Question about upconversion.

Danomano89

CAGiversary!
Okay, so i am debating on the new Gen of DVD players. But I have a novice question - A blue ray/HD DVD player can broadcast up to 1080p which is nice, but I have seen upconvert DVD players that broadcast up to 1080i and you dont have to repurchase DVD's. Also, they are half the price. I have a 720p/1080i HDTV LCD. But will there really be that big of a difference in quality?

If you're willing to spend the money to convert to Blu-Ray/HD-DVD, there is a noticable difference between a 1080p/1080i upscaling DVD player and a HD player. I watched the first episode of Planet Earth on both Blu-Ray and on a 1080p upscaling DVD player (720p/080i HDTV) and I could easily tell that the Blu-Ray version looked clearer and generally better. However, the difference isn't as great as DVD vs. VHS, as you can easily alternate watching HDDVDs and SDDVDs without much trouble. It's up to you if the cost of upgrading to HD (Player + HDDVDs) is worth it. The HD Player will play DVDs though, so that's not an issue.

[quote name='Danomano89']Okay, so i am debating on the new Gen of DVD players. But I have a novice question - A blue ray/HD DVD player can broadcast up to 1080p which is nice, but I have seen upconvert DVD players that broadcast up to 1080i and you dont have to repurchase DVD's. Also, they are half the price. I have a 720p/1080i HDTV LCD. But will there really be that big of a difference in quality?[/quote]

Standard dvds look $ on the PS3. That is all.

bread's done
Back