are directly relative to the size of his paychecks, and that's the whole of it. They aren't good or evil. They just murder for money.

[quote name='soggierules']The Sin City sequel is going to have A Dame To Kill For as part of the storyline, which ends with Dwight killing the "Dame" in the red dress, which is seen at the beginning of the Sin City movie. Long story short, I think Hartnett's character is Dwight. Make sense?[/QUOTE]

Yes, "A Dame to Kill For" will be in the second movie; no, the "Dame" is not the same woman as the one seen at the beginning of the first film.

There are no gray areas to these characters, folks. Dwight is Dwight, and a hitman is a hitman.

[quote name='Ledhed']They aren't good or evil. They just murder for money.[/QUOTE]

Some people, "normal" people, would consider that evil. But not you. No, you're different. ;) :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Some people, "normal" people, would consider that evil. But not you. No, you're different. ;) :lol:[/QUOTE]

Most people, normal people, will do anything they can to avoid a fight. So you better cool those jets before this ends in fisticuffs. :boxing: ;)

Granted, murder itself is a pretty evil act, but the level of that evil is subject to the killer's intent. Good-minded people murder too, and that's the argument some are making in this thread. "Is the hitman something more? Which side is he really working for? What don't we know about him?"

No, he's just a hitman. He works for whichever side is cutting the biggest check. We know all we need to know about him.

I'm still laughing at the "the hitman is Dwight and the woman in red is the Dame" theory.

[quote name='soggierules']I don't think Hartnett's character is just a hitman. For anyone that read The Big Fat Kill and A Dame To Kill For, you'd know that Dwight(Clive Owen's character) gets a new face. Gail also makes some comment in the movie about not recognizing him with his new face. The Sin City sequel is going to have A Dame To Kill For as part of the storyline, which ends with Dwight killing the "Dame" in the red dress, which is seen at the beginning of the Sin City movie. Long story short, I think Hartnett's character is Dwight. Make sense?[/QUOTE]

In regular Sin City continuity, The Big Fat Kill (and thus the death of the hooker) takes place after A Dame to Kill For. Also, Dwight didn't kill the dame in those circumstances whatsoever.

[quote name='Ledhed']Most people, normal people, will do anything they can to avoid a fight. So you better cool those jets before this ends in fisticuffs. :boxing: ;)

Granted, murder itself is a pretty evil act, but the level of that evil is subject to the killer's intent. Good-minded people murder too, and that's the argument some are making in this thread. "Is the hitman something more? Which side is he really working for? What don't we know about him?"

No, he's just a hitman. He works for whichever side is cutting the biggest check. We know all we need to know about him.

I'm still laughing at the "the hitman is Dwight and the woman in red is the Dame" theory.[/QUOTE]

There are some who see all murder as equally evil, whether you're doing it to protect your family or to collect a check. There are also those who don't believe in good or evil at all. This isn't really the place for an ethical discussion. Personally, if given the opportunity, I'd like to kill people for money. Many, many, many people. But that's just me. :lol:

And yes, the hitman as Dwight idea is all sorts of wrong. :lol:

[quote name='Scorch']On a side note, chick from Gilmore Girls was hot in this movie.[/QUOTE]

Don't watch Gilmore Girls. Care to enlighten me with a pic or name?

[quote name='jaykrue']Don't watch Gilmore Girls. Care to enlighten me with a pic or name?[/QUOTE]

The chick he is talking about it Queen Latifah.

[quote name='bobo2k4']The chick he is talking about it Queen Latifah.[/QUOTE]

Queen Latifah wasn't in Sin City though :lol:

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Queen Latifah wasn't in Sin City though :lol:[/QUOTE]

You don't get jokes, do you?

[quote name='jaykrue']Don't watch Gilmore Girls. Care to enlighten me with a pic or name?[/QUOTE]

Alexis Bledel

Want to hear something funny? My Mom saw Sin City and she said she 'didn't get it'. So, naturally, I was dumbfounded and asked her what she didn't get about it. She said that she thought Benicio Del Toro's character was a reincarnation of Marv, played by Mickey Rourke. Then, she thought Clive Owen's character was Marv's reincarnation. She's nutty.

I might go pick it up tonight, since I already want to see it again, and I'll get my $15 worth before the SE comes out.

[quote name='arsenalgear']Wait...what other comics was he in? I own all the Sin City books and I only remember him being in a short story in Booze Broads & Bullets---the suave assassin i think.[/QUOTE]He's the Colonel. See: Most of the one-shots and shorts involving blue Delia, and he had a notable role in Hell and Back. He might have also been in some of the other miniseries, and he probably was, but I can't place him right now. I never would have pieced it together that they were the same person if it weren't for one of the Letters sections. In "The Customer is Always Right" he wasn't given a name.

Like I said, there's a good chance they'll just make The Colonel a separate character, as few people probably ever picked up on the "Customer" as his debut.

bread's done
Back