Question about Target Returns on Systems

oxidative

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
A question for the Target employees (past and present). The other day I bought a PSP for a friend who was having trouble finding one. He managed to find his own so I returned the one I bought. They had to open it to verify contents even though it was obviously factory sealed. The manager guy took one look at it and said "this looks like it's been opened." The return chick opened it, had no idea what she was looking for, deemed it complete and gave me my money back.

Soooo, my question:

What happens to this PSP? Is it sold open box? RTV'd? Just wondering since I've only ever noticed one item at Target that was obviously open-box-return but that was a Sammy Sosa action figure.

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity :)

With things like consoles, a company like Target will RTV it. I've never seen an open box console for sale there.

If you were to return it to EB, they'd probably sell it as preowned. Well, knowing EB, they'd probably reseal it and sell it as new, but that's a different story.

Its rare to see high volume stores put out returns for resale. Even when you see stores like Best Buy sell open box items - its usually a box someone has opened while in-store or a demo model or something. Most stuff is shipped back to the vendor.

That's why websites like http://www.outlet.philips.com exist. I'd assume most of the stuff on there are RTV TVs that they've checked to make sure work and heavily discount to get them out of inventory.

yes they will definetly RTV it, sony will probably just recycle back to a store somewhere, when something gets RTV'd the company will be their full credit back, even if the merchandise is defective/broken, thats why things like vg systems companys will tear that sucker right open and make sure everything is in the box so they can get their money back from the manufactorer.

[quote name='kp_assman']can i return an opened psp to target for a refund?[/QUOTE]

Unless it's defective, they probably will not accept it.

[quote name='supermariomelee']Unless it's defective, they probably will not accept it.[/QUOTE]

That's one battle I'd be curious to see how it works out.

From some Google searching I did, I think that they'd hit you with the 15% restocking fee they do for portable electronics in the case of a PSP, if it wasn't defective.

Pulled from over here:
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/target.html

[quote name='mmn']With things like consoles, a company like Target will RTV it. I've never seen an open box console for sale there.

If you were to return it to EB, they'd probably sell it as preowned. Well, knowing EB, they'd probably reseal it and sell it as new, but that's a different story.

Its rare to see high volume stores put out returns for resale. Even when you see stores like Best Buy sell open box items - its usually a box someone has opened while in-store or a demo model or something. Most stuff is shipped back to the vendor.

That's why websites like http://www.outlet.philips.com exist. I'd assume most of the stuff on there are RTV TVs that they've checked to make sure work and heavily discount to get them out of inventory.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, EB is going to return a PSP and give you $250 for it, then resell it used for $180. :roll: If so, why not just RETURN your own, and then ask to buy it right back for the used price?

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, EB is going to return a PSP and give you $250 for it, then resell it used for $180. :roll: If so, why not just RETURN your own, and then ask to buy it right back for the used price?[/QUOTE]

EB doesn't let you return open box items for a full refund like that. If it were still sealed, you could return it and they would then sell it as a new system, so you would still have to pay $250 to get it back. If you open the box EB will only give you the $180 (or whatever) credit for it or will exchange it for another PSP.

Well I work at Target currently and part of my duties are packing up all returned merchandise and I've gotta say, it seems that I pack up at least two psps a day. I don't know if its because they are defective or not but it seems people are returning them quite frequently.

We don't ever put out systems that are returned for the reason that we have to open them up to make sure that the contents inside are intact.

Well I work at Target currently and part of my duties are packing up all returned merchandise and I've gotta say, it seems that I pack up at least two psps a day. I don't know if its because they are defective or not but it seems people are returning them quite frequently.

We don't ever put out systems that are returned for the reason that we have to open them up to make sure that the contents inside are intact.

What if the box is merely "unsealed" ?

I ask because my PSP came in a box that was already unsealed but was in the stock of PSP's (box was unsealed but nothing else was touched it looked like) ~ It sucks that it was already open but the fact of the matter was that the system itself had no stuck pixels so I went ahead and took it because I felt bad i was already on my 3rd psp return ;)

[quote name='MrSneis']What if the box is merely "unsealed" ?

I ask because my PSP came in a box that was already unsealed but was in the stock of PSP's (box was unsealed but nothing else was touched it looked like) ~ It sucks that it was already open but the fact of the matter was that the system itself had no stuck pixels so I went ahead and took it because I felt bad i was already on my 3rd psp return ;)[/QUOTE]

Well actually I know that this had happened about a week ago at our target. We aren't supposed to sell opened systems but we've been so short pressed for them that a psp that was opened for a guest to examine was put right back on the shelf. I heard the guy that sold it being scolded for selling it opened.

bread's done
Back