Question about video game return

b_ballin_cory

CAG Veteran
So I have a question to ask.  Is it illegal to return video games to walmart without a receipt that weren't purchased from Walmart?  I'm reading online and some people believe it to be so, although I feel that it isn't illegal and it should be up to the retailer to determine whether or not to return the item.  No I didn't steal anything from Walmart nor any other store. 

You are free to voice your opinion, but I'd really like to know if anyone actually knows about this topic, rather than spewing out a bunch of nonsense.  To be honest it does feel unethical, but definitely not illegal.

It is return fraud if you bought it at one store and return it to another. As you point out, however, it's up to the store. I've had a lot of success explaining the truth to the store, and at least getting a gift card for the return amount.

Just be honest and you'll have a clear conscience.

Check your individual state's criminal code, but this usually falls under the definition of theft by deception.  It is a criminal act. Whether or not Walmart (or whatever retailer you're ripping off) prosecutes is another matter.  OP, you "feel" like it isn't a crime, so apparently that makes it okay.  You claim you "didn't steal anything" but that is exactly what you're doing.  The store you commit your return fraud takes a loss by issuing credit or exchange for an inventory item they never had, whether or not you purchased the item legitimately at another store or not.

bread's done
Back