Question For 30+ Age Gamers - Do You Wish You Were Born Later in Life?

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!
This question is for the older gamers out there. Speaking strictly from a gaming perspective, do you wish you were born later in life? After all, gaming is pretty freaking sweet these days. Most of us have more than enough games to play with several games having infinite replayability. Games are longer, deeper, and more beautiful to look at than ever before.

Sometimes I do find myself jealous of young kids these days. They have all the time in the world to enjoy these games to the fullest while gaming time is a luxury for working adults. I live for the weekends when I can enjoy a good long gaming session. And half of those weekends are taken up by my girlfriend. And if we all live out our natural lives, I will die before these youngsters who will get to enjoy more amazing and most likely bigger games in the future after I'm gone.

However, yesterday, I started reading IGN's 100 greatest NES games, and became very nostalgic. Holy crap, I put some serious time in the NES back then. I was 12 years only when I got a NES for Christmas, and it totally blew me away. I realized that I played and beat most of the games on that list.
Games I totally forgot about like Section Z, Wizards and Warriors, and Legendary Wings. There was just a wonderful excitement with games back then that I fail to recapture these days. The only download craze kinda makes me sad because I can remember just loving those blue Capcom game boxes and wondering what kind of world lay inside that box. There was no internet or much gaming press so most games were a complete unknown to me.

In retrospect, I am happy to be a 37 year old gamer. The younger generations simply missed out on an incredible NES era and that magic just isn't there anymore.

Nah. I just turned 30 this year and for the most part wouldn't want to be younger for the purpose of gaming.

I had some very good times with the NES, SNES, and one. Playing amazing games that the short attention span ADD baby gamers of today will never experience or even have the patience for.

I still get to play the new games, and I have the money to get them on my terms and play when I want. I'm not 16 having to ask mommy to buy me the new Call of Duty.

So yeah I'm pretty happy where I am gaming wise.

No. I grew up on the NES and SNES and loved those games. Particularly the 16 bit era.

And as I'm still playing games today, it's not like I'm missing out the great games of today...

[quote name='panzerfaust']I think no matter what era you were born in, you probably had a blast with the current technology.

It's all relative.[/QUOTE]
^This.

Besides, now that I'm older, I may not have the (nearly) unlimited time I used to, I do have the money to buy most of the games I want. I missed a lot of great games as a kid.

+1

I'm glad to be an adult. I can play what I want, when I want. (Assuming the kids are asleep).

I grew up on all the old nes and pc games. What fun we had blowing our carterdiges
and trying to configure our boot systems so ultima 7 would start.
I'd hate to be 14 or so now and dealing with all the stress and drama of online competitons and backstabbing among my school age chums.

If anything I wish I was born earlier. At 31, I missed the golden era of arcades by being too young to really do much more than get slaughtered in Galaga at 3 years old.

Not at all. I actually am very satisfied with all that I've gotten to experience so far when it comes to gaming. I was there for the rise of Atari, my first system was an Atari 2600 and it only got better from there. I got to see the beginning of the console wars, NES vs Sega master system, and even got to enjoy arcades back when they were still "quarter munchers"

There's always some new system/game that's going to be coming out down the road that I probably won't get to enjoy as much as I would have if I were younger, but being able to say that I was apart of what I consider the golden age of gaming makes me just as happy.

Just turned 30 and have many fond memories of playing games with my dad on the Commodore 64.

I'd argue real gamers wish they were born earlier to see a better perspective of the history of gaming. I can't imagine being a teen and missing all the classics. Sure you can go back and play the one's everyone says are great, but there are so many games I loved back in the day that nobody talks about today.

I've had all the systems through the years, Atari, NES, SNES/Genesis, SEGA CD, Panasonic 3DO, Dreamcast, PSX, etc...I wouldn't have it any other way!

It's funny how people told you that you were wasting time playing games when you were young, but when you get older the only thing you regret is not playing more of them.

Younger gamers will never know the thrill of walking into the arcade and seeing a new game just about every time. Completely different game mechanics and genres, too... not just the same recycled things like today. And without the internet, most of the time it was a complete surprise. And then you heard rumors about some cool game no one knew about or an obscure sequel... when you traveled, you had to make sure to stop in some arcades to see if they had games you didn't back home in your local arcades.

And really the wonder of home systems was just as cool. Often you did not hear about new games until they were released... and the leaps in technology were much more "impressive" than today. Imagine going from Pong to 2600 Superman within a year or two... then 2600 Home Run to Intellivision Baseball... then Colecovision Donkey Kong.

I'm 44, and happy to live through that. Being 16 in 1982 was the perfect apex to see and appreciate all of the games before... and after!

[quote name='soonersfan60']Younger gamers will never know the thrill of walking into the arcade and seeing a new game just about every time. Completely different game mechanics and genres, too... not just the same recycled things like today. And without the internet, most of the time it was a complete surprise. And then you heard rumors about some cool game no one knew about or an obscure sequel... when you traveled, you had to make sure to stop in some arcades to see if they had games you didn't back home in your local arcades.

And really the wonder of home systems was just as cool. Often you did not hear about new games until they were released... and the leaps in technology were much more "impressive" than today. Imagine going from Pong to 2600 Superman within a year or two... then 2600 Home Run to Intellivision Baseball... then Colecovision Donkey Kong.

I'm 44, and happy to live through that. Being 16 in 1982 was the perfect apex to see and appreciate all of the games before... and after![/QUOTE]

In retrospect, I am happy to be a 37 year old gamer. The younger generations simply missed out on an incredible NES era and that magic just isn't there anymore.

Most of the time, the arcade was a window to what you were going to play at home within a year or so.

Arcades now are a shell of what they used to be.

Although when I go to pinball meetings, I see a few youngsters there who appreciate it.

I'm 34 and was happy to grow up in the NES era. I saw the golden age of arcades, several new leaps in technology, and the dawn of Internet gaming (xband/Dreamcast).

I don't think anyone should feel sad to have started with the NES era. That was a great time for gaming, and I still love to go back and play games from the NES or SNES that I may have missed out on back then and replay some of my childhood favorites. As long as you weren't already an adult by the time the NES came out, then I don't think you should wish to have been born later.

I was reading an excerpt from a new book on the history of video games, and it mentioned that back then, arcades were as ubiquitous as Starbucks is today. Was that really true? I just can't imagine that, but that could be because I'm from NYC and it's not uncommon for Starbucks to be literally across the street from each other.

I think older games stimulated your creativity more.

I remeber Defender being one of the more graphically intense games and it looked like what you see below.

I had fun imagining what the aliens looked like, what was going on, etc.

defender_screen3.jpg

Games today are awesome but with the rare exception they don't spark your imagination like those old games did.

I'm 28 but I figure I'm damn close enough to answer...

I'm glad I'm at least as old as I am and would have been born earlier if I had a choice. Back in the day when you only really got new games on your birthday (july for me) or xmas, you knew how to really make shitty games seem worthwhile (I can't believe how much time I actually spent playing Festers Quest and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde back then). The quality of even the shitty games nowadays is far superior to what was offered back then (some games were downright broken and there was no patching). To wrap it up, I came up with the NES at a young age and while it was a great mainstream jumpstart for home gaming, I wish I would have had the resources I do now back when the SNES and Sega were out to pick up more of those games in their prime.

Nope. Growing up in the 80's(!) I got to see the the rise of Nintendo, The fall of Sega (heck and Japan for that matter.) The arcade s etc, etc.

The nostalgia alone is worth it. Do you remember the first time you played Super Mario? Now imagine waking up Christmas day and opening up a brand new NES? Going to your friends houses in the winter to play Rush N Attack, Karnov, Ikari Warriors or Operation Wolf and having their mom serve you hot coco! Or reading Nintendo Power? it's like the first time you fell in love. Who could forget those awful box arts? that I thought was cool when I was 11 It's something that no matter what happens to you, you'll always remember it.
I remember I once read about a filmmaker from Japan who once made this indie film which said that when you die you go to a 'Heaven' in which you were the happiest. That would be the 'Heaven' I would like to go too.

250px-Rygar_NES_Boxart.jpg
messageview.cfm
Abadox_box_art.jpg
221422-willow_nes_boxart_large.jpg
shatterhand.jpg
KidNiki--article_image.jpg
587752_47014_front.jpg

Would you wanna play any of those games?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whitereflection']I was reading an excerpt from a new book on the history of video games, and it mentioned that back then, arcades were as ubiquitous as Starbucks is today. Was that really true? I just can't imagine that, but that could be because I'm from NYC and it's not uncommon for Starbucks to be literally across the street from each other.[/QUOTE]

Yes! I remember the times I would go with to the arcade and play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Legend Of Kage or Contra and saying: 'Man I can't wait til that comes out on the NES!' Yes, they were like Starbucks. In my hometown there were two arcades on opposite sides of one mall. Some used to serve pizza and its wasn't uncommon for some lucky kid to have a birthday party there with his friends. The thrill of having a pocket of quarters and spending hours there playing games with your buds was unbelievable! Playing games like Gauntlet was the 1980's version of WOW.

587752_47014_front.jpg

When did Kurt Russell pose/model for video game coverart? :rofl:

Seriously though, I grew up in the 80's as well and I wouldn't change that for anything.

But I do wish games would stop being so overhyped nowadays, as many of the titles coming out after being hyped like crazy turn out to be barely polished turds.

[quote name='whitereflection']I was reading an excerpt from a new book on the history of video games, and it mentioned that back then, arcades were as ubiquitous as Starbucks is today. Was that really true? I just can't imagine that, but that could be because I'm from NYC and it's not uncommon for Starbucks to be literally across the street from each other.[/QUOTE]

There used to be mini arcades inside of K-Mart and Sears stores. Even Kroger (major grocery chain) had a couple of arcade games inside. One of the things I saw at a trade show (which never took off, at least not around here) was an outdoor enclosure for an individual arcade game to shelter it from the elements so that you could literally put one outside on the sidewalk if you didn't have enough room inside your store location for an arcade game!

I'm glad I was at the perfect age to enjoy classics like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. when they were the cutting edge.

Today's games do seem to be generally easier and more concise than back in the NES/SNES days, so I do think games are growing up with the players in terms of the time and dedication that we can reasonably commit now that we have families.

I live in a smaller town, about 40,000 people, and we had 3 arcades in it during the arcade heyday, not to mention that all the stores had games in them. Our Wal Mart's front entrance was about 15-20 video games to play, it was a mini arcade. We had a Pizzazz Pizza parlor, that was an arcade and pizza place. I spent more money in a gas station by our school playing Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam than I care to ever admit. We currently have none, and you'd be hard pressed to find an upright arcade cabinet in working condition anywhere, it's really kind of sad.

Arcades used to be a gathering point, a social hub for kids to hang out at, if I was a kid now, I'd have no reason to leave the house. ;)

Yes and no. If i was younger how would i afford all these great systems and games? Just wish my eyes could keep up with some of the games.

Yep, I remember PacMan being just everywhere. Grocery store, laundry mat. I even heard of a funeral parlor having an arcade machine. lol

My best birthdays were going to Ken's Pizza and my parents giving me a ton of quarters to play Centipede and Space Invaders. Good memories.

[quote name='nystate']Nope. Growing up in the 80's(!) I got to see the the rise of Nintendo, The fall of Sega (heck and Japan for that matter.) The arcade s etc, etc.

The nostalgia alone is worth it. Do you remember the first time you played Super Mario? Now imagine waking up Christmas day and opening up a brand new NES? Going to your friends houses in the winter to play Rush N Attack, Karnov, Ikari Warriors or Operation Wolf and having their mom serve you hot coco! Or reading Nintendo Power? it's like the first time you fell in love. Who could forget those awful box arts? that I thought was cool when I was 11 It's something that no matter what happens to you, you'll always remember it.
I remember I once read about a filmmaker from Japan who once made this indie film which said that when you die you go to a 'Heaven' in which you were the happiest. That would be the 'Heaven' I would like to go too.

250px-Rygar_NES_Boxart.jpg
messageview.cfm
Abadox_box_art.jpg
221422-willow_nes_boxart_large.jpg
shatterhand.jpg
KidNiki--article_image.jpg
587752_47014_front.jpg

Would you wanna play any of those games?[/QUOTE]

I remember saving up $50 bucks to buy Kid Niki. So disappointed later when the game was like only 1 hour long.

I don't regret being born when I was, vidro game wise either. At 32, I saw the death of arcades. Arcades were cool, but notevery NES translation was good. I remember loving 'Bad Dudes'. When it made it to tje NES my buddy rented it (no money to buy it), and both of us were disappointed.

My problem would be money. I don't have as much time, but I can get 4 games a nonth or more if I want to. My parents thought 3-4 games regardless of cost, was enough for Christmas (and my bday is by Christmas ), and other relatives thought games weren't as good as books. So, I'm happy that I can get what I want now

Would definitely not change being raised on the 2600 and just about all systems following it...my Dad and I used to sit up til 3 in the morning playing space invaders until it would "roll over" as my Dad called it and just gray the screen at a million points or whatever the total was and just stop...some ending screen!

But I also feel proud that I'm a seasoned vet at some of the most challenging games ever to come out. Depending on what age you were, how many of you remember playing these ball breaking games over and over and over until you had every boss pattern, every secret, etc. absolutely memorized? I'm talking going thru the entire adventure of Ghosts n' Goblins TWICE so you could win it with the stupid angel bracelet weapon...the worst damn weapon in the game, just to see the "true" ending?

Fighting Mike Tyson 100 times until you memorized every time he was about to throw his damn lightning uppercuts and you could dodge them and put the bastard down. I can still remember the damn code to take you straight to fighting him, but sometimes have to think about what my damn Soc. Sec. # is, LOL. Or the Mega Mans, or speed runs thru Super Mario Bros. to see who can get to the ending in the 4 minutes or whatever it took.

The shit we used to do on these games when we were younger was absolutely insane! How many of you would make sure you would get as many coins in the sub world in Super Mario 2 and be able to line up 3 cherries in a row every time on the slot machine thing at the end of the levels and max out your lives. And I think a lot of us can still do it, even if it takes us a little while to warm up the ole reflexes. If some of you classic games folks haven't tried out Super Meat Boy on XBLA yet, don't deprive yourself. My wife watches me play that game and wonders how a human being can do the shit the game expects you to do, but we were weaned on stuff like this, and it comes naturally to us.

Sorry for the extended trip down memory lane, but past accomplishments like this still make me proud, and we could probably start one of the biggest threads on this site if we posted crazy ass things we used to do on these games! But TIME is the greatest enemy I face between my most beloved form of escapism from the daily grind of work and life, and I fear that it will be the one monster I cannot vanquish to get to playing all of these new games I still buy consistently to this day.

I do still hold out for the hope that maybe I will win the lottery and be able to quit my job and finally put the sword to my backlog of games, LOL. So in that respect, yes I envy the whippersnappers that can put the amount of time into gaming that I would like to, but I would not change my history one bit. And one offer of advice to the young impatient ones out there who burn thru one game after another and think "meh"...some of these epic games are so much more if you absorb everything the game has in it to offer, side quests, actually reading the story dialogue, etc. Most people wouldn't rent a movie they wanted to see and then after 15 minutes fast forward to the ending, so why would you rush through a game like that and waste the things the developers put in their games to enhance the experience?

And yes I know this method of thinking directly conflicts with the attitude "there isn't enough time in my day to get thru all these games", such is the dilemma, for this 36 year old gamer at least :). If only I had something like this to earn extra hours in a day >>>
SMB2c.png

I'd love to be young again but it has nothing to do with Videogames.

In gaming terms, I'm glad I grew up when I did at the dawn of videogames because I grew up with games and watched them develop from pong up to what we have now.

If you've never played Atari 2600 before, there's no way you can appreciate it now. But back in the day those games were cutting edge and we loved them.

I can play any game from NES on up and still appreciate it. For that I am thankful.

Besides, even as a married adult, I still get to play alot of games (I don't have any kids). Plus my wife is a gamer so she supports my hobby. This weekend I'll be playing GT5 while she gets ready for WoW Cataclysm.

[quote name='Mojo691']Would definitely not change being raised on the 2600 and just about all systems following it...my Dad and I used to sit up til 3 in the morning playing space invaders until it would "roll over" as my Dad called it and just gray the screen at a million points or whatever the total was and just stop...some ending screen!

But I also feel proud that I'm a seasoned vet at some of the most challenging games ever to come out. Depending on what age you were, how many of you remember playing these ball breaking games over and over and over until you had every boss pattern, every secret, etc. absolutely memorized? I'm talking going thru the entire adventure of Ghosts n' Goblins TWICE so you could win it with the stupid angel bracelet weapon...the worst damn weapon in the game, just to see the "true" ending?

Fighting Mike Tyson 100 times until you memorized every time he was about to throw his damn lightning uppercuts and you could dodge them and put the bastard down. I can still remember the damn code to take you straight to fighting him, but sometimes have to think about what my damn Soc. Sec. # is, LOL. Or the Mega Mans, or speed runs thru Super Mario Bros. to see who can get to the ending in the 4 minutes or whatever it took.

The shit we used to do on these games when we were younger was absolutely insane! How many of you would make sure you would get as many coins in the sub world in Super Mario 2 and be able to line up 3 cherries in a row every time on the slot machine thing at the end of the levels and max out your lives. And I think a lot of us can still do it, even if it takes us a little while to warm up the ole reflexes. If some of you classic games folks haven't tried out Super Meat Boy on XBLA yet, don't deprive yourself. My wife watches me play that game and wonders how a human being can do the shit the game expects you to do, but we were weaned on stuff like this, and it comes naturally to us.

Sorry for the extended trip down memory lane, but past accomplishments like this still make me proud, and we could probably start one of the biggest threads on this site if we posted crazy ass things we used to do on these games! But TIME is the greatest enemy I face between my most beloved form of escapism from the daily grind of work and life, and I fear that it will be the one monster I cannot vanquish to get to playing all of these new games I still buy consistently to this day.

I do still hold out for the hope that maybe I will win the lottery and be able to quit my job and finally put the sword to my backlog of games, LOL. So in that respect, yes I envy the whippersnappers that can put the amount of time into gaming that I would like to, but I would not change my history one bit. And one offer of advice to the young impatient ones out there who burn thru one game after another and think "meh"...some of these epic games are so much more if you absorb everything the game has in it to offer, side quests, actually reading the story dialogue, etc. Most people wouldn't rent a movie they wanted to see and then after 15 minutes fast forward to the ending, so why would you rush through a game like that and waste the things the developers put in their games to enhance the experience?

And yes I know this method of thinking directly conflicts with the attitude "there isn't enough time in my day to get thru all these games", such is the dilemma, for this 36 year old gamer at least :). If only I had something like this to earn extra hours in a day >>>
SMB2c.png
[/QUOTE]

Lol, good post. I remember being thrilled just to see a new animation in Punchout. The NES just had something for everyone. One game that didn't make the list was Goglo 13. That game blew me a way. It was a James Bond type game with sniper missions and even a 3D maze!

The only (gaming related) reason I would like to be a teenager now is to experience the online aspect of games with friends. It's next to impossible to coordinate schedules with adults in their late 30s, early 40s (in my experience anyway).

That sounds awesome. I'm just young enough to have missed the heyday of arcades. I hope when hologram technology is perfected, someone can make like an 80's theme park where you can play Galaga with kids sporting mullets.

Interesting question. I think gaming-wise, I am perfectly happy with being able to see the industry rise from its infancy. The only time when I wish that I was born later into the future is when I started thinking about all the injustices in the world and how I would love to see the day when there is nothing but peace and prosperity in this world... but then again, that may never happen :)

I'm 30 and I just wish I had the time to play games like the younger gamers do now. They can put in so much time playing online and going through this catalog of great titles that are out now. I laugh when they complain about graphics and think of playing Super Mario Brothers for the first time as a child.

But I wouldn't trade it. We grew up with the industry. I'm a little young for the hardcore original arcades, but I played in my fair share growing up starting with Pac-man and Gauntlet. And my god, we had the SNES. Best system ever.

I'm 29 and I wish I was older in this regard, so that I could have had a first hand perspective on the first 2 console generations. I vaguely remember playing on an Atari 2600 back around 1985 or so but it's hard to remember much. Even being able to play those older games now, it's easy to lose sight of how revolutionary some of them were at the time since they were old by the time I started playing.

I'm 34, and I would say no, I am glad to have entered into video game history when I did. I started gaming on an Atari 800, and later the NES. If I were to have grown up in maybe the N64 or GCN period, or even now in this generation, I would have completely missed out on a lot of the classic games. I don't think a lot of younger kids these days can really have the appreciation for some of the classics--a lot of these older games simply do not age well.

Some of my fondest memories are playing my SNES; sure, if you're not old enough to have experienced the SNES games the first time, you can still do it. However, there must be something lost in translation when you play Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and then go back and play A Link to the Past, for example.

The only thing that makes me envious of the younger crowd now, is that I simply do not have the time to play all of the games that are out these days. But I suppose that being older affords me the ability to be able to buy any game I desire--a luxury that I did not have as a child. So there are definitely trade-offs, but overall, I think the benefits of growing up in the Atari/NES era outweigh the negative aspects.

I think the late 70's early 80's is the perfect era to be born in for video games. I almost missed the first generation but I'm glad I only got a taste of it since 99% of the games where crap.

I definitely wouldn't want to be born later and miss the 16-bit Renaissance. That was the best generation of gaming right there.

33yo, Family started with Coleco Vision. Wouldn't trade my age for the world. Perfect time to grow up through all the major changes over the years. SNES gave me the best memories, Sega CD killed my interest in gaming for a few years and I skipped the 3DO, Playstation and Saturn launch. Nintendo 64 is what got me back into it and been into it ever since.

Sort of related to some other stuff but I'm very happy to have been ~18 during the heyday of the Japanese Saturn. I'll never forget driving over to Starland from George Mason University, getting my Saturn modded, and buying X-men vs. Streetfighter, Firepro S, and Street Fighter Collection within about a month.

As much as I loved the 16-bit generation, I spent more time playing Saturn games with my friends. We had some epic battles across Capcom's fighting games.

I wish games were still like the 16-bit era. All people seem to care about now is multiplayer, unlockables, game length and over-the-top violence.

I'm in my late 20's and glad I grew up when I did. I think I was born in the sweet spot of gaming. I got to see some great games on the NES when they came out and had a cohesive all around package, including a good story. The same can't be said for the Atari or older systems given their graphical limitations.
Arcades weren't as ubiquitous for me as maybe a few older people but they were still fairly common. You'd usually see them at gas stations, inside a Wal-Mart and at most malls. In fact you'd could tell when a mall was about to die because it wouldn't have an arcade.
I saw the peak of 2D gaming with the Saturn. I suppose I should say sprite.
I saw Western PC games back when they weren't just all FPS garbage. Secret Of Monkey Island sticks out in my head. The shareware collections on CD and shareware in general. Duke Nukem I remember in 2D FIRST, not 3D.
For the arcades I remember D&D: Shadow Over Mysteria for play and all most of the other Capcom beat em' up's. Thank the assholes at Hasbro we'll never fucking see a port of the former again, likely instead we'll see some garbage new game with the license that someone paid Hasbro hand over fist for.
I will say this. I doubt most young kids these days could even tolerate SNES games which is a fucking shame considering how well 16 and 32 bit 2D stands up still these days to my thoughts.

No way would I give up having grown up in the golden age of the NES. I played some damn fine games in the 8- and 16-bit era that I know I wouldn't be able to appreciate today. Original Final Fantasy? I can still pop that in every year or so and have a blast. And at the same time, having seen the beginning I can really appreciate how the medium has evolved and enjoy what we're playing today all the more.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Yep, I remember PacMan being just everywhere. Grocery store, laundry mat. I even heard of a funeral parlor having an arcade machine. lol[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, my dentist's office had Pac Man! And there was this pizza place called Freddie's that I would beg my parents to take me to every weekend because they had an arcade in the back. If not that, I could walk down to the bowling alley for my upright fix. Ahhh, fond memories of Off Road and TMNT, when your skill determined how much play time your quarter was worth!

Do I wish I was born later?

fuck no. I like being an adult and being able to buy my own games, rather than waiting for Mommy and Daddy to get me a few for Xmas and my birthday (and no child would be allowed to play Grand Theft Auto in their house). And there is no way my parents ever would have paid money for an online console, or $400 for a gaming system. My parents were--and still are--broke.

Plus it has been wonderful to participate in the evolution of gaming over the years (playing arcade games standing on a stool, to atari to 8bit to today).

bread's done
Back